Overheated PSU, can I fix

Franknstein69

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004
Seems my PSU overheated last night (not enough air, I screwed up!). It overheated and blew this component off the board. It's a copper coil with black insulation around it and two terminals. When it blew the HDD light and power light on the pc were still on but the monitor turned off. I want to know if I can resolder that component back on and if I do does the polarity matter?

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
I wouldn't resolder that component back on, but I would consider getting a replacement component and soldering that one on. And yes, polarity probably does matter.

Mike.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
If your psu popped dump it and buy a new one, other things were likely damaged and I would think it would be unsettling to have a "fixed" psu instead of a new one. Power supplies are so cheap now you might as well just buy a new one.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

jamarno

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2001
Blew it off which board, the power supply's or the motherboard?

Polarity doesn't matter, but the coil's copper wires may have burned their insulation and shorted. If the coil is on the motherboard, it's part of a voltage regulator, probably the one for the CPU core voltage, but if it's in the power supply it could be an EMI filter choke (works at high voltage) or an output filter (low voltage). Don't repair a power supply because of the danger.