fastcompany2

Prominent
Oct 8, 2018
ok so more info needed but I don't have a direct question to ask. I would like to setup a domain controller for a few windows systems. I don't have many computers right now but It will grow. right now its just for 2 windows 10 machines and 1 windows 7. I need to have an admin account I can access all systems and then have everyone else on limited accounts so things stop getting screwed up at work. right now all the computers are setup on local accounts but I have found that sharing files across windows 10 local accounts to be a real pain. also found out that using windows 7 to share with windows 10 was very easy....not sure why but want to just simplify it. I also want to do full backups of all these machines as I just had a hard drive failure on the windows 7 machine and was up to 1:30 the other night re configuring the system.... So I see that open media vault can provide me with the features I need but I have never used it. I'm looking for someone that can tell me how easy it is to maintain and how reliable it is. I was thinking of using a small dell poweredge tower like a t110 or similar to have it setup on. I would also be curious how difficult it is to manage from home. like accessing the web gui of omv from my home computer. If I could monitor backups and such from home it would be a real help. and by the way I also own a copy of windows server 2016 database edition. I have not done anything except load it up on a vm to play around with it but the updates that take hours sorta turned me off of it. I also found that this is a common complaint across the board of it pros running it on very high powered machines so its not just my laptop running a vm.

fastcompany2

Prominent
Oct 8, 2018
just curious did this thread get moved? open media vault is a linux distro and I had it posted in the open source os section.