[SOLVED] Optane SSD Drives and New Current SSDs

braxus

Honorable
Jan 1, 2018
I bought the Intel Optane 900P series SSD a few years back. It was pretty darn fast when starting up Windows 10. It has slowed down a bit since then with all the updates Microsoft has done. My one is the PCI-E version.

My question is have new model M2 SSD drives finally caught up in speed during startup to the Optane drives? Im debating to sell the Optane in favor of a new SSD M2 drive to free up a PCI-E slot. Has anyone tested the new drives?

Solution
Good quality drives don't "slow down" over time. My several Samsung SATA III SSDs...all run pretty much as original, a couple of them from 2014.

Added software and other gunk on it....that may be why it seems 'slow'.

Changing an Optane 900p for a 980?
No....Any speed diff would be on the order of "blink and you missed it".
Intel's 900P Optane drives may not turn in the eye-opening sequential read/write numbers that most like to see, but, it is still one of the kings in long sustained writes, and random mixed reads/writes, etc..

As the difference in Windows load times varies only about a second or so among assorted NVME drives, I'd call upgrading due to chasing that last second a...well....waste of time. :)

USAFRet

Titan
Good quality drives don't "slow down" over time. My several Samsung SATA III SSDs...all run pretty much as original, a couple of them from 2014.

Added software and other gunk on it....that may be why it seems 'slow'.

Changing an Optane 900p for a 980?
No....Any speed diff would be on the order of "blink and you missed it".

Solution

braxus

Honorable
Jan 1, 2018
Im just trying to free up a PCI-E slot. Granted I'd have to use a second M2 slot (I already have another M2 drive installed). As long as the new M2 drives are close in speed to the older Optane, I might make the switch. The Optane drives still sell for a pretty penny these days, and I'd have a little left over after buying the 980.

USAFRet

Titan
Im just trying to free up a PCI-E slot. Granted I'd have to use a second M2 slot (I already have another M2 drive installed). As long as the new M2 drives are close in speed to the older Optane, I might make the switch. The Optane drives still sell for a pretty penny these days, and I'd have a little left over after buying the 980.
If you can sell the Optane for reasonable, and if your current motherboard supprts the PCIe 4.0 980... go for it.

TRENDING THREADS