Ordered a MSI X370 SLI PLUS AM4 AMD X370 ATX Motherboard - AMD

Brandon_140

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2016
and was wondering what ram would you sugget i get! I know it needs to be DDR4 3200(OC)+/ 2933(OC)/ 2667(OC)/ 2400/ 2133/ 1866 * but some ram i look at says "Intel Z170 Platform / Intel X99 Platform Desktop Memory " i dont really understand what this means. Im getting a amd board and using a amd processor and i have a amd graphics card so does it matter if i get ram with the intel platform? i dont understand. And is there any point in buying overclocked ram? i was just going to get 2400 but if 3200 oc is better and i will notice a difference i would get oc ram. Also whats better 2x8GB kit or 4x4gb kit?

Solution
They probably labeled "Intel Z170 Platform / Intel X99 Platform Desktop Memory" because those were the first consumer platforms to use the DDR4 memory, now some benchmarks suggest that 3200Mhz or faster memory improve the whole ryzen performance at games and other tasks in a more drastical way than it does on intel platforms (both benefit from faster ram just than ryzen benefit more) so if you can afford the faster ram go that way if you cant afford it stay with the 2400Mhz. Since AM4 is a new platform you may need to update bios to get the most out of your system.

Rakanyshu

Distinguished
They probably labeled "Intel Z170 Platform / Intel X99 Platform Desktop Memory" because those were the first consumer platforms to use the DDR4 memory, now some benchmarks suggest that 3200Mhz or faster memory improve the whole ryzen performance at games and other tasks in a more drastical way than it does on intel platforms (both benefit from faster ram just than ryzen benefit more) so if you can afford the faster ram go that way if you cant afford it stay with the 2400Mhz. Since AM4 is a new platform you may need to update bios to get the most out of your system.

Solution

Brandon_140

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2016

Thanks for the quick reply Rakanyshu much appreciated! I will get 3200oc instead! and i was also wondering would a 2x8 gb kit be better or worse then a 4x4gb kit? My uncle told me that 4*4gb kit would preform abit better than 2*8gb do you heppen to know?

Rakanyshu

Distinguished
I think it depends on how you set up the 2x8, since is dual channel memory they will work almost the same while using the 2 channels, cant mess it up using the 4 slots. I'd go with the cheaper kit 2x8 or 4x4, or i would go 2x8 if planning on buying another set in the near future.