[SOLVED] One RAM Slot Out Of Four Won't Run At The Max Speed

Taktine

Reputable
Dec 17, 2019
Mobo: Asus TUF X470-PLUS GAMING (bios version 6042)
RAM: Two separate kits of Corsair Vengeance LPX (2x8gb 3200mhz CL16) ((Total 4x8gb))
^Using 16-18-18-36 latencies.
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600 (not X)

Today I bought another kit of the mentioned ram, to add my ram up to 32gb total. When I added the extra two sticks (to A1 and B1), my pc wouldn't boot when the ram was running at 3200mhz. The pc ran fine when the ram was set to 2933mhz. I also tested 3200mhz with little higher latencies, but it wouldn't work. I did some gaming with all the 4 sticks @ 2933mhz and the system was stable.
However, I discovered by swapping one stick of ram in all the slots, that my B1 slot (third furthest from the cpu) was the one that wouldn't boot at 3200mhz, while the other slots would boot at 3200mhz fine. 2933mhz worked fine on the B1 though.
Before this my configuration was sticks on A2 and B2, which was stable @ 3200mhz.

I would appreciate some troubleshooting/helping tips on how to get the ram to run at 3200mhz (if possible).
Thanks in advance.

Solution
You could try and up the voltage to the ram, like 1.4V, see if that helps. What you could do is put the kits in their own channel, so old kit in A1+A2 and new in B1+B2, something inside of me believes this might help.
You could also up the voltage to the SOC abit as well, maybe set it to 1.1V (would not go over 1.2V and 1.5V should really be enough), see if that helps, but try one thing at a time.

Might in the end just be incompatible and mabe best way is to return the ram and try another kit or sell current kit and get 2x16gb. As most of the time is said, mixing ram is crapshoot, it can go fine or you run into troubles like you do know or even worse troubles.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
You could try and up the voltage to the ram, like 1.4V, see if that helps. What you could do is put the kits in their own channel, so old kit in A1+A2 and new in B1+B2, something inside of me believes this might help.
You could also up the voltage to the SOC abit as well, maybe set it to 1.1V (would not go over 1.2V and 1.5V should really be enough), see if that helps, but try one thing at a time.

Might in the end just be incompatible and mabe best way is to return the ram and try another kit or sell current kit and get 2x16gb. As most of the time is said, mixing ram is crapshoot, it can go fine or you run into troubles like you do know or even worse troubles.

Solution