Question Ongoing Unknown Issue - CPU Temps overheating on start up then cooling off.

Nov 14, 2021
Hi, bought a prebuilt from Ibuypower and it has lasted me 2 months. Never buying prebuilt again now, but anyway!

CPU temp is usually 20-25 idle, running high performance games it handles it pretty well as well. All of a sudden, I hear a rattle sound that seems like its coming from one of my case fans. I had a friend swap out the case fan and it resulted in changing nothing. I then realized that maybe its the liquid cooling. On COLD starts the cpu temps reach 99-100 and the case fan becomes very loud. After 5-10minutes the temps fall down to normal idle and work throughout the day fine.

Tech support suggests that the liquid cooling is failing and is causing the case fan too pick up the work when the cpu fan is overheating on start up.

cpu:
Processor 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-11900KF @ 3.50GHz, 3504 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)

What do you guys think is going on?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Sounds like air. It finally gets pumped out and away from the cpu block after those 5-10mins.

If there's air trapped in the pump, or the pump isn't moving fluid for some reason, it matters little how fast the fans run; it will never cool down from fans alone.

Nov 14, 2021
Sounds like air. It finally gets pumped out and away from the cpu block after those 5-10mins.

If there's air trapped in the pump, or the pump isn't moving fluid for some reason, it matters little how fast the fans run; it will never cool down from fans alone.
Would that explain the rattle I hear constantly? tech support is sending me a new liquid cooling system cause they think that is the issue.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It still rattles even after cooling returns to normal?
Then something may have come loose, or there's debris moving around in there, in which case, IBP's OEM may need to re-evaluate their cleaning process before they fill and ship the things.

Nov 14, 2021
It still rattles even after cooling returns to normal?
Then something may have come loose, or there's debris moving around in there, in which case, IBP's OEM may need to re-evaluate their cleaning process before they fill and ship the things.

Is there a way to add a video?

Nov 14, 2021
Imgur.com.
Even then, the devices aren't serviceable, which yields very few options beyond replacing them.

Thanks for helping btw.

I attached the link to a video of the rattling noise: View: https://imgur.com/a/R2U6Boq

Basically, this noise gets 10x worse on a cold start and cpu temps go to 95-100, then back to 20-25 idle after 5-10minutes. This rattling noise you see in the video is the after effect and continues. I already swapped a fan so it cant be the fan. Do you think the noise we are hearing is the liquid cooling rattling or is that that case fan as I shown? It's so confusing too me.

Nov 14, 2021
Something's loose, or not tightened down enough if you can do that and muffle the sound.

Does that radiator have a black cube on one side of it?

I don't think I see a black cube anywhere, but I do see the top where the pumps connect into.

I just really don't know what the issue is here. The rattling from the case fan caused by something being loose or because its having to work harder because the liquid cooling is failing? Something is definitely up with the liquid cooling system if on cold start the temps are hitting 95-100. When it does that the fan rattling noise you hear in the video gets SUPER loud.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Ok. No black cube in the radiator, so not a Pump-In-Radiator model.

The pump 'works'. Again, the cpu would never cool down if it didn't.
The rattling is the liquid rushing past whatever has made its way in the area where the tubes meet the radiator.
Out of the box, the pump also runs a PWM curve, and spins up when the cpu gets hot, the liquid flows faster, which rushes past the object harder, and makes the vibrations stronger.
When you press down on that fan... something-something about vibrations, and applying pressure on the vibrating radiator and muffling it.

So it's not air trapped in the pump, but something's come loose and is impeding flow.

Nov 14, 2021
Ok. No black cube in the radiator, so not a Pump-In-Radiator model.

The pump 'works'. Again, the cpu would never cool down if it didn't.
The rattling is the liquid rushing past whatever has made its way in the area where the tubes meet the radiator.
Out of the box, the pump also runs a PWM curve, and spins up when the cpu gets hot, the liquid flows faster, which rushes past the object harder, and makes the vibrations stronger.
When you press down on that fan... something-something about vibrations, and applying pressure on the vibrating radiator and muffling it.

So it's not air trapped in the pump, but something's come loose and is impeding flow.

Ok. So it's not actually the FAN or something loose around the fan then. The rattling has to do with the liquid cooling system and I need to basically replace it. Assuming this fix isnt serviceable.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Ooh, that's a tough one.
-No. It's too hot(and not because of the duration, but that it gets that high in the first place, thermal protections be damned). Wait for the replacement.
-Yes. It's temporary, and the cpu throttles frequency and voltage to protect itself. It'd have to run at those temperatures for hours at a time to do any real damage.
-Yes. If it occurs every time upon boot, maybe even consider not turning the PC off every night.

I could see responses like those.
I guess number 1. Doesn't hurt to play it safe, might not put your mind at ease though, if you really need to use the PC.

Nov 14, 2021
Ooh, that's a tough one.
-No. It's too hot(and not because of the duration, but that it gets that high in the first place, thermal protections be damned). Wait for the replacement.
-Yes. It's temporary, and the cpu throttles frequency and voltage to protect itself. It'd have to run at those temperatures for hours at a time to do any real damage.
-Yes. If it occurs every time upon boot, maybe even consider not turning the PC off every night.

