Overclocking On Air: 10 LGA 1156-Compatible Performance Coolers

Status
Not open for further replies.

kumaiti

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
Not a single top down cooler?? That is disappointing, though I can already see the excuse: "they don't have as much performance as the tower coolers".

mrgrey

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2008
Argh - unbelievable! I literally just purchased my build on newegg, and they just posted this article. I bought the Arctic Cooling 7 over the Hyper 212+, not having seen the article yet.

Hey Tom's - what temps are you getting at 3.2 GHz with the Arctic Cooling 7? Did you use arctic silver 5?

barmaley

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
Test settings page reads: CPU Intel Core i7-860, but CPU-Z screen shot under it reads Intel Core i7-870. Which one is it that you tested Tom?

nzprogamer

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
[citation][nom]mrgrey[/nom]Argh - unbelievable! I literally just purchased my build on newegg, and they just posted this article. I bought the Arctic Cooling 7 over the Hyper 212+, not having seen the article yet. Hey Tom's - what temps are you getting at 3.2 GHz with the Arctic Cooling 7? Did you use arctic silver 5?[/citation]

no worries there you will be fine

nzprogamer

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
i had the 212 and sunbermtech both were running really good and cool. but i would buy the sunbeamtech with the easy exchange fan kit.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]kumaiti[/nom]Not a single top down cooler?? That is disappointing, though I can already see the excuse: "they don't have as much performance as the tower coolers".[/citation][citation][nom]falchard[/nom]What no Coolermaster V10 or Thermaltake SpinQ Vertical?[/citation]You would have to ask the manufacturers, since they picked the coolers.

G

If NH-D14 is in this, where's Prolimatech's Megahalems and Thermalright's Venomous X?

pbrigido

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
Even though the Zalman CNPS10X didn't win any of the tests, I still prefer its design because of the all copper contact between the CPU and the heatsink. Nice to see some of these tests again...can you also do one to compare the effectiveness of different thermal compounds?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]Spanky Deluxe[/nom]Why no Megahalems? They're widely considered the best air coolers out there right now.[/citation]

Some companies didn't respond to the invitation. Sorry, I didn't keep a list.

fred2421

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Quick question..these temps you are showing they are all with an ambient temperature of 11C? So when you say 82C over ambient the temps are actually 82+11=93C?

Interesting article. I knew results would vary from other reviews. That's normal.

I was surprised the new Thermalright Venoumous X was not included. It's an updated version of the Ultra 120 Extreme specifically designed for the new Intel Core i5/i7 cpu's.

Didn't THG mention in an older article that those extra tall heatspreaders that sort of look like a comb did not provide any additional cooling over stock heatspreaders?

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
It's clear the AC Freezer 7 is a poor choice for higher end overclocking, but how does it fare as a medium end OC cooler? Could it bring, say, an i5-750 to 3.5GHz without giving in?

DavC

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
How much better are all these compared to the stock cooler? It would have been interesting to see that included in the tables just for a benchmark.

but great article. I've recently built an i5 750 based PC and am fairly new to overclocking, so this is particularly helpful for me

fayskittles

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2009
I was woundering what program you used to put a load on the CPU? I run a program called Boinic with setti@home and world community grid. this run the most and i see it has always heated up my cpu more then any other program or game has.

fayskittles

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2009
I was woundering what program you used to put a load on the CPU? I run a program called Boinic with setti@home and world community grid. this run the most and i see it has always heated up my cpu more then any other program or game has.

G

I've got 4 DIMMs installed with heat spreaders. Am I reading this right that the MUX would be the best choice due to its small overhang from the CPU socket?

Status
Not open for further replies.