Opinion: What Microsoft Must Accomplish in IE10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyler_767

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
This is probably just my many years of working at bestbuy but I just find it hard to believe only 55 percent use internet explore. I've dealt with so many dumb customers there is no way that half of them would even know what a browser is, let alone how to install and use a different one than IE.

That browser choice window at the initial install of windows 7 must really be having an effect.

G

Though I have this issue of IE9 where it temporarily freezes on startup (even w/o any addons); I still believe that its still a big step forward for Microsoft when you consider the improvements over IE8.

Chrome updates quickly and effectively- and Firefox followed the principle with slightly less success.

I use Chrome for 70% and 30% for IE9.

G

I agree with the 2 comments above. IE 9 is a huge step up from IE8. I however, have issues with IE9 and also because im so familiar with Chrome, that I find myself disappointed when i use other browsers. IE10 should bring more competition to the table and that would be good for all users. Firefox! you can do it! Opera too!

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Tyler_767[/nom]This is probably just my many years of working at bestbuy but I just find it hard to believe only 55 percent use internet explore. I've dealt with so many dumb customers there is no way that half of them would even know what a browser is, let alone how to install and use a different one than IE. That browser choice window at the initial install of windows 7 must really be having an effect.[/citation]

I agree the users are really dumb, but it could be influenced by places such as my computer store. Every new build has a package for internet installed that includes Firefox, Flash, Java, Reader and a few others. We make Firefox the default browser and most people just tend to use that. Not sure if other stores do that, but it's possible.

CKKwan

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
I want better Html 5 support.

Faster Java Script execution.

And yes, able to copy and paste item (especially images) from the web page to Outlook. Don't know why I can't do this anymore in IE9.

NightLight

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2004
does anyone still use the bottom "status" bar?

i want fullscreen browsing. no menu crap. let a menu drop down when i hover over the designated area.

G

Chrome is seamlessly updated every six weeks with major new features..good luck MSFT keeping up with that.

G

MSFT is just coming around to full HTML5 and webGL support..chrome is pushing the state of the art with native client and soon DART..seems like MSFT will always be several steps behind.

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008

Hi pjmelect :hello: . I agree with you :) . I have a friend that is still using Vista Basic & I think that they will want that also ;) . Also I would like to see IE10 made for windows XP operating systems ;) . So microsoft,allow XP oprerating systems to download IE10 & be able to install it successfully. ;) If microsoft does not,than there will be a big backlash ;) . I know that we can go to Mozilla's Firefox browser,but I like to be able to use microsoft's internet explorer also ;) .

nikkidpartypooper

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011

Hi Wish I Was Wealthy :) . I also am using a friends Vista Basic to get online on this forum and I agree with pjmelect and you ;) ,especially about the Windows XP operating system bit. We all want our browsers to be able to use IE10. ;)

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
I'm not replying to any body else in this post,I just want to say that I want this IE10 to be abe to be used with the XP Pro,XP Home & also with the XP Pro x64 bit operating systems. Come on microsoft,what about your loyal Internet Explorer users! Maybe you don't care at all. I know that I can use Mozilla's Firefox browser & I have in the past,but I'd like to be able use IE10 & also IE11 plus the rest. Don't forget to be able to have a choice is to be able to say which browser is the best & that will be seen on such tables of hierarchy like that seen on Statcounter,W3Counter,etc. So remember Microsoft,there are ways of proving your superiority online like I mentioned earlier on in this post.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]Tyler_767[/nom]This is probably just my many years of working at bestbuy but I just find it hard to believe only 55 percent use internet explore. I've dealt with so many dumb customers there is no way that half of them would even know what a browser is, let alone how to install and use a different one than IE. That browser choice window at the initial install of windows 7 must really be having an effect.[/citation]
Try working at a public library. Most of our users think the only way to get on the internet is "Internet Explorer". They have no clue what Firefox is, even though we have it on our public computers. Most of the staff isn't much smarter, to be honest. They're capable of swiping cards and books, but that's about it. That, and get on Facebook. They probably do shop at Best Buy, though.

