Overclocking FX-6200... Any hints?

parham_ap

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012
Hello,

I'm asking about overclocking a FX-6200 CPU (3.8 GHz stock speed).

So far I'm running it at 4.1 GHz. I've read elsewhere that other people could overclock it higher than that. But whenever I tried to increase multiplier or the BUS speed further, it will become unstable.

So my question is that how I can overclock it more (if it is possible at all). Should I possible consider increasing core voltage? Also I guess I can increase HT Link speed further and still stay stable; do you recommend it at all?

Motherboad: ASRock 970 Extreme 3
RAM: 2x Kingston HyperX 1600 MHz DDR3 KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX

Snapshots of CPU-z CPU and Memory tabs:

http://i49.tinypic.com/xmirns.png
http://i46.tinypic.com/34pf67c.png

Could you give me any hints on how I can improve my system's speed? From what I've read so far, I guess my FSB:DRAM (1:4) is not good at all (I should try to have it at 1:1?). I get a 2901 PCMark 7 score with current stable (prime95 were running torture test for 5 hours with no errors/warning) overclocks.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
You should try increasing voltages to other parts of the motherboard to make it more stable, such as your north bridge, south bridge, hyperlink voltage, and RAM voltage, this was what I needed to do when increasing the FSB speed on my motherboard as I have a locked CPU. You should also bump up the voltage of your CPU assuming that you are using an aftermarket cooler that can handle the extra heat. I have no idea what the ratios are for the RAM, but the RAM speed will increase as you increase FSB as RAM speed has direct correlation to FSB speed. I would also not bother adjusting the actual hyperlink speed, just the hyperlink voltage.

scorpinock2

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
You should try increasing voltages to other parts of the motherboard to make it more stable, such as your north bridge, south bridge, hyperlink voltage, and RAM voltage, this was what I needed to do when increasing the FSB speed on my motherboard as I have a locked CPU. You should also bump up the voltage of your CPU assuming that you are using an aftermarket cooler that can handle the extra heat. I have no idea what the ratios are for the RAM, but the RAM speed will increase as you increase FSB as RAM speed has direct correlation to FSB speed. I would also not bother adjusting the actual hyperlink speed, just the hyperlink voltage.

Solution