Other influencers on CPU production: copper

xen

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2005
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/1310AP_Chile_Escondida.html

I was just reading this article on a strike in Chili at a large copper mine. I know there have already been issues with copper supply. With more Intel trying to ramp up their new set of processors and AMD trying to increate their max production volume do you think that the limited amounts of resources used for these CPUs will come into equation? I know this isn't the only world event relating to copper, but I just thought I would throw it out there for discussion.

maury73

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
No problem for that: the copper used in heatsink manufacturing doesn't need to be pure or high quality. Pure copper is needed only in wires and PCB tracks (99.98% purity).

jamesgoddard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2005
It's the heatsink manufactures you should be worrying about.

True - bet the heatsink manufactures are feeling the pain... Re the purity of the stuff, I know it does not matter but ANY copper costs a small fortune now... In fact, funny story this, but recently in the UK we had a problem where some companies where collecting vast quantities of 2p coins and melting them down because each 2p coin had 4p worth of copper in it (the coin mint has since had to change the ratio of metals to vastly reduce the amount of copper in 2p coins, lol)