Question One-Off 78c and 4.8GHz During Game AND Idle? (7800x3d)

Aug 11, 2024
Specs:
4070 ti super
7800x3d (cooled with Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO)
MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI (Version 7D75v1J)
32gb of ram
Windows 11
OS and games on separate PCIE4 NVME SSDs

I understand 78c and 4.8GHz is normal for a 7800x3d under load, but it's not normal for a certain game I have experience with or for idle.

I built a new PC with the above specs about a month ago. I haven't had any issues until today. I was playing a multiplayer RTS called Warno. I've played this game for about 50 hours with my new rig and my CPU has run around 65c.

After starting a new multiplayer match, my CPU started running at a constant 78-80c. You can see the jump in CPU temps below. It increased after staring my second match during that play session. It was at 65c during the first multiplayer match.

QZDznrR.png

Since I've never seen my CPU go above 65c for this game, I closed the game, opened Task Manager, and noticed there were no other programs utilizing the CPU to cause these temps.
HWiNFO had the most utilization. I looked at the AMD Adrenaline software and saw that my CPU remained around 78c and my clock speed was at 4.8ghz at idle.

I restarted my PC and the CPU clock speed and temps were back to normal behavior. At the time of me typing this, my CPU is at 46c and 0.8ghz. I played another match in that game and my CPU temps stayed around 65c. Here's another a screenshot for comparison. I played for about 40 minutes. I've never had this happen with other games before. Some more demanding games I play include Cyberpunk 2077, Red Dead Redemption 2, and Resident Evil 4 Remake.

GuzMD6N.png

I did not change anything except restart my PC. After playing again and taking the above screenshot, I saw there was an update for AMD Adrenaline and installed it. I did not see anything in the update release notes about this issue.

Overall, I thought that since my CPU was still running at a high clock speed at idle, it's probably not an issue w/ the heatsink seating or thermal paste application. I'm guessing perhaps a driver crashed during the game and that's what caused the strange behavior.

However, I'm not that tech savvy and was hoping to get some more opinions here. Any thoughts on what happened, and steps I can do so this doesn't happen again? Thanks!

Last edited: