[SOLVED] One of two sticks in a Vengeance LPX pair presumably bad

Sep 6, 2020
I have had consistent instability with my pc ever since I built it (bsods, app crashes, total pc hangs) and I’ve presumed it all along to be memory related.

I finally decided to test each stick individually and the first of the two worked with no issues and memtest came back clean after 8 passes; the other stick however, caused the pc to hang within the first hour and a memtest run only strengthened my suspicion of a bad stick. Any way to interpret these errors as they are random number 64bit errors and they’re off by a whole 8 bits on the last bit. Wondering if it’s truly a bad stick at play here
A0112-E5-B-1-B29-433-F-8862-2-ADF305-B20-E2.jpg

Solution
Welcome to the forums :D

If you tested one stick and it was fine for 8 passes and then you tested the others stick in the same slot the first stick was tested in, then yes the second stick is bad. same slot only variable was the stick.

contact corsair see if they can send a new set, I am assuming this is a matched set of memory from the same package, before sending in the defective set, I think its called an advanced return, this way you are not without your system while the RAM ships

R_1

Expert
Ambassador

If you tested one stick and it was fine for 8 passes and then you tested the others stick in the same slot the first stick was tested in, then yes the second stick is bad. same slot only variable was the stick.

contact corsair see if they can send a new set, I am assuming this is a matched set of memory from the same package, before sending in the defective set, I think its called an advanced return, this way you are not without your system while the RAM ships

Reactions: exaltedb
Solution
Sep 6, 2020

I’ll probably do that, as I wasn’t sure if it truly was the memory at fault, as one stick is perfectly stable while the other stick isn’t stable. Running both sticks is similar to just running the faulty stick