[SOLVED] Overclocking Monitor: How long the monitor will last?

Irisena

Commendable
Oct 1, 2019
So, I wanted to try OC'ing my 60hz monitor, hoping maybe i could get it to hit 75hz. my monitor is a 1 year old BenQ GW2270, a 60hz 1080p VA panel.
So, for someone who had tried OC'ing their monitor before, I'd like to ask you one question: how long did your monitor last after OC before it went down?
I'm afraid that after I OC my monitor, it would break after several months of usage. Some people also warned me that OC'ing your monitor is not a good idea. is that true?

Solution
hmmmm. Some people! Eh? :)

Yes, you can OC your monitor, and it will likely reduce the lifespan, as it does when OC most hardware, eventually.

With that said, don't be worrying too much. I've my BenQ GL2250 OC to 75hz, with no issues whatsoever, running 3 years now! Will it last maybe 4 years instead of 5. Yes, sure, that's possible. Is it worth it, yes, in my case, for sure.

I don't mind having to part with $100 dollars or so for a new one, if for 4 years i get the benefit of an OC.

If you notice any immediate artefacts, or anomalies, then just reset it.

For me the benefits outweigh the cost.
hmmmm. Some people! Eh? :)

Yes, you can OC your monitor, and it will likely reduce the lifespan, as it does when OC most hardware, eventually.

With that said, don't be worrying too much. I've my BenQ GL2250 OC to 75hz, with no issues whatsoever, running 3 years now! Will it last maybe 4 years instead of 5. Yes, sure, that's possible. Is it worth it, yes, in my case, for sure.

I don't mind having to part with $100 dollars or so for a new one, if for 4 years i get the benefit of an OC.

If you notice any immediate artefacts, or anomalies, then just reset it.

For me the benefits outweigh the cost.

Solution

Irisena

Commendable
Oct 1, 2019
also, one more question: running an OC on a monitor will technically running it out of spec, so it technically ruin your warranty. but say if my monitor broke in 3 months because OC, will the manufacturer have any way knowing whether I OC the monitor or not, and thus null my warranty?

also, one more question: running an OC on a monitor will technically running it out of spec, so it technically ruin your warranty. but say if my monitor broke in 3 months because OC, will the manufacturer have any way knowing whether I OC the monitor or not, and thus null my warranty?

Hey,

Sorry for the late reply.

The answer is yes. They could very well put together that it died earlier than expected. It's an estimated time of life, Unless there is some obvious reason why it would have failed, the manufacturer may just assume the failure is due to owner usage. But if the monitor is not faulty from the off, it should last at least 3/4 of it's expected lifetime if overclocked.

Each monitor is different though. You're always taking a chance when it comes to overclocking hardware. All warranties are voided, and you take that risk yourself.