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008

Hi tolham :hello: . Your right in one respect & that is the competition bit ;) . That's why Microsoft is not so smart! ;) In fact Microsoft is killing off it's own loyal IE support base. ;) The reason why I say this,is because when I have to move back to Mozilla's Firefox,which is a good browser, ;) microsoft will end up looking so stupid in the hierarchy browser tables which are seen on Statcounter & W3Counter,etc. ;) Don't forget also that I will not be the only one to move,there will be thousands & even maybe tens of thousands or more moving to Mozilla which will show on Statcounter,etc. Which means that Mozilla Firefox & maybe even Google's Chrome will show quite a large bump up on the hierarchy charts for browsers. ;)

nikkidpartypooper

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011

Hi JOSHSKORN :) . Did you think that maybe people are just happy enough with the browser that they use. ;) That's why they stay with their IE8,IE9,etc. :)

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008

Yeah JOSHSKORN ! I think that nikkidpartypooper has got it spot on! :sol:

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
[citation][nom]Wish I Was Wealthy[/nom]I'm not replying to any body else in this post,I just want to say that I want this IE10 to be abe to be used with the XP Pro,XP Home & also with the XP Pro x64 bit operating systems. Come on microsoft,what about your loyal Internet Explorer users! Maybe you don't care at all. I know that I can use Mozilla's Firefox browser & I have in the past,but I'd like to be able use IE10 & also IE11 plus the rest. Don't forget to be able to have a choice is to be able to say which browser is the best & that will be seen on such tables of hierarchy like that seen on Statcounter,W3Counter,etc. So remember Microsoft,there are ways of proving your superiority online like I mentioned earlier on in this post.[/citation]
XP? You're still using that out-of-date bug-ridden piece of crap? Microsoft ending IE support for IE9 and future versions of Windows was one of the best choices they made. They shouldn't have to cater to XP. Apple doesn't keep adding new things to OSX 10.4 why should Microsoft do the same for XP. As far as what Microsoft needs to do for IE10- they need to keep focusing on optimizing the browser and returning some of the geeks they once had that used it. I use IE9 even though I know Chrome is better. I do this for a few reasons:
1) I don't trust Google
2) Microsoft showed with IE9 that it cared about making a solid browser and since this type of want to make a great product seems to be running a bit scarce at Microsoft nowadays I feel that I need to support any glimmers of hope
3) I'm just too lazy to install another browser, besides I don't care that my pages will load up 2ms faster
4) IE is now the underdog believe it or not and rooting for the underdog is always good to try to increase competition

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008

You've got that right moonshire ;) ,but also they should allow IE10 & all future IE's to be able to be used by all variants of the windows XP operating systems. :sol:

nikkidpartypooper

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011

Hey 11796pcs,your just a Apple Mac suppoter I guess ;) . Now the reason why you do not have to fix your browsers up so often,is because they're not so often seen ;) . Take a look at Statcounter and W3Counter's hierarchy chart on browsers used and you'll soon find out that your Apple Mac's browsers is down below Mozilla's Firefox,Microsoft's IE and below Goolge's Chrome browser also ;) . So I got it all in One,your just a luny :pt1cable: Apple Mac user who can not prove nothing much at all. :sol:

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
[citation][nom]nikkidpartypooper[/nom]Hey 11796pcs,your just a Apple Mac suppoter I guess . Now the reason why you do not have to fix your browsers up so often,is because they're not so often seen . Take a look at Statcounter and W3Counter's hierarchy chart on browsers used and you'll soon find out that your Apple Mac's browsers is down below Mozilla's Firefox,Microsoft's IE and below Goolge's Chrome browser also . So I got it all in One,your just a luny Apple Mac user who can not prove nothing much at all.[/citation]
Hell I don't even own a Apple product. What in my comment made me even sound like a Mac user? And I would NEVER let that peice of crap Safari get even close to my hard drive. You're just a hopeless XP fanboy who needs to get with the times. Oh and the rediculous amount of smileys in your comment makes you look like a moron.

Status
Not open for further replies.