Question One GPU fan Spinning at MAX after Clean and Repaste

Nov 13, 2023
Hey,

I just finished cleaning my 3070ti FE. The fans were starting to run a bit loud and i just recently cleaned my PC so thought I might as well do the GPU as well and then dont have to touch it for a while. I took it apart, cleaned the fans and re applied some new thermal paste. The old paste was already really hard for a newish card. after reassembling and putting the GPU back in the PC i booted, and now one of the fans (Bottom/Exhuast) is spinning on max and its soooo loud. I opened up afterburner and tried to turn it down, but it wouldnt work. At first I thought it wasnt doing anything at all. I started messing with auto and manbual and realised If i turn fan speed to Auto, at 30 c the fans completely turn off. If i load a game, the bottom fan INSTANTLY goes to max, but then turns off again once temps have cooled. Also, if the fans are off and i try to set the speed anywhere between 1-100, the fan will just go to max regardless of the number i set. Top fan seems to be completely fine and works perfectly with afterburner, its just the bottom one going absolutely bonkers

Do i need a new fan?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I don't think you need a new fan. I'd be concerned about the reassembly of the card once you'd reapplied the thermal paste. Did you reverse the order in which you'd disassembled it? Did you make sure that the thermal pads weren't touched or at the very least in their appropriate locations?

Try uninstalling and manually reinstalling Afterburner in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Latest posts