I could see responses like those.
I guess number 1. Doesn't hurt to play it safe, might not put your mind at ease though, if you really need to use the PC.

I took it apart this morning to listen and hear...

So I think were back at square one. Seems like the rattling is indeed coming from that one case fan.

Exhibit A: View: https://imgur.com/a/uh68Znp

Rattling is coming from this fan, notice how when I physically stop the fan it stops making the rattle noise and we don't hear anything else.

Exhibit B: View: https://imgur.com/KFOt84t

This is on start. As you can see it begins thermal throttling and reaching high temperatures on startup...then resumes to a 20-23 degree idle. Yes the noise/rattling becomes very loud during this time.

Exhibit C: View: https://imgur.com/9PYQKqQ

Sometimes this red light turns on. Not sure what this means. As of now it is not turned on but it was on before when I was testing.

Exhibit D: View: https://imgur.com/JAy9q9p

Does the BIOS look odd too you? I have like 6 fans not including the 2 attached to the gpu.

Educated Guesses?: Could it be that the liquid cooling system is indeed failing and causing the fan to over work itself? Why is it that one fan? I've swapped out that fan with another and it gave the same noise so it has to do with something else not the fans being ****.

OR

Is this whole system just fluttered with problems that its worth waiting the 4 weeks to have Ibuypower take a look at it/fix it.

OR

Is my PSU enough for my parts...? It is only 800W.

with

Processor 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-11900KF @ 3.50GHz, 3504 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
and a GEFORCE RTX 3080 TI

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Exhibit A: Ok, the bearing is going bad, and is only a matter of time before it stops moving. Dust build-up in a fluid bearing will see symptoms like that.
Exhibit B: One fan isn't going to cause that cooler to thermal throttle like that.
Exhibit C: I'd imagine it's the cpu debug LED. It comes on for various reasons, including a thermal warning.
Exhibit D: No, it doesn't look odd.

Educated Guesses?: Could it be that the liquid cooling system is indeed failing and causing the fan to over work itself? Why is it that one fan? I've swapped out that fan with another and it gave the same noise so it has to do with something else not the fans being ****.
You said in the first post that a friend swapped out the faulty fan, and it still happened. So they swapped out the bad fan with another bad one?
A head-scratcher, that one...

Is this whole system just fluttered with problems that its worth waiting the 4 weeks to have Ibuypower take a look at it/fix it.
Prebuilts from big names like Dell, HP, and IBP usually have more corners cut somewhere compared to the more boutique brands like Origin or Maingear.
You have to wait 4 weeks for a replacement cooler? Yikes, that's too long. Just buy another cooler to test with at that point, or make 'em take the PC back.
One of the reasons to get a prebuilt is so you don't deal with the troubleshooting process DIY users typically have to - they do.

Is my PSU enough for my parts...? It is only 800W.
800W, what?
Corsair AX850 Titanium... that's info I can use and look up.

Nov 14, 2021
Exhibit A: Ok, the bearing is going bad, and is only a matter of time before it stops moving. Dust build-up in a fluid bearing will see symptoms like that.
Exhibit B: One fan isn't going to cause that cooler to thermal throttle like that.
Exhibit C: I'd imagine it's the cpu debug LED. It comes on for various reasons, including a thermal warning.
Exhibit D: No, it doesn't look odd.

You said in the first post that a friend swapped out the faulty fan, and it still happened. So they swapped out the bad fan with another bad one?
A head-scratcher, that one...

Prebuilts from big names like Dell, HP, and IBP usually have more corners cut somewhere compared to the more boutique brands like Origin or Maingear.
You have to wait 4 weeks for a replacement cooler? Yikes, that's too long. Just buy another cooler to test with at that point, or make 'em take the PC back.
One of the reasons to get a prebuilt is so you don't deal with the troubleshooting process DIY users typically have to - they do.

800W, what?
Corsair AX850 Titanium... that's info I can use and look up.

PSU: View: https://imgur.com/kmfn02v

I swapped out the fan with a working fan that Ibuypower personally sent me. So were thinking that they had used a faulty fan in production and then sent me a faulty fan as a replacement? One time sure, but two times given a faulty fan? Is the fan noise/rattling increasing during the thermal throttling just like a response to the high cpu temps?

I guess theres two issues here. The cpu is thermal throttling on startups and then returning to normal. And the fan is faulty..again..?

I'd have to wait 5-7 business days for a cooler system. If i wanted to send the system back it would take 4 weeks and thats too long as I need it for work. (Crazy how they wont just send me another one and I return this one after spending $3600 on this junk)

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2021
Absolutely.
Instead of pushing down on the fan, try feeling the radiator while this rattling is going on.

Couldn't find reviews on that specific psu, but the local tier list ranks it at B. Looks like it's fine.

Is it a reasonable assumption to assume that because the cpu throttles, this could cause the fan to overwork and thus basically break itself?

Nov 14, 2021
You can't, beyond a complete replacement. That's one of the downsides of those coolers.

Oh Sorry. You're saying that there is still reasonable suspicion that the liquid cooling is still causing that fan to rattle. I thought there was an internal fix for the fan. I guess I just wait for them to send me a new liquid cooling system. As a complete novice...do you recommend I install it or have somebody do it for me when it arrives?

TRENDING THREADS