[?] "Overclocking failed!" & Intel's ETU

scotthew

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
I've had my mobo+cpu set up for two years now, and I invested in some upgrades during the holiday sales (GPU, SSDs, DIMMs). Well I figured it was about time I overclocked this puppy and see what she can do (conservatively though). I used Hiker's i7 Overclocking Guide on the ASUS forums as a reference. My goal was to get between 3.4-3.6GHz out of my i7 940 and ~2000MHz on the DRAM. All said and done, I save+exit BIOS, the PC powers off then on, doesn't display video, I manual power off+on, and I get a nasty "Overclocking failed!" error. I messed with settings a half dozen times and kept getting the error before reverting to defaults.

I read that using BIOS was the preferred method of overclocking, but since that hasn't worked yet, I tried this nifty Intel Extreme Tuning Utility. Has anyone used it? Thoughts/Opinions? It seemed to do what it's meant to. I set to 21x150MHz BCLK, 1800MHz DRAM, 1.225v CPU, & 1.64v DRAM. Gonna run its stress test in loop tonight and see how it holds up. Currently ASUS AI Suite is clocking it at 3.5GHz and 39°C.

Here's my info if you have any thoughts on why my BIOS failed at overclocking:

ASUS P6X58D Premium
Intel Core i7-940 @ 2.93GHz
Patriot Viper II Sector 7 Ed. SDRAM DDR-2000
GIGABYTE Radeon HD 6970 2.0
OCZ Vertex 3 120GBx2 in RAID 0
Corsair TX750W
Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B
Scythe S-Flex SFF21G 120mm

Initial OC settings in BIOS:
Code:
AI Overlcock Tuner . . . . . . . . . Manual
CPU Ratio Setting. . . . . . . . . . 21.0
Intel SpeedStep Tech . . . . . . . . Disabled
Xtreme Phase Full Power. . . . . . . Enabled
BCLK Frequency . . . . . . . . . . . 167
PCIe Frequency . . . . . . . . . . . 100
DRAM Frequency . . . . . . . . . . . 2004(ish)
UCLK Frequency . . . . . . . . . . . 4008(ish)
QPI Link Data Rate . . . . . . . . . Auto

CPU Voltage Control. . . . . . . . . Manual
CPU Voltage. . . . . . . . . . . . . Auto
CPU PLL Voltage. . . . . . . . . . . 1.80
QPI/DRAM Core Voltage. . . . . . . . Auto
DRAM Bus Voltage . . . . . . . . . . 1.64
*All Other Voltages to Auto
Thanks in advance guys!

I used to get the overclocking fail as well untill I read in a forum some place that the way to do it is increase the multiplier up untill Windows is not stable then add a small amount of voltage untill it stabilizes and then continue with the multiplier again , leaving the bclk alone. It does seem to work out better and when you raise the bclk then the memory frequency goes up at the same time so I think thats where the OC tends to fail. But I'm no expert so I may be doing it wrong , but it does work for me.
Just by looking at your bios settings I see that the bclk is at 167 and I think that is why it failed. Since you have an Asus board did you have any other choices in the Cpu Level Up or AI Overclock Tuner. I don't think you needed the Extreme Phase Full Power enabled , that's only if you are going over the recomended voltages.

scotthew

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011

Well the multiplier is capped at 22 for my 940. To be honest I don't truly understand the multiplier, I was just following the guide I linked which says to adjust the BCLK Freq. For example, what's the difference between 22.0x150 and 11.0x300? Do you want a higher multiplier and lower BCLK for some reason?

On another note I ran the Intel ETU stress test all night and nothing failed. The CPU peaked at 59°C. I'll try a different stress test tonight, but it looks like I could easily squeeze some more out of it. If the Intel ETU overclock seems to be working is there any benefit to figuring out my BIOS issue?