Question Out of ideas, please help. Computer randomly restarting and sometimes various BSOD. Stumped and frustrated.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Brand new computer, about 6 months old. Last couple weeks i've had issues with my computer randomly restarting and sometimes getting BSOD, various errors.

I've done memtest twice, no errors both times. Just finished a FurMark test and no crashes. Which is why i'm very very stuck and I don't understand what else it could be.

I'm assuming a hardware failure of some sorts. Done some research since the FurMark test and it seems it could be PSU or the PSU isn't giving the right amount of power? But i don't understand why the FurMark passed at high stress.

I am just stumped and i'm getting very frustrated with things. I got a new computer to prevent this fun stuff.

PC - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KmctrV

I wiped my computer a couple times, I thought maybe software issues, but the problems persisted. I've also switched ram slots, same issues. i did a scv test and it came back with corrupted file and fixed them, problem persisted. (Was recommended after the BSOD)

Edit - Forgot to mention I am getting random FPS drops in various games. Mainly playing PoE atm and I get FPS drops at both intense and seemingly nothing events. With this build it makes no sense I should be getting any severe FPS drops.

Colif

Win 11 Master
did restart include a BSOD? Any time you get a bsod, share the dumps.

I don't know what the cause of crash is so its always possible there is more than 1 problem and all we did by swapping cards was create another.

CPU - Only real way to test a AMD CPU now is use Prime95
Motherboard - only way to know if it is motherboard is use another motherboard with all your parts and if it works fine, it was motherboard
PSU - See motherboard. Although its not that stark. there are ways
the paper clip method - https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/what-is-the-paperclip-method-of-testing-a-psu.1336402/
or multimeter,
or in the BIOS to check the +3.3V, +5V, and +12V. - https://www.lifewire.com/power-supply-voltage-tolerances-2624583

As already stated, Seasonic don't make bad PSU. You actually have exact same PSU I have now, so I could be biased but I would doubt it is the PSU. It is always possible. Anything is.

I would get PC tested by a shop before I randomly replace anything. I am not suggesting you randomly replace motherboard.

did restart include a BSOD? Any time you get a bsod, share the dumps.

I don't know what the cause of crash is so its always possible there is more than 1 problem and all we did by swapping cards was create another.

CPU - Only real way to test a AMD CPU now is use Prime95
Motherboard - only way to know if it is motherboard is use another motherboard with all your parts and if it works fine, it was motherboard
PSU - See motherboard. Although its not that stark. there are ways
the paper clip method - https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/what-is-the-paperclip-method-of-testing-a-psu.1336402/
or multimeter,
or in the BIOS to check the +3.3V, +5V, and +12V. - https://www.lifewire.com/power-supply-voltage-tolerances-2624583

As already stated, Seasonic don't make bad PSU. You actually have exact same PSU I have now, so I could be biased but I would doubt it is the PSU. It is always possible. Anything is.

I would get PC tested by a shop before I randomly replace anything. I am not suggesting you randomly replace motherboard.
Any time there's a bsod I post it. Most the restarts do not have bsod, it just freezes for about 1 second and then reboots. Reboots perfectly fine. I know event viewer is meh but it says 2 kernal power errors.

I ran chkdsk and winnit comes back perfect.

The only thing I worry about, about getting it to a shop, is i cant recreate the problem. So I have no clue how they would.

I have ran prime 95. I only ran it for 30ish minutes. I was worried about keeping it running as the temps were near max, I know it's meant to stress test but I don't know how long I'm supposed to run prime 95.

The PSU paperclip I feel wont show anything since the computer is obviously getting power and running.

So that's why I'm kinda lost again cause I feel I've eliminated nearly everything except processor, psu, and motherboard. I have a psu coming to test that but I agree, I doubt it's the psu also.

So I guess my question is. To test processor with prime 95. How long should i run it and when should I stop it, given the temperature?

Getting into a shop may be a last resort but seeing as I cant recreate the issue I'm not sure how they could help without costing more than just buying a new processor and motherboard, or RMAing them.

wi5pa

Distinguished
May 20, 2012
Ive had this issue aswell and looked into it,
One suggestion i found was that windows "focus assist" has been interferring with graphics cards, causing spikes and crashing.

To turn off " focus assist"
Windows - Settings - FocusAssist - off, and make sure you also turn off all the automactic rules,

See if this helps, let us know

Ive had this issue aswell and looked into it,
One suggestion i found was that windows "focus assist" has been interferring with graphics cards, causing spikes and crashing.

To turn off " focus assist"
Windows - Settings - FocusAssist - off, and make sure you also turn off all the automactic rules,

See if this helps, let us know
It was already off but i switched the automatic rules off, as 3 were on. I just got a restart though so i'm guessing that's a no go. Although i admit i didn't restart my comp after toggling those 3 settings off. As FocusAssist itself was already turned off.

I'm hoping that BSoD can be interpreted for some resolutions / answers soon.

wi5pa

Distinguished
May 20, 2012
Im sure its windows 10 updates causing this as no one was having these issues before Xmas 2019.
I have read that new systems with a fresh windows 10 install and fresh components are having these problems too,
so Microsoft have alot to answer for, and need to fix what they caused

gardenman

Splendid
I missed that last dump file for some reason.

I think it was suggested that you take the PC into a store for additional hardware testing. I would also recommend that because the dumps are not pointing to a specific driver, so the issue is likely hardware. Anyway, the latest dump file results: https://jsfiddle.net/zxkvag08/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.

File information:100720-7234-01.dmp (Oct 7 2020 - 16:35:04)
Bugcheck:KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (1E)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for ntoskrnl.exe
Probably caused by:? (Process: ?)
Uptime:1 Day(s), 21 Hour(s), 04 Min(s), and 54 Sec(s)

This dump file is either corrupt or my debugger had problems with it.

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
not sure how i missed last few posts. The forum doesn't always tell me when i have a post to reply to.. and it was being odd 2 days ago.

Any time there's a bsod I post it. Most the restarts do not have bsod, it just freezes for about 1 second and then reboots. Reboots perfectly fine. I know event viewer is meh but it says 2 kernal power errors.

this alone points at a hardware problem. Restarts with no windows errors (and event 41 (63) in windows isn't cause of an error, its a reaction to a restart)

Prime 95 Guide: http://www.playtool.com/pages/prime95/prime95.html

that dump file is seemingly corrupted. I can't tell you anything from that one.

does @Darkbreeze have any ideas regarding what to do next. Hardware testing wise.

If you havent done already then run, memtest86
I suspect your ram is the cause,
as it will pass general benchmarks but will fail randomly when being used
I have done memtest86 a few times. Always no errors. I do however have Ram coming to swap out to see if that's the issue, cause it seems like ram to me too from what i've seen.

I also have a PSU coming but yeah.

Anyways! I haven't had any restarts or issues in a few days, which I thought was some kinda miracle, turns out it wasn't and i got ANOTHER BSOD. So hopefully you can get something from this one.

https://we.tl/t-SdvkN1qyJw

I'm not overclocked, everything is standard.

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/3s4zpv2f/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.

File information:101520-7656-01.dmp (Oct 15 2020 - 19:03:50)
Bugcheck:CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT (101)
Probably caused by:Unknown_Image (Process: MemCompression)
Uptime:1 Day(s), 17 Hour(s), 35 Min(s), and 44 Sec(s)

Comment: I was told recently that Unknown_Image is often an indicator that it's a hardware problem.

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

wi5pa

Distinguished
May 20, 2012
That bug check - Clock watchdog timeout,
is because the CPU has locked up and cant process any more information,
It is common to see on a system that has either been overclocked too much and is not stable,
or the CPU has overheated.
I would keep - HWinfo64 sensors - open on your screen, to see if anything weird is going on.

Edit: - with all the errors you have been having, it might be the motherboard not supplying the correct voltages to the other parts of the system.

Last edited:
That bug check - Clock watchdog timeout,
is because the CPU has locked up and cant process any more information,
It is common to see on a system that has either been overclocked too much and is not stable,
or the CPU has overheated.
I would keep - HWinfo64 sensors - open on your screen, to see if anything weird is going on.

