one usb not recognizing MyPassport

tungleboomps

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
I had MyPassport plugged into one of the USB ports and needed to unplug it. I was told when I went to eject it not to because it was still in use by some program. How do I find which program that is using it?
I therefore unplugged it anyway. When I go to plug it back in, nothing comes up on Windows Explorer. If I plug it into another port, it recognizes it. Putting it back into the port where I had it, nothing happens.
If I plug any other Device in there (external DVD drive / Thumbdrive) the port recognizes them but not MyPassport anymore.
Oh my dear, what have I done? How can I get the original port I had MyPassport plugged into working to accept it again?

Solution
Hi there tungleboomps,

That is unpleasant. :(

So, your device works on all the other ports of your system but this one right? If this is the case, I would suggest you to back up the data stored on the drive until you sort this out.

After that, when the drive is attached to the problematic port, you need to go to Device Manager and Disk Management and see how the drive is recognized over there. Some screenshots would be of help.
Is the drive even powering up?

If the drive is recognized by Device Manager, you can: right click -> uninstall it -> reboot system -> plug it back in and wait for the drivers to install.

If this does not help, you can try to reformat the drive and see if this would fix the issue. You need to back up all the...
Hi there tungleboomps,

That is unpleasant. :(

So, your device works on all the other ports of your system but this one right? If this is the case, I would suggest you to back up the data stored on the drive until you sort this out.

After that, when the drive is attached to the problematic port, you need to go to Device Manager and Disk Management and see how the drive is recognized over there. Some screenshots would be of help.
Is the drive even powering up?

If the drive is recognized by Device Manager, you can: right click -> uninstall it -> reboot system -> plug it back in and wait for the drivers to install.

If this does not help, you can try to reformat the drive and see if this would fix the issue. You need to back up all the data stored on the drive first.
It will not hurt to check the drive's health status with WD's DLG(shot and extended tests) tool as well: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=Ik0HYb

Let me know how this goes,
D_Know_WD :)

Solution

tungleboomps

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
Thanks for the replies guys. Here's what I did after posting my question. I pulled out MyPassport but also the whichyoumaycallit from the other usb port so nothing was in any of the ports.
Upon plugging my mouse connector into its original usb port, I then plugged in MyPassport into the original usb port and lo & behold, it's working now.
I think I created the problem by unplugging it when I was told it was still in use by some other program.
How is one to find which program is using a contraption like MyPassport? Once again, thank you so much for responding so quickly.