Overclocking a Q9450

amegis

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2008
I'm buying a new sytem with a Q9450 and was wondering if it was possible to do an overclock to 3.2ghz (fsb of 400mhz). It would be on stock hsf.

Mobo - EVGA 132-CK-NF78-A1 ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

I still have not purchased any of the parts so if there is another board or memory type that will help me (without being much more expensive) I'd consider getting them instead.

Caple

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
I was using it with 400 FSB and stock cooler.
Yesterday I decided to install Asus probe. It would not load, saying that my noth bridge and temp (everything is on auto on BIOS) were too high.
Decided to go back to stock FSBfor now :p

sciggy

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
i'm on a q9450 at 3.2ghz but i don't have stock cooler. plus i have a gigbyte x48 board that has good heatinks on north/south bridge and a bunch of fans so i have no problems with heat as of right now. dunno about stock hsf though

halcyon

Splendid
It would prolly work fine, but for $30US you might as well get a decent cooler...even an AC7 Pro would be better than stock. You don't have to spend $60US to get a decent cooler, so why stick with stock?

sciggy

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
xigmatek hdts1283 for $37 at newegg. I'm at 3.3ghz running mid 30c on all cores with one. no voltage increase either.

halcyon

Splendid

...based on the CPU cooling? I do wonder why he's buying an EVGA mobo given the other choices, but that's not what this thread is about.

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007
I was responding to PCgamer12, where he said 1GHz OC is doable, but that might push that Nvidia motherboard a bit too much. Can that motherboard do 460MHz? Perhaps, but it'll probably be too hard to get it stable.

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
i think by lapping the AC Freezer 7 Pro will get you extra 5-10C drop in temp.so the price/performance ratio is further increase for that cooler. most cooler you lapp it will get about 5C the max. maybe AC Freezer 7 Pro is very poor at "stock"?lol

amegis

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2008
Ok so I've changed my mobo to an ASUS P5Q Pro (decided I didn't need SLI). With the saved money I'm going to get an ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro with some Arctic Silver paste. Is that enough for a 3.2 ghz OC?

halcyon

Splendid
Come, skip 2-3 meals at McDonald's and get a Xigmatek S-1283, that way there won't be any question about whether or not you have enough cooling. It's good advice, consider it.

halcyon

Splendid
I have a TRUE...fact is I've tried so many different coolers in my tinkering endeavors. I have a Zalman 9700NT, a Xiggy S-1283 RD, a TRUE, and now I'm using an OCZ Vendetta2 with the TRUE's bolt-down kit. I'd say between the Xiggy, TRUE, and OCZ Vendetta2 the Xiggy and Vedetta2 beat out the TRUE...with the Vendetta2 slightly beating the Xiggy (but I wasn't using the TRUE's bolt-down kit on the Xiggy, so it may not be fair). The Zalman doesn't even deserve mention in my experience. It worked but not nearly as well as the other coolers...good for dual-core but you need better, IMO, for OC'd a quad.

...and my TRUE was double-lapped, so that's not it. I really can see no reason to recommend the TRUE anymore, given its cost, performance, and the fact that you still have to get a separate fan. The TRUE had its day...but its day is done.

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007
The HDT tech is really something. Yet, many people find it hard to accept and believe that the TRUE is finally beaten, at least here and there. Oh well,with the TRUE you can do a push-pull config which may bring it to the top again.

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
halcyon what type of OC you assessing them on. i found in trully extreme OC(which is what the TRUE is intended for) will still beat other coolers out there with 2xfan config.

im talking about MAX capability here.