Edit: - with all the errors you have been having, it might be the motherboard not supplying the correct voltages to the other parts of the system.
Would this only be caused by motherboard or could it be caused from the PSU not giving the motherboard the right voltage?

It's really frustrating not knowing which one is the issue. At this point im virtually having to buy another pc just to figure it all out.

wi5pa

Distinguished
May 20, 2012
I doubt its the PSU but you can check by using the programme - OCCT and keep the voltage tab open.
You should have steady voltage lines and no flucuations (ripples).

Motherboard would be the next logical reason, If HWinfo64 shows the cpu with all cores working and reaasonable voltages/temps.

Post back with your findings

Hello all. I know it's been nearly 2 months but i've changed the PSU and ram, it seems it is neither, as expected. I finally got my first blue screen in 2 months. I have had very few crashes, maybe 5? in the last 2 months.

I thought maybe less crashes meant I may have fixed a problem, but I am also not playing as much, nor am i playing path of exile right now, which the game i was playing with all the crashes.

I started playing WoW a couple days ago, and have been noticing my computer fans come on intensely then go back to normal. As far as I know, that's normal and your computer trying to keep your computer cold. I figure cause WoW may be more graphic intensive, it has more reason to heat up more.

Anyways, heres the dump I just got a few minutes ago. It is a different error code for a blue screen than I have gotten, I think, i don't recall them all.

https://we.tl/t-Td9r9QJqRZ

Hope this can get read and maybe an answer. This is pretty frustrating but since It isn't happening as frequently it's been manageable. I do wanna note, I have been playing League of Legends for the last 2 months, and it hasn't crashed during a game once. So that's interesting to me. Where it has crashed while idle in WoW, yesterday. And today I just got a BSOD and didn't even have any game open.

Here's to another journey >.<

Colif

Win 11 Master
i hate crashes at idle, its a theme. PC can run games all day but leave it sitting there, doing background tasks and it falls flat on its face.

I have to wait for gardenman to convert dumps before I can tell you anything useful.

gardenman

Splendid
Since it's been a few months I'll start like this is a fresh thread with a full reading and comments. I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/rnktdq8j/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.

File information:121220-6359-01.dmp (Dec 12 2020 - 11:42:01)
Bugcheck:INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR (A0)
Probably caused by:ntkrnlmp.exe (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 12 Hour(s), 01 Min(s), and 12 Sec(s)

Comment: 2 or more types of RAM are installed.

Possible Motherboard page: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450-TOMAHAWK-MAX
There's 1 new stable BIOS update available for your system. Wait for additional information before deciding to update or not. Important: Verify that I have linked to the correct motherboard. Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

Colif

Win 11 Master
So I assume at some stage in the last few pages we covered the ram but if we didn't, why is there 1 set of G skill and 1 set of corsair ram running at different latencies in the PC? I don't know ram that well, can you run 2 different latency ram in a PC at same time:?? @Darkbreeze

F4-3600C16-8GVKC - C16
CMW16GX4M2D3600C18 - C18

The oldest drivers there appear to be Icue. And they aren't that old.

No, you can't. The system will TRY to configure everything the same, so it will default to some lowest common denominator that works for both sets of memory. Sometimes this will work, sometimes it results in problems. This is EXACTLY why we don't recommend mixing RAM.

IS there mixed RAM in this configuration? I thought that was sorted out a long while back? I'm not getting deep into anything right now, still trying to get over having Covid.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Since G man replied to thread as if its a new beginning and only converted the one dump, from the 12th of December, the BIOS info is showing this for ram -
SizeSpeedManufacturerPart No.
8192MB2133MHzUnknownF4-3600C16-8GVKC
8192MB2133MHzUnknownCMW16GX4M2D3600C18
8192MB2133MHzUnknownF4-3600C16-8GVKC
8192MB2133MHzUnknownCMW16GX4M2D3600C18
he also commented on fact in his post.

So I have to assume it does have both sets in it.

https://www.gskill.com/specification/165/184/1562831134/F4-3600C16D-16GVKC-Specification - 16-19-19-39
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...RGB-Black/p/CMW16GX4M2D3600C18#tab-tech-specs - 18-22-22-42

not even close

I neglected to remember about your condition, sorry to bug you.

Last edited: