[SOLVED] Operating System not found on startup

joshuajosh.mg

Prominent
Jun 7, 2018
So yesterday I was on my computer and it was working perfectly fine and I downloaded Modern Warfare. Today when I started up my computer I was greeted by a black screen saying Operating System not found. I have 2 storage devices, an NVMe which is screwed onto the motherboard and it is has Windows 10 on it, and a HDD which is connected by a cable. It said try disconnecting any drive that doesn’t have the operating system, so I tried unplugging the HDD from the motherboard and the power supply. Once I did that, I turned it on and it said something about reconnecting a drive. I tried replugging it in and it gave me the same problem as the first time. Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

Solution
1. Change or reset the BIOS configuration
To check the BIOS settings, follow these steps:
a. Restart the computer
b. Press the necessary key to open BIOS menu. This key depends on the computer manufacturer and computer model. This is usually listed on the first screen that appears on the monitor. It can be any of the following: Esc, Del, F2, F8, F10 or F12.
c. If the screen shows multiple keys, find the key to open “BIOS”, “setup” or “BIOS menu”
d. Check the BIOS’ main screen to see whether it detects the hard drive, and the boot order to see if it is set correctly.
If the hard drive is not detected properly, consider replacing the data cables, or resetting the BIOS settings to default values. Here are the steps to...
Oct 23, 2019
Plug back everything back then turn on your PC and boot to bios by pressing (delete or F1 or F2) depends on your motherboard...

Once in Bios go to Bios Features and try to find (Boot Option Priority)
Select Boot Option #1 and choose your driver with the operating system installed.
To prevent other drivers from booting
select Boot Option #2 and choose (Disabled)
disable all the other Boot Options # just leave the first one and see if it works.

Reactions: joshuajosh.mg

joshuajosh.mg

Prominent
Jun 7, 2018
It sounds like you installed windows to the NVME drive while the HDD was also installed so Windows installed some boot files to it and now you need to have both installed to boot up. This has been an issue since Win7 and MS still hasn't wisened up.
If this is the case, is there any solution to this?

doinstuff

Reputable
Jul 14, 2018
Boot installation media (USB, DVD) with only NVMe connected, and repair boot.

I have a similar problem with my Intel DX79SR, it works fine, then if I shut it down or restart I get no op[eratring system. However, I am not running Windows 10 on an NVME, but rather on an M.2 SATA SSD with an adapter. I also loose my keyboard which makes me think the board is dying.

Does this issue exist with M.2 SATA SSD or only with NVME?

Computer is currently dead. I shut it down and unplugged yesterday for a few hours and when I plugged it back in it worked. Then Windows 10 installed an update, restarted, dead again.

Also, do you have to install a new, clean copy of windows or can I recover my backup from BD-RE?

Thank you,

Keith

Gyalden

BANNED
Oct 17, 2019
1. Change or reset the BIOS configuration
To check the BIOS settings, follow these steps:
a. Restart the computer
b. Press the necessary key to open BIOS menu. This key depends on the computer manufacturer and computer model. This is usually listed on the first screen that appears on the monitor. It can be any of the following: Esc, Del, F2, F8, F10 or F12.
c. If the screen shows multiple keys, find the key to open “BIOS”, “setup” or “BIOS menu”
d. Check the BIOS’ main screen to see whether it detects the hard drive, and the boot order to see if it is set correctly.
If the hard drive is not detected properly, consider replacing the data cables, or resetting the BIOS settings to default values. Here are the steps to reset BIOS settings:
a. Enter the BIOS screen by following the steps outlined above
b. Find the “Reset to default” or “Setup default” option – it could be either a hotkey, or an option in the menu
c. Choose the reset option, and answer “Yes” when prompted for a confirmation
d. Then, select the “Exit -> Exit saving changes” option.

2. Run Automatic Repair
The Windows Automatic Repair may recover certain boot process related errors in some cases. Here are the steps to access the Automatic Repair from an install disc:
a. Boot from Windows install disc
b. Click Next in the setup page after selecting proper language, time and keyboard input
c. Click Repair your computer and select Troubleshoot
d. Click on Advanced options
e. Select Automatic Repair and select your operating system.

Reactions: joshuajosh.mg
Solution

doinstuff

Reputable
Jul 14, 2018
The problem occurs anytime there is more then one HDD/SSD in the system when you install windows. MS seems to think it's doing us all a favor by putting the boot block on a different drive then where we want Windows.

Thanbk you, that's kindawhat I thought. What about recovering from my backup[ - will it fail when I take the other drives out because Windows is too dumb and won't be able to find the extra drives when performing recovery?

DoinStuff

popatim

Titan
Windows startup repair will eventually see the problem and fix it, but you may have to run it a handful of times first.

You can also manually create it using a few commands in Admin CMD prompt.
bcdboot c:\windows /s c:
{This requires the system be booted up normally - as in both drives installed}

Manually create a new one Using ADMIN CMD from your Recovery Media {HDD not installed}

And then lastly, there is the free EasyBCD Software. The free version is the non-commercial link on the bottom left of the page. Instructions Here