Question Overclocking and temperature about Phantom Gaming X Radeon RX570 8G OC.

Dec 12, 2019
Hello , its my first post and recently i started getting curious about overclocking and stuff like that.
The gpu is already factory OC'ed to 1320mhz Clock speed and 1756 Memory speed.Yesterday i managed to raise it to 1550mhz clock(1.150V) and 2250 mem .speed (0.930V) , but the temperatures during tests are getting past 80C after couple of minutes, so i kinda "getto" mounted a fan near the card and lowered the clock speed to 1450mhz and mem. speed at 2100mhz ( no changes in the voltages , idk if that's a mistake or not) .Also i adjusted the fan curve a bit. So i ran Heaven Benchmark 4.0 and Msi Kombustor.
Maximum temp is 73-75C at times, but at the cost of the gpu fans working around 85-95% . My questions are :
-Should i buy a PCI fan card ( i recently found about them) ?
- Should i install a 120mm fan on the side panel(blowing right at the gpu) , not sure if it will mess up the air flow ( My pc case is old , I have done some DIY fan mountings and holes .Its not like a factory case.)?
-I am concerned about the GPU fans running at 100% or near . Now with 1450mhz clock , at max load the fans are mantaining 75-77C with around 80% which is around 3900Rpm .
-Should i be worried about playing games with around 75C most of the time.
- Any opinions ,advices or critiques about overclocking , please i'll be very happy to learn about.
-What do you think about 1550 mhz clock speed on rx 570 ? Should i increase memory voltage up from 0.930V and how much is too much.

Dec 12, 2019
What are GPU temps and fan speed with the side panel and your ghetto fan off?

I had great results from re-applying thermal paste on my GPU. 85C @ 2400rpm to 71C @ 1100rpm.

Right now there is no fan on the side panel , but today i might cut a hole and set up the fan to see if there will be a difference.

Without the ghetto fan the temperature is +2 - 3 C .Last i remmember i was playing Ghost Recon wildlands and without the fan is around 77 C and with the fan turned up (100% speed) 73 to 75 at most.

Also for the thermal paste , i don't think this will help .The gpu less than a month old .Also the manufacturer (https://www.asrock.com/Graphics-Card/AMD/Phantom Gaming X Radeon RX570 8G OC/ ) says that its used some "good nano thermal paste" which i don't have to replace .

Dec 12, 2019
I meant remove the side panel completely and test for GPU temps. This will eliminate any possible case airflow shortcomings and tell you what your GPU cooler is capable of on what's basically an open test bench at that point.

Alright , Closed case , fans at 50% (+1 120mm on the side pannel cuz i was eager to mount it). from 24c before start to 70C max

2nd try - Closed case , fans at 100% , 24C to 70C again , but reached a bit slower 70C.

3rd try - Opened case , fans at 50% , 24 to 70C even at times got to 71C.

And the 4th - Opened case , fans at 100% ,24 to 69C .

All tested only with Heaven Benchmark 4.0

Dec 12, 2019
Sounds like you had a case airflow shortage before you mounted the side panel fan. Seems like the issue is resolved now.

Yes , seems like ,but still the gpu fans are running at high speeds to maintain 70C . I was thinking to lower the fan curve so the card can reach 75-77C and not going fast at 70 but instead at 75. Should i?
Also i think above 70C isn't a good temperature or its just me .That's why im thinking to go and buy a PCI fan card.

Oh, when you were saying Fan Speed %, I thought that was the GPU fan speed, not the case fans.

Most card's stock vBIOS will have a temp target of ~75C (to which it will adjust its fan speed to maintain). Anything under 80C is perfectly fine. 80-85C is ok, but getting into that monitoring zone. If you're above 85C, action should be taken to remedy the issue (since the fans are probably running at 100% at this temp)

On the thermal paste issue - Re-applying thermal paste will rarely make your temps worse. Depending on what TIM you use, in a small-ish number of cards, it will have little/no affect. The rest of the time the difference ranges from a few C to 10's of C (fan speed is also an important part of this comparison). One example, my personal GPU was...decent when I first bought it. Could maintain the 75C target albeit with >2000rpm fans. As the years went by, it slowly climbed until it was hitting that 85C @ 2400rpms which was hotter and louder than I was comfortable with. Repasting brought me down to that 71C @ 1100rpm (inaudible) that I have now. Better than when it was brand new. Re-applying thermal paste on a GPU does not void your warranty (go visit Gamers Nexus and Stephen Burke will confirm this in just about every GPU teardown he does)

Last edited:
Reactions: Vicho Bucho
Dec 12, 2019
Oh, when you were saying Fan Speed %, I thought that was the GPU fan speed, not the case fans.

Most card's stock vBIOS will have a temp target of ~75C (to which it will adjust its fan speed to maintain). Anything under 80C is perfectly fine. 80-85C is ok, but getting into that monitoring zone. If you're above 85C, action should be taken to remedy the issue (since the fans are probably running at 100% at this temp)

On the thermal paste issue - Re-applying thermal paste will rarely make your temps worse. Depending on what TIM you use, in a small-ish number of cards, it will have little/no affect. The rest of the time the difference ranges from a few C to 10's of C (fan speed is also an important part of this comparison). One example, my personal GPU was...decent when I first bought it. Could maintain the 75C target albeit with >2000rpm fans. As the years went by, it slowly climbed until it was hitting that 85C @ 2400rpms which was hotter and louder than I was comfortable with. Repasting brought me down to that 71C @ 1100rpm (inaudible) that I have now. Better than when it was brand new. Re-applying thermal paste on a GPU does not void your warranty (go visit Gamers Nexus and Stephen Burke will confirm this in just about every GPU teardown he does)

Alright , thanks for the answers much apreciated .Also about the loud fans and the rpm's , have you tried to lubricate the fans .It might smooth out the friction inside.