Overclocking Retail Intel Core i7-5960X CPUs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hydrotricithline

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2007
If you have money to spend on an i7-5960X, you probably have enough to pay someone to tune it (overclock) for you.
where's the fun in that?

you need the power than 5ghs can enable but don't have the ability or knowledge to do it yourself, so instead of risking the processor not knowing what you are doing, pay someone who does to push it to its limits.

granted, single core performance will get the biggest benefit from this, all the heavy loads i would want to put on an 8 core cpu would be better served by a multi cpu motherboard and getting a few 6 core chips for less than 1 8 core cpu

I think it has more to do with time invested. provided you have atleast a base working knowledge. you could push the voltage for example up in like 0.1 incememts.

Z97 is PERFECTLY fine for gaming. Although, Skylake is coming in about 2-3 weeks. Whenever GamesCon is LOL.

2011-3 is not the platform to get. Personally. Gaming benchmarks show z97 4790k beats 5820k in games. Maybe DX12 changes some of that stuff, but until then. Wait for skylake.

CaptainTom

Honorable
May 3, 2012
Wow, 8 cores at 4.8ghz! That's insane. Very cool stuff.

Too bad it's still $1000, I think $750-$800 should be it's best price point.

If you have money to spend on an i7-5960X, you probably have enough to pay someone to tune it (overclock) for you.
where's the fun in that?

I can see your point, why would you want to risk damaging $1000 of CPU for a overclock? Well I defiantly do not recommend overclocking a CPU like this if your a newbie (if you really want to though, read a TON on overclocking haswell-E), but the experienced guys who know exactly what they're doing can easily overclock any CPU without destroying it. ;)

Dude it's incredibly hard to damage a CPU overclocking. The only way you could is if you disabled all safety-shut-off's, set the Vcore at 1.5v and let the temperature climb above 105c.

sabishiihito

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Knowing the batch #s of the chips would have been helpful. Although chips from the same batch can sometimes overclock very differently, it still gives you something to go on. Recent chips made in Malaysia with batch #s that start with "J" have been typically low voltage CPUs with 4.5GHz~4.6GHz actually being normal/expected overclocks.

CROOKID

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014
where's the fun in that?

I don't have enough money to pay a full time over-clocker nor would I want to waste money like that. However, I do have enough money for a 5960x.

Why do people treat $1,000 like it's a million dollars? Love building PCs and PC hardware? It's your hobby? Allocate money for it each year and budget accordingly. Work hard and practice the aforementioned and you'll be surprised what you can afford.

Because to some people it might as well be. Some months money isn't a problem for me. Some months trying to squeeze out even an extra $100 means every check will bounce. I don't doubt you can afford it if your really want to. Indeed that was one of my grandfather's favorite sayings. However, even though it's a hobby and passion for most of us, it's not so high on our priority list to allocate $2000 every year for a new high-end computer. Your priorities are not shared by everyone. If you're married with kids, what do you do to get that $2000 that's mainly for you? Whose priorities must get cut so that you have fun money? I know most people would rather put that toward something the whole family can enjoy, and not just so you can have some play time.

CROOKID

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014

You kind of proved my point. "Some months money isn't a problem for me. Some months trying to squeeze out even an extra $100 means every check will bounce."

Setting a budget and allocating expenses goes beyond just "putting aside $2000 a year". It doesn't work like that. Nor does it mean because you have a family, you can't spend money on yourself. It also doesn't mean because your interest is to spend your money on your family and not computer components, that you should.

The reply was to the claim that in order to spend $1000 you need to be some rich person who has enough to actually pay an overclocker.

I also didn't mean that you can afford it if you really want to.

With all of that out of the way, there are ways to correctly manage your finances, allocate, save and invest all while maintaining a healthy financial lifestyle. On top of that--spend money on your hobbies. While your grandfather's quote is funny, it doesn't apply here. What I learned and what has helped me maintain the aforementioned is working hard, living within my means and watching the little things. My father was a big saver his entire life and it paid off for him very well. One thing he taught me was that it's not the big purchases you get yourself that hurt--it's the nickels and dimes. Need money? There are always corners that can be cut to allocate funds. Couple that with everything I said and not only will you be surprised with what you can afford, but what's in the bank as well.

I am trying to keep this general but I always recommend reading books on budgeting, investing and staying out of debt. They can seriously change your life.

Wanting something should help you focus earning that money instead of the instant gratification putting yourself in debt can bring. One thing I often do is go through a lot of old stuff and see what I can sell to gain funds. I also constantly have things on the side I do to make extra cash. All these add up and believe it or not--buying things for yourself, wanting to buy things for yourself or anyone/anything else can turn into a gain rather than a financial loss.

I didn't prove anything for you and I'm not asking for financial or budgeting advice. I do quite well on that, thank you. Everyone has occasional windfalls. Everyone has unexpected expenditures like an emergency room visit or car accident. It's because of my budget that I can deal with unforeseen emergency expenditures without going completely in the red.

I also disagree with the notion that to buy a 5960X requires someone to be extremely rich. However, it does mean that someone has at least $2000 of disposable income sitting around to build a computer around it. That's not an insignificant amount of money for the vast majority of people. Of course you can save up for it. You can also save up for a lot of other things as well.

What you actually spend the money on depends on your priorities. Yes, you can save up for that computer. Many people could. However, the person that would actually need and be able to fully utilize such a build is few and far between. That's the point the rest of us are trying to make. It's not that we can't afford it, we simply don't value that particular chip enough to think spending money on it is worthwhile. For most of us, buying that chip would be mostly for bragging rights, not actual usability.

laststop311

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
if you really want to guarantee a 5.0ghz 4790k you can go to siliconlottery.com and pay extra for it (about an extra 240 dollars 580 total). My brother got a 5.0ghz 4790k from them and when he delidded it he was able to get it to 5.1ghz with 24 hour full load stability testing passed at 75C and 1.35 volts using a 6x 140mm push/pull noctua fans and a 420mm length x 42mm width full copper radiator (not aluminum) and a 655 series pump and coollaboratory liquid metal ultra tim. 580 dollars is a hefty premium to pay but then again 5.1ghz clock speed for haswell will give him about the same performance as 4.6ghz skylake a full year ahead of skylakes release.

He's hoping to push delidded skylake to 5.2ghz and smash his records. And yes he uses his pc daily at 5.1ghz it's a fully functioning practical overclock and not just for max speed runs. Fully stable.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
mean while a lowest poorest bin Sandy bridge can hit 4.5GHz without breaking a sweat. 4.8-5GHz on air with extreme overclocking on golden chip.

What ever Intel did on "learning" Devil canyon, they need to get their engineer revisit what they did on sandy bridge first.

Why do so many people still think clock rate alone is the only thing that counts? The slightly lower clock rates on the newer chips only matters if SB, IB, HW, and DC were 1:1 in IPC. They're not. The efficiency improvement HW and DC have over SB means they can clock lower and still get more done.

And again, with the efficiency improvements, it's not necessary to clock HW or DC as high in order to get the same, or better performance out of them. Assuming even a 5% overall improvement, a 4.5 GHz HW can match a 4.75 GHz previous gen model.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
Why do so many people still think clock rate alone is the only thing that counts? The slightly lower clock rates on the newer chips only matters if SB, IB, HW, and DC were 1:1 in IPC. They're not. The efficiency improvement HW and DC have over SB means they can clock lower and still get more done.
because when u compare a 5GHz SB vs a 4.4GHZ HW, there is not a lot of performance gain, possibly none. This is almost 5yrs. IPC mean nothing if the OCability is decrease at the same rate as IPC gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.