Overclocking On Air: 10 LGA 1156-Compatible Performance Coolers

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]ream[/nom]I read many reviews about Scythe Mugen 2. It was nearly the loudestcooller in tests at 12V. How come it is so quite in your test?[/citation]

Perhaps the original Mugen 2 had a faster fan than the Revision B?

Odan

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
I Just bought a Arctic cooling freezer pro for my E6750. Glad to see it might fit on the 1156 socket. because i am thinking about upgrading.
I was wondering wich custom fan there was used to obtain the better results on the Freezer pro with the custom fan ?
grtz Odan.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]odan[/nom]I Just bought a Arctic cooling freezer pro for my E6750. Glad to see it might fit on the 1156 socket. because i am thinking about upgrading.I was wondering wich custom fan there was used to obtain the better results on the Freezer pro with the custom fan ?grtz Odan.[/citation]

The custom fan is 120mm, which means it isn't mounted correctly. In other words, you don't want to use it.

strongdc

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
i m planning to build a gamer build based on i5 750. i m planning to buy scythe mugen 2 rev b but what i wanted to know if someone could tell me if i would fit in Lancool K62 or HAF 922 as i m yet not decided which of the two to use.
thanks

CryTeC

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
I have a question. I'm having a i5 750 model and i want to over clock it up to 4ghz but i don't know which one to get. I have in mind the Crosshair H50 and the cooler master V8 or V10.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]crytec[/nom]I have a question. I'm having a i5 750 model and i want to over clock it up to 4ghz but i don't know which one to get. I have in mind the Crosshair H50 and the cooler master V8 or V10.[/citation]

Perhaps if you read a little bit before making your decision, you'd make a better decision?

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-h50-fort120,2370-5.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/h50-fort120-cogage,2401-6.html

Cogage True Spirit is Thermalright MUX-120 under a different name.

CryTeC

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
Cogage True Spirit look good Im buying that and hope that i could OC it up to 4ghz. Have anyone OC their CPU up to 4ghz could give me some advice?

G

At the end of your article, you said: "this editor has taken the initiative to replace the fan of his own MUX-120 test cooler with a PWM-based unit."

Question: Which particular fan models will work with this cooler, and which do you recommend?

Thanks!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]deesy58[/nom]At the end of your article, you said: "this editor has taken the initiative to replace the fan of his own MUX-120 test cooler with a PWM-based unit."Question: Which particular fan models will work with this cooler, and which do you recommend?Thanks![/citation]

All "standard" 120mm fans fit. The one the editor picked is a "generic" store-brand part.

G

Did you people remember to apply the thermal paste to the cooler as well for the HDT ones.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]GIML[/nom]Did you people remember to apply the thermal paste to the cooler as well for the HDT ones.[/citation]OMG that's not even a question, it's an insult. You're just going to have to face the fact that HDT is not the huge advantage its marketers want you to believe it is.

mijason4

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
I have a Hyper 212 + on my q6600 , 3.2ghz . Ambient is around 20C

With Stock Cooler Temps were around 64C on Prime95 Blend test.
With Hyper 212 + temps were around 38C on Prime95 Blend Test.

I reckon the reason why ppl are buying Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 is because, It shows graphs and comparisions regarding temperature difference of 20C .

Am VERY :) with my hyper 212 +

Jason.

yellowsnow4free

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
I just purchased a Hyper 212+ yesterday; for $30 I couldn't pass it up.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like on the 212+ they only used 1 fan, correct?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]yellowsnow4free[/nom]I just purchased a Hyper 212+ yesterday; for $30 I couldn't pass it up.Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like on the 212+ they only used 1 fan, correct?[/citation]
Yes

Kunalm

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
The Scythe’s Mugen 2 as per the manufacturer's site does mot support LGA 1156 . Did u modify it for these test's?

krayzie bone

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
"While Noctua’s customers have probably already committed themselves to purchasing the best-performing CPU air cooler"

I think this says it all and only a small handful of high performance gaming ram (ram with Empire State building cooling fins) will not fit with Noctua NH-D14 just check the compatibility chart before buying.

investur

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
I just purchased a Hyper 212+ yesterday for $19.99 discounted $10 by the retailer who is building a new system for me. I wonder if I should upgrade but I don't think I should go too bulky, given that I am not using a modular power supply (the Seasonic S12 750W was on sale for $80).

Any suggestions for a slight upgrade, say $50-100 spent?

I'm running the Phenom II x6 1090T BE with 4x4GB corsair DDR3 1600 CL 9-9-9-24 100% of the time for the next 3-5 years with no breaks (chess analysis) that's 24/7 365 days a year.

I have no cooling solution for the RAM either, using a Coolermaster 912 HEF case, perhaps a Noctua with its 2 fans could cool the ram and mobo if there's room.

Don't want to move to an OCZ 800W or 600W MODular PSU though previous problems apparently are fixed with those.

I know, post in a forum! lol...

bump...

investur

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
P.S. I'm not a big gamer, went with the weeny XFX 4670 RADEON and on board sound. IT's all Chess with Deep Rybka 4, baby! Maybe light gaming or surfing...

Status
Not open for further replies.