One Laptop Per Child Disappoints in New Study

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnpombrio

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
Problems are solvable. The problem here is the lack of a good use for the laptops. Once there are engaging and fun learning applications on the machines, they will become more useful. The idea is sound, the implementation is off. This is true all over the world. We are definitely not ready for education without teachers yet.

amdwilliam1985

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
[citation][nom]capt_taco[/nom]I grew up in the 1980s and went to high school in the 1990s, and we had maybe one computer per classroom throughout, and we got maybe one hour a week in the computer lab to do something different.Guess what? Everything turned out fine. The kind of learning you do in elementary and middle school, and for the most part high school, you don't really need a computer for. Seems like they want these people to have computers just to have them.[/citation]

I agree with you, I think laptop for children are overkill.
So it looks like it's time for OLPCS(One Laptop Per College Student).

jonnyboyC

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
I feel i can say that modern computer are essentially useless without the internet. I know what i'm probably actively using the internet in one form or another 95% of the time. I also feel that most of my spontaneous learning comes from the internet as well. saying to myself i wonder x then go find some information on that then in an article or report see something else i'm not sure of find out what that is. Again without the internt these laptop are essentially an expensive calculator and paper for word documents.

sac_cb

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
[citation][nom]jonnyboyC[/nom]I feel i can say that modern computer are essentially useless without the internet. I know what i'm probably actively using the internet in one form or another 95% of the time. I also feel that most of my spontaneous learning comes from the internet as well. saying to myself i wonder x then go find some information on that then in an article or report see something else i'm not sure of find out what that is. Again without the internt these laptop are essentially an expensive calculator and paper for word documents.[/citation]

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/science-research-internet-psychology-brain,news-14748.html

blurr91

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2004
Elementary schools should teach the basics of reading, writing, and arithmetics. People need to understand what they're reading, express their thoughts clearly, and deal with numbers, before moving on to more complex subjects. We don't need computers to teach kids how to read, write, and do math.

userngalan

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011
the p&g here in the philippines has a project of giving this kind of laptop in elementary pupils. but i don't think that this can really help the student from their studies.. it has a lack of apps. just like the review said

kronos_cornelius

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
The problem is lack of Internet. I know I take a day off when my Internet is down.

Instead of focusing on the poorest, OLPC should go to the middle class in poor countries. By helping the middle class with resource ( scholarships, and computer ) the number of professional in that country increase, which means we would have people that know the country's problem better than anybody else (the natives) with the skills to fix them. And the success of the middle class can raise the number of resource dedicated to the poor.

The focus should be on creating a snow ball effect. Having foreigners throw money at problems, and study the problem from afar will never work.

Status
Not open for further replies.