[SOLVED] On a Dell XPS Headset Jack, can you record in Stereo?

john-2620

Honorable
May 10, 2018
I am going to purchase a new Dell desktop and I want to be able to record in stereo. Everything I have read points me in the direction of a sound card internal or external because I cannot see how a headset Jack would work. Hence I am here. It appears a lot has changed since I purchase my last desktop!

Solution
Hi John-2620.

Yes you will be able to record in stereo. Motherboard has integrated audio now and it's all stereo and surround.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Maybe not the "headset jack" on the FRONT of the desktop. In fact, for a headset there normally will be a PAIR of jacks. One is an output for the stereo headphones; the other is an input for the headset microphone. But I am not fully confident that input on the front is stereo, since most headset mics are not.

On the other hand, the mobo also will have some audio jacks on the REAR panel - usually from three to five. What functions they perform often is changeable according to what you are doing. But there will always be a stereo Line Output (e.g. front speakers), a stereo Line Input (e.g. from an amp or pre-amp), and a stereo Mic In for input from a Mic (as opposed to an amplified source) that IS a stereo source. My old systerm had those plus two additional outputs: one for front centre and subwoofer speakers, and another for rear stereo speakers. All five of those jacks, then, were for two channels of audio each.

Not to confuse you, but my new system has only three rear jacks, plus the two on the front for headset. To use them for my 5.1 channel speaker system, this is one of the possible configurations: of the rear panel three, we have front stereo, front centre/subwoofer, and rear stereo. Then to get the Stereo Mic Input, I use the front panel jack for the headset Mic, and that jack IS set up for stereo Mic input. So both systems DO have stereo Mic input capability.