[SOLVED] One monitor appears dull when using usb to hdmi adapter?

Dec 26, 2020
Hello, I recently bought two monitors for my laptop, with these I also bought a usb to hdmi adapter. It appears that the monitor using the splitter appears much duller than the one not using the adapter, I am wondering if this is a problem with the splitter, or if it is something I can fix. I am using a j5create USB 3.0 to 4k HDMI Display Adapter with Windows 10 and a USB 3.0 port. Disregard what I said above about the USB 2.0 limitations. I am plugging the adapter directly into the USB 3.0 ports, tell me if you need anymore information, thanks.

Last edited:
Solution
it looks like thats what windows uses to manage it yeah, J5Create Version 15.01.0128.3179 might be worth trying if you can find the driver, iv been reading someone had problems with a windows update, it updated the drivers from J5Create Version 15.01.0128.3179 to Trigger 6 etc and it borked things up, i can't say it will make things clearer but playing with the drivers can help, generally you find that in the device manager, right click and click update, and then manually browse for the file you downloaded.

But yeah generally these things never really work as you would hope, iv tried a few display adapters in the past, never USB and yeah..

Obiwancanabi

Proper
Dec 24, 2020
can you put both on USB adapters, atleast they will both look the same dullness :D correct in menus as much as you can, if you can

idk the things you mean but do they have any powered versions, splitting signals will decrease the power in the lines, some splitters have amplifiers to get that signal back up to full strength

Dec 26, 2020
can you put both on USB adapters, atleast they will both look the same dullness :D correct in menus as much as you can, if you can

idk the things you mean but do they have any powered versions, splitting signals will decrease the power in the lines, some splitters have amplifiers to get that signal back up to full strength
That would be a solution:tearsofjoy: but not the one I was looking for though, thanks.

Reactions: Obiwancanabi
Dec 26, 2020
show us what you are working with theres a few ways of doing it
I am using a j5create USB 3.0 to 4k HDMI Display Adapter with Windows 10 and a USB 3.0 port. Disregard what I said above about the USB 2.0 limitations. I am plugging the adapter directly into the USB 3.0 ports, tell me if you need anymore information, thanks.

Obiwancanabi

Proper
Dec 24, 2020
I am using a j5create USB 3.0 to 4k HDMI Display Adapter with Windows 10 and a USB 3.0 port. Disregard what I said above about the USB 2.0 limitations. I am plugging the adapter directly into the USB 3.0 ports, tell me if you need anymore information, thanks.
all good, have you tried any different resolutions? 1080 will almost certainly work better than 4k

Dec 26, 2020
all good, have you tried any different resolutions? 1080 will almost certainly work better than 4k
Do you know how I would go about doing this? I am familiar with windows, but unfamiliar with changing resolutions, I can see that I can change between 1980x1260 and stuff like that but I am unable to find where to switch 1080 and 4K, thanks again.

Obiwancanabi

Proper
Dec 24, 2020
yeah sorry its just that display size that you are looking for, 4096x2160 is 4k, 2560x1440 for 1440 or 1920x1080 for standard HD right click on the desktop in an empty area and go Display settings, click on identify to figure out which screen is which and then click the display graphic for that screen, scroll down and you can change that one screens display output. your tv should adjust once the setting is applied, if it doesnt come back on or improve click no to discard changes

Obiwancanabi

Proper
Dec 24, 2020
another way is to click on NVIDIA control panel from that desktop right click, if you have NVIDIA bits installed... and you can play with more settings from there, brighness, colour, intensity, hue etc theres so much more you can do from there if you have NVIDIA graphics

Dec 26, 2020
yeah sorry its just that display size that you are looking for, 4096x2160 is 4k, 2560x1440 for 1440 or 1920x1080 for standard HD right click on the desktop in an empty area and go Display settings, click on identify to figure out which screen is which and then click the display graphic for that screen, scroll down and you can change that one screens display output. your tv should adjust once the setting is applied, if it doesnt come back on or improve click no to discard changes
It seems that both monitors are set at the recommended 1920x1080, I am starting to believe that it is just a limitation with the USB to HDMI adapter itself. The difference is definitely manageable, and doesn't present any real problems with day to day use. If you have any more tips please send them over, thanks for all the help!

Edit: I will try to update the drivers for all of my devices as well, I'll post back if it works.

Dec 26, 2020
I would also like to add that in device manager under 'Display Adapter" it is showing two different Display Adapters, one being the Intel combined CPU and graphics card that came with the laptop, and the other being "Trigger 6 External Graphics" that I am going to assume is associated with the USB to HDMI adapter.

Obiwancanabi

Proper
Dec 24, 2020
it looks like thats what windows uses to manage it yeah, J5Create Version 15.01.0128.3179 might be worth trying if you can find the driver, iv been reading someone had problems with a windows update, it updated the drivers from J5Create Version 15.01.0128.3179 to Trigger 6 etc and it borked things up, i can't say it will make things clearer but playing with the drivers can help, generally you find that in the device manager, right click and click update, and then manually browse for the file you downloaded.

But yeah generally these things never really work as you would hope, iv tried a few display adapters in the past, never USB and yeah..

Solution
Dec 26, 2020

Ok, thanks for all the help, I think I'll leave it at this, I think its just a limitation with the adapter and I would hate to waste all my time on this if there's no solution. Once again, thanks for all the help, I'll come and add to this if I find any fix in the future.

Reactions: Obiwancanabi

TRENDING THREADS