Question Outlook Search misses certain emails ?

Mar 14, 2023
Hi,

I am trying to use the Outlook search function and it is missing certain emails. For example one of the emails in question is in my inbox and I can confirm it is there however when I search it is not in the search results.
I have taken steps which include re-installing office 365, deleting outlook profile and rebuilding. Neither of these have helped. i have tried re-indexing however this pauses. When it paused i restarted the microsoft search service but it stays paused.

I also tried clicking on "try the new outlook" and when i do this the search functions correctly but i do not wish to use this new-look outlook.

Ralston18

Titan
Consider that the "new outlook" may also have fixed some search issue that caused the "old outlook" to not find the email(s) in question.

Are you able to provide some example of a failed search that includes the word or words being sought?

And the specific search criteria that was used?

Could be some logic error in the search criteria.

Mar 14, 2023
Consider that the "new outlook" may also have fixed some search issue that caused the "old outlook" to not find the email(s) in question.

Are you able to provide some example of a failed search that includes the word or words being sought?

And the specific search criteria that was used?

Could be some logic error in the search criteria.
Yh that was my conclusion that maybe i needed to wait for outlook updates. i was searching for email from copier@domain.com
the search criteria i used was copier and copier@domain.com from current mailbox

Ralston18

Titan
"and" vs "or"

If the desired emails are indeed in the inbox then create a new search that specifically seeks some words or phrases that are known to be in the email. Just one search criteria.

Plus run the search again being sure that the search is looking at all of the existing email folders.

Look at all other rules etc. that are currently in place.

= = = =

Also what specific company or service is "copier@domain.com"? Name, location?

Mar 14, 2023
they where separate searches. i can confirm that the desired email is in the inbox. i have made sure the search is looking in all mailboxes. i am searching for an internal email coming from copier machine that has an attachment. there are other emails from copier@domain.com that do show up in searches just not certain emails.

Ralston18

Titan
What is the "Sender name" on those emails?

What make and model copier?

Is the copier set up to send emails to your email address (not asking for your email address) if the copier has a problem of some sort or needs ink/toner or paper?

What distinguishes the emails that show up versus those "just not certain emails"?

Are you using wildcards? Not allowed by Outlook.

https://www.wisestamp.com/blog/outlook-rules/

Reference: scroll down to almost the end of the link. There are other similar links.

= = = =

I have something else I want to check but my Outlook email just quit running..... ???

Mar 14, 2023
the sender is copier@domain.com. it is a ricoh copier and it sending the emails i can see it in the inbox. it is just that when i search in outlook some emails are showing others are not. same sender same machine only difference between one email and another is that the email will be named something like RM05567FG2 and another will be named RM055638FT one will show in search the other wont. i am not using wildcards.