[SOLVED] Optical Drive Doesn't Open or Read Disk

jarismic

Commendable
Nov 1, 2018
I recently got a new SSD and put it into my PC. Once i installed windows 10 into my SSD, my optical drive stopped opening/closing, and doesn't read any disks when placed into it. I thought the optical drive may have broken down as it is fairly old, so i bought a new Asus one and installed it into my PC. Didn't fix anything, the rest of my computer runs completely fine, (SSD, two HDD's, etc.) but my optical drive doesn't seem to work.

The light flashes when i press the eject button or eject it within windows. I can open it with the manual eject hole on the optical drive, but it doesn't read any disk when i close it.

I have been trying to fix this for a few days now, any help would be great :)

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Possibly data cable but if there was something wrong with the cable or power the drive wouldn't show in bios or device manager.

Have you installed sata host controller drivers from your motherboard's website incase youre using 3rd party sata controller? What motherboard do you have?

List pc specs including Windows.

Are you able to open the new drive normally? The old disc drive not opening, was it making any sound like it was trying to open? Did you try undoing the screws to check the tray wasn't stopped by the case somehow? I've had that happened to me.

Go to your motherboard's website and see if installing sata drivers from them helps