Question Only one game randomly freezing ?

Apr 16, 2023
Hello guys. I've recently bought an MSI Katana GF66 laptop with these specs:
i5-12500H
rtx 3050 with
16 gb ram.

There is this old game i've been playing since ages ,called Scions of Fate with these requirements :

Processor: PentiumIII 800MHz.
Memory: 256 MB RAM.
Graphics: ATI RADEON, Nvidia TNT2, MATROX Milenium G400.
Storage: 8 GB available space

Its basically an afk game where you leave your pc on and it does all on its own,but since ive bought this new laptop my game just freezes after few hours and i dont know why. I've checked the power options and I've set monitor to never turn off or sleep, either hard drive .Ive tried everything ive read on the internet but i cant find a solution.

The game support recommended me to uninstall and delete all files and install again, which I've tried 5+ times so far but it doesnt help me. The drivers are up-to-date . Can anyone help me with a solution to this annoying problem?

Thank you in advance

Failure after a time smacks of a heat issue.
I see many complaints about gaming laptops not performing well.
Usually gaming while plugged in.
One common cause is thermal throttling.
Laptop coolers must, of necessity be small and light.
The coolers are also relatively underpowered.
If you run an app such as HWMonitor or HWinfo, you will get the current, minimum, and maximum cpu temperatures.
For intel processors, if you see a max of 100c. it means you have throttled.
The cpu will lower it's multiplier and power draw to protect itself
until the situation reverses.
At a lower multiplier, your cpu usage may well be at 100%
What can you do?
First, see that your cooler airways are clear and that the cooler fan is spinning.
Use a windows balanced power profile, not the performance profile.
Set a minimum cpu performance to something like 20%

It is counter-intuitive, but, try changing the windows balanced power profile advanced functions to a max of 90% instead of the default of 100%
You may not notice the reduced cpu performance.

Older games may not behave well.
I was experimenting with trying to get civ2 mge to run well on windows 10 with a 6600k.
It was sluggish When I activated task manager I saw a lot of cpu activity, on all threads; much more than the game deserved. It is essentially a single threaded game.
Running high cpu when plugged in can cause throttling and failure or slow downs.
For whatever reason, my solution was to set compatibility mode to windows 8.
I think compatibility for w7 and earlier invoked a lot of windows emulation code.

Apr 16, 2023
Compatibility was one of the first things i tried. Wherever i choose windows XP (service 2 or 3) the game gets way too lagy and its unplayable. With vista is a bit better, but normally ive set it on win 7.I will try win 8 now.

I dont think its heating issue. Even when plugged in ,the cpu temp is max 70% and its in gaming mode(meaning it starts the extra fan when needed).I have no problems playing any other games.Ive tried to reduce windows balanced power profile to 70 or 80%.still didnt help me.

Its weird cuz ingame i see the client is still open but picture is frozen.When i open task manager ,game isnt responding and i must close it there.Laptop is meanwhile running other stuff.

Last edited:
May 12, 2023
If only one game is randomly freezing on your computer, there are several things you can try to troubleshoot the issue:
  1. Check for updates: Ensure that the game is updated to the latest version. Sometimes, game updates can fix performance issues and bugs that could be causing the game to freeze.
  2. Check your computer specs: Make sure that your computer meets the minimum system requirements to run the game. If your computer does not meet the requirements, it can cause the game to freeze or crash.
  3. Check for conflicts: Verify that there are no conflicts with other programs or applications running on your computer. Close any unnecessary programs or applications that could be using up system resources and causing the game to freeze.
  4. Update your drivers: Ensure proctorio chrome extension download that your graphics card and other drivers are up-to-date. You can download the latest drivers from the manufacturer's website.
  5. Scan for malware: Run a malware scan on your computer to ensure that there are no viruses or malware affecting the performance of the game.
  6. Reinstall the game: If none of the above steps work, you can try reinstalling the game. Sometimes, a corrupted game file can cause the game to freeze or crash.
If the issue persists even after trying the above steps, you may want to contact the game developer's support team for additional help and support.

Last edited: