Question Ongoing CPU issue - WONT BOOT after 3 different CPU's

Mar 30, 2020
My PC broke a couple of months ago and I wanted to get a cheap PC going because I've mainly only been using it at home for a little bit of work and some light gaming. I opted to buy some low budget parts and a refurbished CPU.
I had some issues with being sent the wrong motherboard which wasn't compatible with the CPU I ordered so I got a new motherboard which was compatible.

When I put all the parts together and start the PC the fans (GPU, PSU, Heat-sink and case fan) all spin for a a split second and then stop.. this is repeated. When I take out the CPU the fans spin and don't stop. When the CPU is in the motherboard and the other parts are taken out the heat-sink fan spins and stops again. I concluded there's an issue with the CPU I was sent (the PSU is fairly new).

I sent that CPU back and got another one, the same thing happened (both refurbished CPU's), one of the sellers actually sent me another CPU (3 CPU's tried in total) and I've had the exact same issue.

Either I've been extreemly unlucky or something I'm missing.. I'm going to spend a little bit more money on another CPU but I wanted to be 100% sure this is where the issue is.

I've read through the forums, the PC is set up correctly all the right things in the right places, the PSU was working fine on the old PC and is fairly new. I tried launching without the GPU in, same without the RAM in, and if the CPU is in the motherboard the fans spin for half a second, if the CPU isn't in then the fans spin fine and don't stop. I've tried with 3 refurbished CPU's.

My PC broke a couple of months ago and I wanted to get a cheap PC going because I've mainly only been using it at home for a little bit of work and some light gaming. I opted to buy some low budget parts and a refurbished CPU.
I had some issues with being sent the wrong motherboard which wasn't compatible with the CPU I ordered so I got a new motherboard which was compatible.

When I put all the parts together and start the PC the fans (GPU, PSU, Heat-sink and case fan) all spin for a a split second and then stop.. this is repeated. When I take out the CPU the fans spin and don't stop. When the CPU is in the motherboard and the other parts are taken out the heat-sink fan spins and stops again. I concluded there's an issue with the CPU I was sent (the PSU is fairly new).

I sent that CPU back and got another one, the same thing happened (both refurbished CPU's), one of the sellers actually sent me another CPU (3 CPU's tried in total) and I've had the exact same issue.

Either I've been extreemly unlucky or something I'm missing.. I'm going to spend a little bit more money on another CPU but I wanted to be 100% sure this is where the issue is.

I've read through the forums, the PC is set up correctly all the right things in the right places, the PSU was working fine on the old PC and is fairly new. I tried launching without the GPU in, same without the RAM in, and if the CPU is in the motherboard the fans spin for half a second, if the CPU isn't in then the fans spin fine and don't stop. I've tried with 3 refurbished CPU's.
I'm not saying I know your problem, I'm really just going to relate a big caution for you...

When a CPU fails it can present an internal short, VCore to ground, to the motherboard's VRM. When that CPU is plugged into a motherboard it could in turn damage the VRM to make it non-functional at power-on. Now any subsequent CPU that's plugged won't work.

So, in this case, what might have happened is the first used CPU you plugged into your brand-new motherboard may have damaged it's VRM such that it will no longer boot up, even with another CPU. In the worst case, it failed in a way that actually in turn damages any CPU you put in it.

Again, I'm not saying that's your problem but you should be careful. I'd be measuring VCore voltages on the motherboard with a peak reading digital mulitmeter at least to capture voltages when you power it on. If you don't have one or the skills to do this, take it to a qualified shop and let them check it out. It may be as simple as a blown fuse or fused link they could find and replace.

Mar 30, 2020
I'm not saying I know your problem, I'm really just going to relate a big caution for you...

When a CPU fails it can present an internal short, VCore to ground, to the motherboard's VRM. When that CPU is plugged into a motherboard it could in turn damage the VRM to make it non-functional at power-on. Now any subsequent CPU that's plugged won't work.

