Overclocking not as good as wanted. Need Help!

Weirdplayer

Reputable
Apr 10, 2014
I've been trying to OC my system lately and for some reason i feel like i can do better than what i have so far. I can get my cpu up to 3.7 ghz but then that's it. I feel like i can go up farther to at least 4.2 ghz but everytime i try to go higher than 3.7 the system will fail to boot. Also everytime I set my RAM to it's OC speed of 2133 it will still fail and I believe that my psu should be capable enough to handle that.

I was wondering if it's because I keep using "auto" for the voltage and if that is the reason why it's not working so well, but then again in the past it seems to work fine with my old psu.

Any ideas?

PC Specs:
Mobo: MSI Z77A-G45 Thunderbolt
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR 2133
PSU: SeaSonic X Series X-850
GPU: EVGA GTX 780

Solution
Every CPU overclocks differently. That's why it's called the "silicon lottery" If you've hit a cap, that might be your limit. Even CPU's next to each other on the factory line will have different abilities,

pyr0_m4n

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
Every CPU overclocks differently. That's why it's called the "silicon lottery" If you've hit a cap, that might be your limit. Even CPU's next to each other on the factory line will have different abilities,

Solution

Weirdplayer

Reputable
Apr 10, 2014

Sorry for the super late reply and thanks for replying! Yeah I have been playing around with my OC settings since then and have been able to OC my cpu to 4.2ghz. But it's weird because before I have a Ultra LSP750 750-Watt Power Supply and was able to achieve 4.5ghz on my cpu. However that was also before I have my GTX 780 gpu. Can that be a reason why I am now unable to OC my cpu to 4.5ghz again?