Overclocking the i7-930??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carc369

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
I have an i7-930 with 6 gb ram and xfx radeon hd 5850. It absolutely beasts everything i throw at it.

Now I got a question... what is the point of overclocking the i7-930 to 4ghz+? I see a lot of people do that but why? I can do a virus scan (using McAfee which is known for being a resource hog), play Resident Evil 5, while downloading a few things without going above 30% CPU usage.

What benefit does a person get from overclocking a beast CPU such as the i7-9xx?

Solution

Hahaha

No srsly though, if you're an average user, you'll likely never see or feel a difference. If you spend a lot of time at the computer converting, modeling, rendering, etc... you'll be saving yourself time. (To some, time is money when it comes to this) If you're a gamer, depending on the game, you'll see higher fps... which is usually minimal unless the game relies heavily on the CPU. Additionally... if you have multiple beast graphics cards, it eliminates the worry of a bottleneck.

Also... is your CPU at 30% load once you minimize the game, or is that actually in-game? I doubt it's slouching that much if you're running those programs at the same time.

redechelon

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009

Hahaha

No srsly though, if you're an average user, you'll likely never see or feel a difference. If you spend a lot of time at the computer converting, modeling, rendering, etc... you'll be saving yourself time. (To some, time is money when it comes to this) If you're a gamer, depending on the game, you'll see higher fps... which is usually minimal unless the game relies heavily on the CPU. Additionally... if you have multiple beast graphics cards, it eliminates the worry of a bottleneck.

Also... is your CPU at 30% load once you minimize the game, or is that actually in-game? I doubt it's slouching that much if you're running those programs at the same time.

Solution

Carc369

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010

In game... I've never seen my CPU go higher than 50% besides when I stress test it (to make sure my stock cooler is working :D)

Normally when I run those programs it stays around 36% CPU usage. But yea, i don't see a stocked i7-930 bottlenecking any GPU setup atm so I think I'm fine with my settings. I'm just gaming insanely til school starts :(. I'll be an average user then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS