Overclocking AMD FX 6300.

Bikash0205

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2016
Hi Guys! i'm Bikash, I overclocked my fx6300 at 4.4Ghz and im getting temp of 16-21°C at idle and 39-45°C while gaming, i was wondering if should go farther or stick to it? BTW, im using Thermalright IFX-14 with two fans, Corsair VS550, GTX 760, 8gigs of ram and my current settings at bios is 22x multiplier and CPU Vcore at 1.45V.

Solution
Use AMD Overdrive to monitor your Thermal Margin (the number of degrees the cpu is under the maximum safe temperature for the cpu). Other temp monitoring software often gives false readings with FX cpus.

Your motherboard is not the best for overclocking (I have the same one with my FX 6300). I could only get 4.1Ghz safely. The VRM's on that board tend to get hot unless you have a downdraft cpu cooler fan blowing air on them.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Motherboard? 1.45v is probably a bit much for 4.4ghz. 16c is not accurate unless your ambient room temps are below 16c. What are you using to monitor temps?

You can probably go higher assuming those load temps are correct and you have a decent motherboard.

Bikash0205

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2016

Thank you very much for your reply, I'm using 3 applications which are "CoreTemp, CPUID HWMonitorPro and MSI with RivaStatistics to see temps while playing games" and all 2 of these have same temps and MSI with RivaStatistics shows 40-45° while playing game. i got Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2PT Mobo.

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

The FX CPU's can overclock very very well, only thing is since there based on a very old architecture and are fairly old now too even an 8 core at 5 ghz loses to a quad core at 4-4.5ghz, one based on a newer architecture. You have fairly beefy looking cooler, you can try for 4.6 or 4.8 at that voltage, or try turning the voltage back to 1.35, 1.45v is pretty much the limit of what those FX CPU's can handle, any CPU really.

Use AMD Overdrive to monitor your Thermal Margin (the number of degrees the cpu is under the maximum safe temperature for the cpu). Other temp monitoring software often gives false readings with FX cpus.

Your motherboard is not the best for overclocking (I have the same one with my FX 6300). I could only get 4.1Ghz safely. The VRM's on that board tend to get hot unless you have a downdraft cpu cooler fan blowing air on them.

Solution