Distinguished
May 15, 2016
So I have these specs below:
AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Gigabyte GeForce GTX1060 3GB Windforce OC
HyperX Predator RGB 2x8GB DDR4-2933MHz
Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3(rev. 1.0)
Corsair VS550

I'm trying to overclock the CPU and it's my first time. I started with 3.8GHz and core volt at +1.5 and dropped it down to +1.2.. I run cinebench 3-4 times and on the last the screen goes off(temps around 80C).. I decide to drop it down to 3.6GHz and +1.02 on core voltage.. I open cinebench and start running it.. It doesn't crash.. I run it about 10 times repeatedly, not leaving time in-between for the temps to go down.. Around the first run the temp is at 78C.. Then on the 9th run the temp reaches 85C and on the last it reaches 84C, again not leaving time to cool down.. It didn't crash on any of the runs.. However I didn't run it again after, because I want to get an opinion from someone who is experienced on this. I have a stock cooler and no extra fans in the case.. Just one that came with the case. Also I left the SOC voltage at Auto.

Solution
OC'ing a Ryzen 2nd generation manual does not bring a huge amount, tiny % for lots of hassle and danger. I have mine OC but I've done it before;-). If you want to stick with the Wraith go into Bios and do a simple system based OC from there. With that CPU you will probably get more with a decent 3200 Ram than a 5% OC....

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
What is VCORE voltage under load? Your offset tells me nothing as I don't know what your board set for stock voltage, the ryzen 1600 does not get the same stock voltage across all boards.

The CPU is likely thermal throttling at 85c. Did your scores in cinebench remain the same or close to it over every run?

Reactions: SneakyGuy
Never overclock with a stock cooler as it can barely keep it cool at stock. That's why its called a "stock" cooler.
AMD's recent stock coolers are somewhat better than Intel's, so some overclocking is often possible on them. Assuming this is the original Ryzen 1600 (rather than the recent AF version that uses a smaller cooler) it comes with the Wraith Spire cooler, which should actually provide a decent amount of headroom for overclocking that processor.

SneakyGuy

Distinguished
May 15, 2016
What is VCORE voltage under load? Your offset tells me nothing as I don't know what your board set for stock voltage, the ryzen 1600 does not get the same stock voltage across all boards.

The CPU is likely thermal throttling at 85c. Did your scores in cinebench remain the same or close to it over every run?

So I use HWMonitor.. I ran cinebench 3 more times to get some results for your
First run:
temp: max 73C
CPU VDD(Node 0) 1.2V
Benchmark score: 1120
Second run :
temp: max 75C
CPU VDD(Node 0): 1.2V
Benchmark score: 1115
Third run:
temp: max 77C
CPU VDD(Node 0): 1.2V
Benchmark score: 1119

However when the cpu is idle the CPU VDD(Node 0) is around 1.213V to 1.231V. I don't understand how that happens.

Keep in mind that I said on the 9th run it reached 85C and on the 10th it reached 84C.. However it did NOT crash..

SneakyGuy

Distinguished
May 15, 2016
AMD's recent stock coolers are somewhat better than Intel's, so some overclocking is often possible on them. Assuming this is the original Ryzen 1600 (rather than the recent AF version that uses a smaller cooler) it comes with the Wraith Spire cooler, which should actually provide a decent amount of headroom for overclocking that processor.
Yes I got it 2 years ago.

OC'ing a Ryzen 2nd generation manual does not bring a huge amount, tiny % for lots of hassle and danger. I have mine OC but I've done it before;-). If you want to stick with the Wraith go into Bios and do a simple system based OC from there. With that CPU you will probably get more with a decent 3200 Ram than a 5% OC....

Solution