Origin Overclocks Genesis to 5.7GHz, Offers 24/7 Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]Intersting how the amd version is using a older 790FX with SB750 lol. At least they overclock pretty well.[/citation]

Phenom is better for gaming compared to BD in almost all scenario's. :(
Back on topic.. Damn that's a sweet clock speed..

Along with the overclocking feat, Origin said that, starting today, every Origin PC customer will receive free U.S.-based 24/7 technical support for life, including current customers. "Origin PC continues to lead the industry by becoming the first and only boutique system builder to provide free U.S. based lifetime 24/7 technical support,"

Lol, U.S. Only. :| Starting to see that a lot.
*EDIT* I didn't read it first so now I'm officially stupid D: */EDIT*

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
While I am impressed by the the temps and overclock I can only imagine the cost. I really hope Tom's gets their hands on one when they are released to see if it lives up the the claims.

[citation][nom]byebye[/nom]"Origin Overclocks Genesis to 5.7GHz".. i was thinking. WTH. i want to see a Sega Genesis go at 5.7GHz!![/citation]

Well The Genesis did have "Blast processing"! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bun8tA_ksZw
Oh how easily we were lied to back then.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]Phenom is better for gaming compared to BD in almost all scenario's. [/citation]
On a per-clock basis, the AMD FX does seem to fail to match up to the Phenom II... But the former seems to have a lot more promise for overclocking. I would think that if one was simply selling a CPU clocked as fastest as the design would allow, an FX would be a better choice for performance than a Phenom II.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]nottheking[/nom]On a per-clock basis, the AMD FX does seem to fail to match up to the Phenom II... But the former seems to have a lot more promise for overclocking. I would think that if one was simply selling a CPU clocked as fastest as the design would allow, an FX would be a better choice for performance than a Phenom II.[/citation]
no, even when overclocked as hi as in can go on air, the phenom still beats out the bulldozer and most single core benchmarks, and is only barely beaten and multi core. Then you also got a consider that you can overclock phenom also.

I'm not saying the bulldozers of failure it has its applications has places where it excels it's just not good for the average consumer though. And I'm assuming that Windows 8 is going to magically make the bulldozer success, it will definitely help, but it probably still won't fare well in single threaded performance. Piledriver on the other hand, I have some hope.

[citation][nom]danraies[/nom]Is there really an advantage to -40C? It's impressive but is it useful?[/citation]
keeping chip cooler, increasing the overhead you have to overclock.

-------------

That being said, how much power does this thing take, is there a idle mode, how long before you can expect failures. These questions need to be answered.

sarco

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
[citation][nom]chumly[/nom]Can't fit the 4th stick of RAM in there with your massive overclock, huh? lol.[/citation]

Might be a double post...

@chumly. I don't think I agree with your detective work there. More like can't fit a 7th and 8th stick in there. I am sure 6 sticks of anything is more than enough for anyone out there. That build is beastly.

intel4eva

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
Here's what I don't understand. You have manufacturers like Origin selling crazy shit like this, with an unrealistic 5.7Ghz overclock. Fine. But then you have every other boutique builder like Maingear wimping out on selling a 2600K or 2700K maxed out at like 4.1 Ghz, which for like an extra $300 they will take to 4.2 or 4.3, meanwhile any idiot gets a 2600K to 4.5 like it's nothing, and 4.7 on safe volts if you got a little lucky. Where the hell is the middle ground between overpriced low clocked garbage, and tech demos like this company sells.

And speaking of tech demos, you can buy yourself a phase change cooling unit for well under a grand, which you should be able to reuse on your next rig. I LOLd when I read this article's description of the expected price. This is nothing but the same old with a phase change cooler on it, which doesn't cost a lot in the context of, say, a SB-E system.

Also interesting that nobody mentioned that a phase change unit sounds like an air conditioner because that's what it is. Buzzing compressor? Ha, GTFO Origin.

sarco

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
[citation][nom]bigvette[/nom]theres only 4 slots sarco............[/citation]

Look again! You can clearly see more DIMM slots and RAM on the left side of the board. Those X79's are huge. You can see it sandwiched behind that red fan mounted on the back of the case and the red tubing coming off (what I think is) a northbridge block. That build has some horse power, everything and a slap-chop thrown under the hood. Probably costs waaaay more than I would ever pay for a rig.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
[citation][nom]intel4eva[/nom]Also interesting that nobody mentioned that a phase change unit sounds like an air conditioner because that's what it is. Buzzing compressor? Ha, GTFO Origin.[/citation]
Phase-change loops are what all A/C units and refridgerators & freezers use, to the best of my knowledge. But I highly doubt it'd be anywhere as noisy as an external central A/C unit. For one, it doesn't need anywhere near as power; Sandy Bridge-E has a TDP of 130W, and only 95W for the ordinary 2600K; I doubt that even at 5.7 GHz it'd pass 200W. Meanwhile, a "3-ton" A/C unit is sucking away over 10,000 watts of heat.

Secondly, from the look of the case, it likely isn't a compression loop, but rather an adsorption unit; while they tend to be not as potent, they're MUCH quieter, since all they need is an extra source of heat, not a compressor. Plus, they don't use CFCs or HFCs for coolant, but typically use water and ammonia.

Very odd arrangement to have a Phase change BUT leave the butt-to-butt GPU's on air. Phase change is noisy.

Nice gimmick and Origin got it's attention, but nothing I'd want. Give me a nice, quite and cool water loop.

kaitheus

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
I'm using a Phenom II X4 955BE @ 3.8GHz on an Asrock 990FX Extreme 4 with 8GB or DDR3 @ 1600Mhz...why don't they use something with in that range *990FX/970* ? other then economics it doesn't make sense to use older tech in a Newer PC unless your just upgrading gradually but being a company that builds New PCs no it doesn't make much sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.