[SOLVED] Over clocking 2070 core keeps going w/out shutoff/particles but then freeze when gaming need advice

Jun 14, 2020
So i got a new build heres specs:
i7 9700k
msi rtx 2070 gaming X twin
msi meg ace z390
2x8 corsair vengeance 3200
650 watt gold thermaltake full modular psu

Heres the problem, im overclocking with afterburner, still kinda new to it, and after burner will allow my core clock to overclock +160 putting my speeds up to 2100+ mhz with no artifacts when benchmarking with heavens and valley but when i try to play warzone i get black screen or freeze all the way down to +110. So i ran the OC scanner and saved the curve but it said it gave me +105 which when i manually put that in the clock speed run higher than running the curve. also my core voltage is at 100 with my voltage settings in windows 10 set to ultimate performance, besides that i havent touched voltage. I hear everyone saying keep going until u artifact or shut down while benchamrking so what gives? why when i bring that OC to a game i freeze? also xmp is turned on. Thanks in advance, just trying to fully understand my machine.

PS: ALL TEMPS ARE FINE DURING ALL OF THIS NEVER GOING OVER 72

Last edited:
Solution
Tbh Heaven Unigine is kinda old it's good for basic benchmarking and undervolting not for oc. It can be right to an extent but it doesn't perfectly replicate gaming load. If you look at the CPU usage it's gonna be like 1% and thermals change too. When you try to Squeeze the maximum out of your gpu, always oc with one of the games you play which puts a lot of load on GPU and decent CPU usage i personally test with Warzone itself if it runs fine everything runs fine. It's gonna be tricky to hold 2100Mhz+ with 72C and the extra 200ish Mhz doesn't make a big difference unless you oc memory.

Kamal007v

Honorable
Nov 15, 2014
Tbh Heaven Unigine is kinda old it's good for basic benchmarking and undervolting not for oc. It can be right to an extent but it doesn't perfectly replicate gaming load. If you look at the CPU usage it's gonna be like 1% and thermals change too. When you try to Squeeze the maximum out of your gpu, always oc with one of the games you play which puts a lot of load on GPU and decent CPU usage i personally test with Warzone itself if it runs fine everything runs fine. It's gonna be tricky to hold 2100Mhz+ with 72C and the extra 200ish Mhz doesn't make a big difference unless you oc memory.

Solution

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Just to get in on this their a few things.

First undo you overclock and run the game again if it don't act up then leave it alone!

If you overclock your going to need more voltage to get any noticeable gains in FPS and / or to keep the card stable.

That card is already OC'ed from the factory that usually don't leave a lot left to add more.

Heat kills when you start adding more voltage your going to add more heat it could even get to the point where the card is thermal throttling.

It's a shame to kill a card early in it's life their fairly expensive.

Now to the best part this is just a example I have no clue what FPS you trying to run. IF you can overclock 10% over the Boost speed ( overclocking both the memory and core speed if your not overclocking both your really making very little performance change) and your getting 100 FPS with the normal boost speed of the card now you have increased it to a whopping 110 FPS is that really worth the chance or burning out your card early??

Jun 14, 2020
Just to get in on this their a few things.

First undo you overclock and run the game again if it don't act up then leave it alone!

If you overclock your going to need more voltage to get any noticeable gains in FPS and / or to keep the card stable.

That card is already OC'ed from the factory that usually don't leave a lot left to add more.

Heat kills when you start adding more voltage your going to add more heat it could even get to the point where the card is thermal throttling.

It's a shame to kill a card early in it's life their fairly expensive.

Now to the best part this is just a example I have no clue what FPS you trying to run. IF you can overclock 10% over the Boost speed ( overclocking both the memory and core speed if your not overclocking both your really making very little performance change) and your getting 100 FPS with the normal boost speed of the card now you have increased it to a whopping 110 FPS is that really worth the chance or burning out your card early??
im getting +1000 on the memory and now im running the oc curve afterburner gave me, I get between 175 to 200+ in warzone, i havent changed any serious voltage only in afterburner and in windows 10, nothing in bios. Everything seems to b running fine my temps arent going above 67ish. And thank u for the reply

Jun 14, 2020
my memory is at +1000 and im running the curve afterburner gave me, and i took your advise i used warzone to test it and it seems to b running fine im getting up to 2060ish mhz off the oc curve, i guess i cant complain getting 175 to over 200 fps but i bought all unlocked so i want to play with the oc ya kno? im trying to learn the memory now lol

Reactions: Kamal007v

TRENDING THREADS