So, in this case, what might have happened is the first used CPU you plugged into your brand-new motherboard may have damaged it's VRM such that it will no longer boot up, even with another CPU. In the worst case, it failed in a way that actually in turn damages any CPU you put in it.

Again, I'm not saying that's your problem but you should be careful. I'd be measuring VCore voltages on the motherboard with a peak reading digital mulitmeter at least to capture voltages when you power it on. If you don't have one or the skills to do this, take it to a qualified shop and let them check it out. It may be as simple as a blown fuse or fused link they could find and replace.

If that's true, why does the fans work fine when there's no CPU in, in that the fans spin fine on GPU PSU, Heat sink fan and the case fan.

If that's true, why does the fans work fine when there's no CPU in, in that the fans spin fine on GPU PSU, Heat sink fan and the case fan.
That can happen because the CPU is being damaged by the now-damaged VRM of the motherboard, which you are assuming is good. Also because only with the CPU in is the motherboard refusing to send a 'power OK' signal back to the PSU to keep it alive. And, with no CPU in place maybe the VRM controller would shutting down the VRM anyway so it's normal to have no voltage there.

I'm not really that familiar with the whole boot POST process, I'm just trying to let you know that blindly plugging parts that you have no idea are perfectly good can result in just this kind of problem when there's a power delivery fault. IF this is the case, you could be just damaging more hardware as you go so proceed carefully.

And yeah, knowing system specs will be helpful too.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2020
That can happen because the CPU is being damaged by the now-damaged VRM of the motherboard, which you are assuming is good. Also because only with the CPU in is the motherboard refusing to send a 'power OK' signal back to the PSU to keep it alive. And, with no CPU in place maybe the VRM controller would shutting down the VRM anyway so it's normal to have no voltage there.

I'm not really that familiar with the whole boot POST process, I'm just trying to let you know that blindly plugging parts that you have no idea are perfectly good can result in just this kind of problem when there's a power delivery fault. IF this is the case, you could be just damaging more hardware as you go so proceed carefully.

And yeah, knowing system specs will be helpful too.
Yeah but I haven’t blindly plugged parts in, all the parts have been checked if they’re compatible before buying them.

Yeah but I haven’t blindly plugged parts in, all the parts have been checked if they’re compatible before buying them.
By blindly, I mean checked to see if they're functioning normally prior to plugging them in. Getting used parts, that's always a possibility and if I got this right you're starting this with several if not all used parts in the system.

If you're comfortable proceeding this way, then don't let me stop you. But also, if you can't get it booted you really don't know with any certainty just what BIOS is installed on the motherboard since the previous owner may have done most anything to it, including a custom 'hacked' BIOS that won't work with anything but the hardware they had. That's also true with GPU's, which commonly come used with mining BIOS's.

And I'm assuming you've done CMOS reset before trying to boot?

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2020
By blindly, I mean checked to see if they're functioning normally prior to plugging them in. Getting used parts, that's always a possibility and if I got this right you're starting this with several if not all used parts in the system.

If you're comfortable proceeding this way, then don't let me stop you. But also, if you can't get it booted you really don't know with any certainty just what BIOS is installed on the motherboard since the previous owner may have done most anything to it, including a custom 'hacked' BIOS that won't work with anything but the hardware they had. That's also true with GPU's, which commonly come used with mining BIOS's.

And I'm assuming you've done CMOS reset before trying to boot?
Yeah they said they had been tested and yea ive taken the battery out before and after I take all the parts out but its only when the cpu in the Pc that it wont boot

The cpu support list for your motherboard shows support for a 4130T, but not for a 4130.
https://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=693#cpusupport
That is strange since the T suffix processors are simply low wattage versions.

It is extremely rare for a intel processor to fail.
I have no idea as to how one would refurbish a intel processor. Possibly they are fake.

Look at the motherboard cpu socket.
One of the common failures is to have a bent pin in the socket.
That is usually caused by improper insertion of the cpu.
Such sockets are designed for only 15 reinsertions.