Question Only 24 GB of 32 GB Available?

sirstinky

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2012
Hi all. I inherited a 2010 vintage Dell Precision T7500 workstation and it's amazing, but is having some quirks. It's dual Xeon E5530 (one on a riser), has 500 GB SSD, and is currently set up with 32 GB of RAM. All the DIMMs match each other and are non ECC DDR3 1066 (8x 4 GB).

Here's the issue I'm having. In the beginning, I had a message on POST after the RAID controllers loaded saying memory failure riser DIMM 2. I switched the memory around and went to triple channel 24 GB and it says memory failure riser DIMM 1. When I look in Windows system it says 24 GB installed, but only 20 GB available. I switched the modules around and same issue. I switched them again back to 32 GB and it says 32 GB, but only 24 GB available. I ran the Dell diagnostics and everything is fine, no ram errors. I checked the BIOS and it shows the DIMMS installed. I don't know what's going on here. Is something wrong with the way the modules are installed? I know it can be finnick lying since it's a dual cpu on a riser. I cleaned out the suspect slot with compressed air and very lightly with rubbing alcohol on a lint free pad. I switched around known good modules.

The BIOS is updated to A16 version, by the way.

Any help is appreciated
Nick