Question Out of video memory error on multiple games with 4090

Status
Not open for further replies.

Novacore676

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2014
Hello everyone,

Recently, i have been running into an issue where my games crash (on rare occasion, computer shuts down) when i try to boot up some games and most of them come back with an error related to video memory, some, just crash with no error (like the new dead space game).

When i try to open games like MW2, Overwatch2, Callisto Protocol, Kena: bridge of spirits, New Dead Space, the games are crashing almost instantly and most of them are coming back with this error:

- "Out of video memory trying to allocate a rendering resource. Make sure your video card has the minimum required memory. Try lowering resolution and/or closing other applications that are running. Exiting..."

Here is a screenshot of some games with errors:
out of memory screenshots

what is weird is that games like the new spider man game, world of warcraft, league of legends, dying light 2 are currently working. dying light 2 and spider man are pretty demanding games and dying light 2 was taking around 8-9gb of vram when i was checking.

i typically play on 3440x1440p but i tried other resolutions like 1080p. I've had this system since the 4090 released late last year. This issue just started happening, although, for the last month, i've only played WoW, so its possible this issue could have started within the month.

This issue is happening on my main build which is:
  • 4090 msi gaming trio
  • 32gb ram 5600mhz
  • msi mpg A1000G pcie 5 1000watt psu
  • 980 pro 2tb m.2
  • Asus ROG Strix z690-E gaming wifi mobo
I have another system with an rtx 3090 and 9900k that is not having this issue at all. I am tempted to swap the GPUs and see if i get the same issue with the 3090 on the 13900k build but i dont want to brick my 3090 as well.

Does anyone have any thoughts or have been experiencing this issue on their 4090s?

appreciate your time.

* UPDATE *
I swapped out the 4090 and the 3090. So now the system that was having this problem has a 3090 in it and i am still getting the same crashes/errors. I wonder now if this is an issue with windows 11 because the 3090 system has windows 10 and the 4090 system has windows 11. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Novacore676

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2014
Jan 28, 2023
Hi,

I just tried first time today play Callisto Protocol and got the same "Out of video memory..." error, every time I tried to open the game. My CPU has some overclock to 5.6ghz and when I dropped it to 5.4ghz, the game launched, but it did crash some 30mins later to that UE4 crash reporter.

Not sure if it was the CPU oc or what. This is new build, few weeks ago, only had time to play some wow and it worked fine and so did all the benchmark softwares.

My system
4090 Gigabyte gaming oc
32GB DDR5 6000Mhz
Corsair RM1000x 80 PLUS Gold
Asus ROG Strix z690-G
980pro m.2 2tb and 1tb

Novacore676

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2014
Hi,

I just tried first time today play Callisto Protocol and got the same "Out of video memory..." error, every time I tried to open the game. My CPU has some overclock to 5.6ghz and when I dropped it to 5.4ghz, the game launched, but it did crash some 30mins later to that UE4 crash reporter.

Not sure if it was the CPU oc or what. This is new build, few weeks ago, only had time to play some wow and it worked fine and so did all the benchmark softwares.

My system
4090 Gigabyte gaming oc
32GB DDR5 6000Mhz
Corsair RM1000x 80 PLUS Gold
Asus ROG Strix z690-G
980pro m.2 2tb and 1tb

sounds very similar to my issue, except that i cannot even load to the starting screen of these games. do you have dead space or MW2, or any of the other games i tested to see if you get the same problem? WoW is working fine for me. so is spider man and dying light 2.

Jan 28, 2023
sounds very similar to my issue, except that i cannot even load to the starting screen of these games. do you have dead space or MW2, or any of the other games i tested to see if you get the same problem? WoW is working fine for me. so is spider man and dying light 2.

I just installed overwatch 2 and it worked fine. Don't have the other games, but planning to get the new Dead Space. Tried again Callisto this morning and was working ok now, only thing I did yesterday was to lower the CPU overclock, before that the game would always crash before starting screen with the "Out of video memory error.."

I'm also running Windows 11 with the latest Nvidia drivers 528.24

Novacore676

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2014
Anyone have any other suggestions? i have reset windows 11 OS and i am still having the out of memory issue when trying to start games up like the callisto protocol, MW2, etc. anything really with lots of shaders/preloading shaders. My discord even crashes sometimes when i am playing a game and watching someones stream. Its quite frustrating.

It doesnt matter what GPU is in it. I tried a 4090 and a 3090, same issue. but the 3090 does not have this issue on my other system with windows 10. i wonder if its windows 11 or some kind of other software/hardware issue.

Novacore676

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2014
2/16/2023 UPDATE:

i think i have been able to narrow the issue down to DX12 games with shaders.

I tried playing callisto and kena bridge of spirits with DX12 enabled, both of which have to load shaders, they both give the error message out of video memory.

if i change it to DX11, i am able to load and play both games no issues. but not all games can go back to DX11 so this is not a fix.

