[SOLVED] One of my hard drive failed, keep getting desktop unavailable error

zeus224

Distinguished
May 16, 2014
So one of my hard drives failed. I have my C hard drive which has my windows installed on it and my D drive which failed earlier today. Now I can't place icons on my desktop and keep getting the error "D:desktop unavailable" any time I open file explorer or start my computer. Equally I can't pin anything to my task bar either. I know it's because windows can't find a path to my D drive but how do I switch it to recognize the desktop folder on my C drive instead so I stop getting this error and can actually use my desktop. I have even reset windows and it still gives me the error.

Solution
Properties.
Then, there should be a Location tab.

That should allow you to Change the location .
Possibly "Return to Default

Default, being the C drive.

zeus224

Distinguished
May 16, 2014
Did you have your "desktop" location redirected to your other drive?
Has this drive failed completely?
I never intentionally redirect my desktop to my D drive but it seems that's the pathway it wants to access. As far as I am aware my D drive is dead, it doesn't show up in my bios or anything. I checked the physical connection and it's connected property as well.

zeus224

Distinguished
May 16, 2014
If you're seeing "D:desktop unavailable" , then some things were indeed redirected.

A 'reset' of Windows simply redoes things in its current configuration.

A full reinstall will fix it, but that is rather drastic.
Is there away to correct the problem without a full reinstall? Can I manually redirect the pathway through console or something? Nothing else besides my desktop is affect it seems. I still have a desktop file folder in on my C drive. Windows just doesn't wanna recognize it as the primary pathway.

zeus224

Distinguished
May 16, 2014
If you Right click on that visible Desktop folder in your C drive, what options does it give you?
Open
Open in new window
Pin to Quick access
Scan with windows defender
Give access too
Restore previous version
Include in Library
Pin to start
Send to
Cut
Copy
Create shortcut