[SOLVED] Overheating File Transfer

Dec 22, 2021
Yo. I have an i5 6600k I've been working with for roughly 5 years now. I never overclocked it.

I'm not super familiar with computers. Recently I mistakingly began overheating the thing, going above 90 a few times in the past week. The fans would whirl loud, it'd freeze, stutter, blue screen, and shut itself down.

Today I took the whole thing apart, dusted everything down and repasted it. It still had the same issue.

As soon as I replace the cooler I'm planning on backing up like 1.5 terabytes worth of information from the 2 hdds I got in it on to a new 2tb, assuming the cpu isn't totally blasted.

No idea why I'm thinking this, but my question is would overheating the i5 a number of times reduce it's ability to transfer the files, and would these files potentially end up corrupted in anyway from potential damage to the processor?

I was also wondering if this whole experience could've reduced the lifespan or mess up the 2 hdd I got in there.

Thanks.

Solution
Honestly, it sounds like the hard drive is simply failing and the PC is having trouble consistently reading it. Is the OS on this drive? If so, you need to immediately stop using it, remove the drive, and install the OS on another drive.

Backing up is always a good idea, but it may have come too late to save everything. A five-year-old drive that was already used when you got it is ancient (and any drive should be backed up from day one).
Yo. I have an i5 6600k I've been working with for roughly 5 years now. I never overclocked it.

I'm not super familiar with computers. Recently I mistakingly began overheating the thing, going above 90 a few times in the past week. The fans would whirl loud, it'd freeze, stutter, blue screen, and shut itself down.

Today I took the whole thing apart, dusted everything down and repasted it. It still had the same issue.

As soon as I replace the cooler I'm planning on backing up like 1.5 terabytes worth of information from the 2 hdds I got in it on to a new 2tb, assuming the cpu isn't totally blasted.

No idea why I'm thinking this, but my question is would overheating the i5 a number of times reduce it's ability to transfer the files, and would these files potentially end up corrupted in anyway from potential damage to the processor?

I was also wondering if this whole experience could've reduced the lifespan or mess up the 2 hdd I got in there.

Thanks.
Not unless it shuts down during file transfer due to overheat.

steveb1976

Reputable
Oct 4, 2020
it could be your intel heatsink fan is failing. you can get replacement on ebay or amazing cheap. ,but as your using a "K" chip, you should not use stock heatsink coolers,especially if your over clocking. if you have done this, you could undo the overclock. and the temps will drop....

if you need a quick temp solution, long enough to back up data. ,then go to power setting and set it to lowest settings. this will run processor at lower speed(cooler) and only boost it when needed.

Dec 22, 2021
it could be your intel heatsink fan is failing. you can get replacement on ebay or amazing cheap. ,but as your using a "K" chip, you should not use stock heatsink coolers,especially if your over clocking. if you have done this, you could undo the overclock. and the temps will drop....

if you need a quick temp solution, long enough to back up data. ,then go to power setting and set it to lowest settings. this will run processor at lower speed(cooler) and only boost it when needed.
Thanks for the reply. I ended up replacing the cooler and the core temps are completely fine, but I'm finding my c drive is performing at a near constant 100% now. I'm trying to back it up but it's making the process pretty timely and nerve wracking. Have any idea what's causing this? The overheats? I'm assuming the drive has a few days to live.

Thanks for the reply. I ended up replacing the cooler and the core temps are completely fine, but I'm finding my c drive is performing at a near constant 100% now. I'm trying to back it up but it's making the process pretty timely and nerve wracking. Have any idea what's causing this? The overheats? I'm assuming the drive has a few days to live.

Very high disk usage needs to be investigated promptly if it persists.

Could be a runaway process or constant virus scans or you being hacked or a virus or ??

Look in Task Manager to see if your CPU cycles are similarly high percentage.

You can sort the disk usage by percentage.

steveb1976

Reputable
Oct 4, 2020

disconnect your computer from internet and run any antivirus software you have ,and anti-maleware software you have (maleware bytes is good app). also install "diskinfo" app. it will tell you health of your hard drive..

also is the hard drive HDD,SSD, or nvme?

Dec 22, 2021
disconnect your computer from internet and run any antivirus software you have ,and anti-maleware software you have (maleware bytes is good app). also install "diskinfo" app. it will tell you health of your hard drive..

HDD it's refurbished and around 5 years old. I tried booting it in safe mode, ran windows defender scan but the thing would'nt budge after 2 mins

It's HDD, refurbished and around 5 years old (I think). I booted it in safe mode, couldn't see the performance but it seemed like it was still 100, everything was extremely unresponsive like start and search in safe mode as was prior to safe boot.

I managed to get to running a Windows Defender scan but the thing wouldn't budge past 0% - was looking at it for like 2 mins.

I'll try the Malware Antibytes. I'm wondering if it'd make a difference scanning the drive from a different computer, the 100% on this one be slowing it crazy. I could imagine this scan taking a century.

Is 100% typically malware symptom over a failing drive? I've been reading it being due to malware a lot.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Honestly, it sounds like the hard drive is simply failing and the PC is having trouble consistently reading it. Is the OS on this drive? If so, you need to immediately stop using it, remove the drive, and install the OS on another drive.

Backing up is always a good idea, but it may have come too late to save everything. A five-year-old drive that was already used when you got it is ancient (and any drive should be backed up from day one).

Solution

steveb1976

Reputable
Oct 4, 2020
if you can take it out of pc and add it into external caddy, you could run scans on it that way..

but i think disconection from internet ,and try running anti virus and other scanning apps. and just let the scans run their course. it may take a few hours,but if its a virus or maleware, then your programmes will pick it up and quarantine them, and stop the hdd being at 100% all the time.