over heating part 2

Hey guys,
Thanx for your help. I checked my fans and the main one
isn't working. It's in a casing. What am I looking for to
fix it? Any hints as to what it could be?
?

The fan probably has a seized bearing or a bad winding and
needs to be replaced. When you saw in a casing, what casing
are you talking about?
The power supply case would normally require a replacement
power supply. Other than the power supply, what most people
would call the "main one" is the fan connected to the heat
sink (casing?) which is a chunk of metal with fins to
increase the surface area for heat dissipation. You can buy
replacement fans or even up-graded heat sink and fan
combinations.
There is also often a fan on the graphics card, these too
should be replaceable
Usually these fans are not very expensive, anywhere from $4
to $20. You need to identify exactly which fan is not
working and then replace the fan. Don't run the computer
without the fan, you will be doing damage that could require
replacing a lot more expensive parts.

"jai_62" <jai_62@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| Hey guys,
| Thanx for your help. I checked my fans and the main one
| isn't working. It's in a casing. What am I looking for to
| fix it? Any hints as to what it could be?
| ?

To further clarify that message, it is possible to replace the fan
inside the power supply, but this is very risky. It would be much safer
to replace the power supply itself.

The heatsink Jim was talking about is placed on top of the processor. I
think he just forgot to mention that. This is a crucial part of the
cooling process for your computer and if that fan is dead, you may
really have a problem. I would suggest replacing that fan immediately.
If you can describe where the fan is that it isn't spinning, that
would be great.

Also, double check the wire coming from the fan and make sure it is
connected to the motherboard and didn't just come unplugged ;)

----
Nathan McNulty

Jim Macklin wrote:
> The fan probably has a seized bearing or a bad winding and
> needs to be replaced. When you saw in a casing, what casing
> are you talking about?
> The power supply case would normally require a replacement
> power supply. Other than the power supply, what most people
> would call the "main one" is the fan connected to the heat
> sink (casing?) which is a chunk of metal with fins to
> increase the surface area for heat dissipation. You can buy
> replacement fans or even up-graded heat sink and fan
> combinations.
> There is also often a fan on the graphics card, these too
> should be replaceable
> Usually these fans are not very expensive, anywhere from $4
> to $20. You need to identify exactly which fan is not
> working and then replace the fan. Don't run the computer
> without the fan, you will be doing damage that could require
> replacing a lot more expensive parts.
>

> "jai_62" <jai_62@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> | Hey guys,
> | Thanx for your help. I checked my fans and the main one
> | isn't working. It's in a casing. What am I looking for to
> | fix it? Any hints as to what it could be?
> | ?

Sure did miss saying that. mobo+CPU+heat sink+fan in that
order stacked cools the CPU.

Anybody who has to ask basic questions on this or any
newsgroup definitely should not open a power supply to
change a fan, too many high voltage capacitors inside that
can kill if they are not properly dealt with.

"Nathan McNulty" <nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
| To further clarify that message, it is possible to replace
the fan
| inside the power supply, but this is very risky. It would
be much safer
| to replace the power supply itself.
|
| The heatsink Jim was talking about is placed on top of the
processor. I
| think he just forgot to mention that. This is a crucial
part of the
| cooling process for your computer and if that fan is dead,
you may
| really have a problem. I would suggest replacing that fan
immediately.
| If you can describe where the fan is that it isn't
spinning, that
| would be great.
|
| Also, double check the wire coming from the fan and make
sure it is
| connected to the motherboard and didn't just come
unplugged ;)

| ----
| Nathan McNulty
|

| Jim Macklin wrote:
| > The fan probably has a seized bearing or a bad winding
and
| > needs to be replaced. When you saw in a casing, what
casing
| > are you talking about?
| > The power supply case would normally require a
replacement
| > power supply. Other than the power supply, what most
people
| > would call the "main one" is the fan connected to the
heat
| > sink (casing?) which is a chunk of metal with fins to
| > increase the surface area for heat dissipation. You can
buy
| > replacement fans or even up-graded heat sink and fan
| > combinations.
| > There is also often a fan on the graphics card, these
too
| > should be replaceable
| > Usually these fans are not very expensive, anywhere from
$4
| > to $20. You need to identify exactly which fan is not
| > working and then replace the fan. Don't run the
computer
| > without the fan, you will be doing damage that could
require
| > replacing a lot more expensive parts.
| >

| > "jai_62" <jai_62@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| > | Hey guys,
| > | Thanx for your help. I checked my fans and the main
one
| > | isn't working. It's in a casing. What am I looking for
| > | fix it? Any hints as to what it could be?
| > | ?

I very much agree. I have modded one PSU myself and will never do it
again. I was so nervous and my hand was shaking the whole time, but it
was a nice 420 Watt PSU that the fan had simply stopped spinning (later
figured out it was the negative wire that broke free). I decided to put
a nice Panaflow in there and I think I would have rather spent the money
on a new one than fix this one. Really scary if you don't know what you
are doing and very dangerous at that.

----
Nathan McNulty