I cannot find the answer to this issue anywhere and ive been looking for weeks and i have spent many hours on this.

please if anyone can help, please do so.

Novacore676

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2014
you can also try customizing your virtual memory.

i am using 2tb 980 pro m.2 drives.

I tried going to the pagefile to change my virtual memory.

I tried setting it to zero, i tried manually adding 16gb/32gb/etc., ive tried allowing the system to determine it. nothing worked.

here is some information on hogwarts crashes with event viewer if this helps:

Faulting application name: HogwartsLegacy.exe, version: 4.27.2.0, time stamp: 0x63ed86b7
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.22000.282, time stamp: 0xb594bedc
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000000390aa
Faulting process id: 0x4780
Faulting application start time: 0x01d943c74953a7f2
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Hogwarts Legacy\Phoenix\Binaries\Win64\HogwartsLegacy.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 469c62d1-bf20-4c26-b4f8-97d23b93e542
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Novacore676

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2014
How exactly are you adding your virtual memory? i remember the first time i did i did it wrong.

I was doing it based on a couple guides i found: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-change-virtual-memory-size-windows-10

i just went to the system settings to try to adjust it again, however, windows wont open up the page when i click advanced tab anymore... its ridiculous.

windows wont even let me update to 22h2 now, it will say updates failed 25% into downloading/installing the update.

I need to go get a sata ssd and see if that works. maybe the m.2 drives are just busted.

Edit
I tried installing windows on an sata ssd instead of the other 2 m.2's i was using. and i still cannot get windows updated succesfully and the gpu drivers continuously fail to install unless done multiple times. The windows also loads up with some old info from my other windows installation which i assume is just saved to the motherboards info.

So i am thinking now that maybe the motherboard has corrupted information. Is there a way i can reset this motherboard completely, reset the drives completely and start off from scratch as if i just bought them? i had no issues for the first few months and these issues just started happening about a month ago almost.

i could go out and buy a new mobo and swap everything and test that out, but i really dont want any info that could be corrupted to go from this machine to the next. so not sure what to do.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2023
I was doing it based on a couple guides i found: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-change-virtual-memory-size-windows-10

i just went to the system settings to try to adjust it again, however, windows wont open up the page when i click advanced tab anymore... its ridiculous.

windows wont even let me update to 22h2 now, it will say updates failed 25% into downloading/installing the update.

I need to go get a sata ssd and see if that works. maybe the m.2 drives are just busted.

Edit
I tried installing windows on an sata ssd instead of the other 2 m.2's i was using. and i still cannot get windows updated succesfully and the gpu drivers continuously fail to install unless done multiple times. The windows also loads up with some old info from my other windows installation which i assume is just saved to the motherboards info.

So i am thinking now that maybe the motherboard has corrupted information. Is there a way i can reset this motherboard completely, reset the drives completely and start off from scratch as if i just bought them? i had no issues for the first few months and these issues just started happening about a month ago almost.

i could go out and buy a new mobo and swap everything and test that out, but i really dont want any info that could be corrupted to go from this machine to the next. so not sure what to do.

I have the same issue started few days ago. It happened first when trying to launch returnal. Then mw2 started to crash on loading screen. Tried everything but couldn't resolve. I also have 4090 suprimx and 13900ks. Weirdest issue ive ever witnessed

Edit: Issue resolved when i upgraded my bios. Once cache has been reset all the issues has been resolved. Please give a try and report back.

Last edited:
Reactions: luisfsal
Feb 22, 2023
I am having the same problem and similar setup... but with different games.
  • 4090 msi gaming trio
  • 13900kf
  • 32gb ram 6000mhz
  • 2tb m.2
  • Asus ROG Strix z690-F gaming wifi mobo
The problem started when I tried to install a game, got a BSOD, then all games turned crazy. Restored windows to a previous day using Windows itself, but still, some games persist the problem (like Midnight Suns). Others like Hogwarts Legacy and Returnal are playing well by now. But with Midnight Suns gets the error when loading screens appears, even with no overclock, undervolt, tried to reinstall drivers and rechecking games, nothing works. I am going crazy and almost formatting windows completely, but even still, Ive read some reports that the problem persisted. Game was perfectly fine just before yesterday. Some times Im able to get past the loading screen and play the game normally, but then when Im back to loading screen the problem appears again.

Still testing other games, though, since the problem appeared. Regarding my Bios i just checked and not running latest version. Should try to update.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2023
Same problem here, and SOLVED!

The SOLUTION was to update the motherboard bios as other users reported.

I've an Aorus B650 Elite AX, and I went to AGESA 1.0.0.5C from 1.0.0.4(faulty) and now the "Out of video memory trying to allocate a rendering resource" Error went away.
No more crashes.

It seems that both AMD and INTEL BIOS of new CPU Series needed some update to work with recent videocard with 16+GB of VRAM.

In my case the error was systematically triggered after 14GB of VRAM allocation. Every game crashed with the former error.

Status
Not open for further replies.