Overlord Tempest X270OC, 27" 120 Hz IPS Gaming Monitor Review

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Coberly

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
No guarantee that it will work flawlessly 120Hz all the time with little/no interaction from the user? No thank you. No amount of features or reviews will change the the fact that this is a $450 gamble on a monitor that MIGHT make it to 120Hz.
To quote the article directly:
"...thanks to Overlord’s custom PCB, it can run at up to 120 Hz reliably. Why do we say “up to”? According to Overlord, not every example will be stable at 120 Hz. It is possible that you’ll see artifacts like dropped frames, or you might even hear coil whine from the timing controller choke."
They also recommend you use a 24 gauge cable; that they do NOT include when you purchase the panel.
Thanks, but no thanks.

First, I would hope people are not looking at monitors like this one if they don't have the GPU power to push it to its potential or beyond. Either way, the refresh rate on a conventional non-G-Sync monitor is independent of a GPUs frame rates.

Second, the point I was trying to make is that in the 'Overclock your monitor' section of the manual, it seems like they tend to argue that 96Hz is good enough for most people (which is probably true). 96Hz seems to be a common theme when you also look at the OC guides for the cheap Korean panels as well. Because 96Hz is mentioned in any of these over-clockable monitors' manuals in the OC section, It would seem that 96Hz is a more realistic expectation when it comes to the over-clockable IPS monitor. Anything beyond that is a bonus. If a company is putting the 120Hz label on the box, they need to guarantee 120Hz or don't list it as such.

When I buy a OC-edition GPU or super-clocked GPU, it's warranted to run at the higher clock speed advertised on the box. It should be the same way with a monitor. Even a 96Hz guarantee is still good.

mapesdhs

Distinguished

Entirely agree. In the UK, I'm not sure such a PR approach as this monitor uses would be
allowed (Trades Descriptions Act, etc.) Quite strict here wrt accurate labelling. As you say,
if it's marketed as 120Hz then it should be able to do that without fault. If people buy it
and then don't like it because they can't achieve 120Hz consistently, the monitor will just
end up with a bad rep, bad feedback on seller sites, etc., even though as you say it's probably
A-ok for 96Hz. So if it can do 96Hz reliably then they should market is as a 96Hz display
with a guarantee/warranty to match. It'd sell much better then I reckon.

Ian.

InvalidError

Titan

The 16:10 form factor seems pretty much dead - the few 16:10 options out there are considerably more expensive than their 16:9 nearest equivalent due to higher supply of 16:9 glass driving prices down.

Unless demand for 16:10 suddenly rises, 16:10 will not come back in any meaningful quantities or palatable prices.

Adroid

Distinguished

Hey - I said please!

Seriously though, I do understand and you are correct. 16:9 are cheaper to manufacturer and the marketing ploy of "HD" and "Able to watch movies" is a great sales pitch for the manufacturer. 16:10 is superior aspect ratio for gaming, but the current generation of gamers don't understand that (or perhaps don't know what they are missing).

As much as I would love to see a 16:10 120hz IPS screen, I'm not holding my breath. 27" is borderline too big for me, I would rather see a 16:10 24" panel. Alas, I may have to settle for 16:9 and adjust to the slightly too big 27" model.

Gaming on a 27" screen is different.. It takes longer for your eyes to travel from one side to another. For twitch shooters and such it seems like it may actually reduce your reaction time - but maybe I'm just not used to using one...

InvalidError

Titan

If you normally sit 30" from a 24" screen, back off to 34" and your eye movement across a 27" screen will be the same.

1440x2560 would be perfect for portrait if there were 24" models.

Maybe you didn't read the full review. The reviewer indicated on the first page what they are bringing to the table for this panel that sets them apart from the Korean models. I don't know what his source material was for that statement but, that wouldn't be something you pull out of thin air because of how easy it would be to verify or disprove.

"The key to Overlord’s success with the X270OC is a custom-made control board. That single component is the reason other IPS screens are stuck at 60 Hz. You can perform the same software tweaks necessary to run at 120 Hz on other monitors, but unless the board is equipped to handle those extra frames, you'll likely see either an unusable image or nothing at all."

@Adroid - How is 16:10 superior to 16:9? I remember reading somewhere you actually see less screen in 16:10 aspect ratio vs. 16:9. Was that for a specific resolution or something? Doesn't a 16:9 display in portrait mode mitigate the biggest gripe 16:10 people had with the switch?

Adroid

Distinguished

So I guess you are suggesting you can pay more for a bigger screen then move further away from it to get the same visuals. That might be ok, but type is harder to read from further away, and at higher resolution the type is smaller.

1440x2560 in portrait sounds interesting but I can't visualize it. Would be curious to see.

f-14

Distinguished
["If it had an option for Display port, that would have been almost perfect. That being said, I use DVI anyway, so who am I to complain."]

DISPLAYPORT SUCKS WHY BOTTLENECK YOURSELF TO 1970 TV STANDARDS? HDMI 60MHZ=1970
THIS IS 2014!!!!! COMPUTERS AREN'T FACTORY SIZED WALLS ANY MORE!!!
yes i do mean to shout!

Bondfc11

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013
No guarantee that it will work flawlessly 120Hz all the time with little/no interaction from the user? No thank you. No amount of features or reviews will change the the fact that this is a $450 gamble on a monitor that MIGHT make it to 120Hz.
"...thanks to Overlord’s custom PCB, it can run at up to 120 Hz reliably. Why do we say “up to”? According to Overlord, not every example will be stable at 120 Hz. It is possible that you’ll see artifacts like dropped frames, or you might even hear coil whine from the timing controller choke."
They also recommend you use a 24 gauge cable; that they do NOT include when you purchase the panel.
Thanks, but no thanks.
Thanks, but no thanks.

The Tempest is an AH-IPS panel not the substandard PLS panel. I say substandard since the panel clearly dims when it is overclocked (I have a QNIX as well). That tells me there is something really not great with the panel at an overclock that may lead to an early failure.

Bondfc11

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013

It isn't sold as a 120Hz monitor. It doesn't say anything like that on the box. It clearly says 60Hz capable of overclocking. Not sure how that is a violation of any law in any country. As to Uber's point that he buys an OC'd something it should hit something - that is not the case for a CPU - it is a stock clock that is unlocked - you can get what you get. A GPU listed as an OC at X rate is different, but that is not what Overlord are doing here. They have a stock panel that can OC. Your rate may differ.

I will say the site has now been changed stating all panels are tested to hit 110Hz on manual timings. I bet in response to all these comments - pro and con. I dig Overlord. Yes the warranty is short, but the panel is awesome and the one to one customer service (I actually have had Scribby on the phone more than once) is awesome. I'll support an American manufacturer over the big boys every day of the week. I knew when I was order number 11 back in September 2012 that is was a bit of a gamble, but that original Tempest has run 120Hz since then without issue and my other 2 are doing just fine.

I cannot wait to see what they come out with next (GSYNC PLEASE!!!)

Entirely agree. In the UK, I'm not sure such a PR approach as this monitor uses would be
allowed (Trades Descriptions Act, etc.) Quite strict here wrt accurate labelling. As you say,
if it's marketed as 120Hz then it should be able to do that without fault. If people buy it
and then don't like it because they can't achieve 120Hz consistently, the monitor will just
end up with a bad rep, bad feedback on seller sites, etc., even though as you say it's probably
A-ok for 96Hz. So if it can do 96Hz reliably then they should market is as a 96Hz display
with a guarantee/warranty to match. It'd sell much better then I reckon.

Ian.

I'm going to guess the monitor is not manufactured in the U.S.A., but like many things produced overseas carries a U.S. company badge.

And yes it looks like a couple of things have changed on the overlord site with regard to description, but the title of this review may be what's confusing me as it says 120Hz (not 'up to' or 'overclockable to').

Overlord is definitely meeting a demand. Based on what you described, it sounds like they offer stellar customer service and you have had no problem with reaching 120Hz. Also, based on the review, it looks like a good gaming monitor for an IPS monitor. You don't generally see input lag that low on anything IPS.

Chris Droste

Honorable
May 29, 2013

Also, Last i read the Article, this panel's an LG-make, isn't it? Splitting hairs, i know!

DEPHIC

Honorable
May 1, 2012
I've had mine for a little over a year now. It will clock at 120Hz, but I have it set to 96Hz as I cap the frame rate for better performance. I'm running 2 modded 680 Classifieds on water with a I980x at 4.2Ghz. This is sufficient without any significant frame rate drop on most games. I'll add 2 more monitors once the Haswell-E processors, and Nvidia 800 series are available. Very pleased with the Overlord Monitor, just need more power.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Finaly a worthwhile gaming monitor, not the usual low res 1080p crap. I hope more monitor companies jump on this chance to fill a big gap in their monitor selection.

soldier44

Honorable
May 30, 2013
16:9 sucks been gaming on a 30 inch 2560 x 1600 display for years now and never going back to 16:9 the extra real estate is worth the extra cost to me.

Couple points:

1) It's not the "holy grail" of monitors. There are more Pros and Cons between TN/IPS t han simply the refresh rate. TN for example has lower response times (the time for the actual color of the pixel to change).

Increasing the refresh rate does not reduce the response time so you'd still get GHOSTING issues with IPS.

2) G-SYNC is an awesome gaming feature though I know not everyone that would get this monitor games. 120Hz is better even if it's just to make your cursor move more smoothly.

The "holy grail" of gaming monitors would be THIS:
a) 2560x1440 or higher res
b) IPS or OLED (IPS if response time lowered to 2ms or less)
c) G-Sync
d) other: better lightboost, auto brightness, 3D support, inputs

3) 16x9 will not be the ONLY resolution in the future. There are good reasons to get a 16x10 monitor though 16x9 will be the most common. I expect we'll see 2560x1600 for a long time yet.

Zepid

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
Pretty <mod edit> you guys compared it to TN panels to make it look superior when this panel is an AH-IPS.

Make no mistake, this monitor looks like <mod edit> next to other IPS panels. It only excels next to TN Gaymur panels.

rishiswaz

Honorable
Mar 10, 2012

That was really articulate of you, I mean seriously I couldn't stop laughing at how cleaver Gaymur is. Is this your day-job or are you just like this on accident? They compared it to the monitors it was competing with, and if you read the article it also provides analysis on how it stack against other IPS panels. Try harder next time

Not sure you are quite correct there. There are several AH-IPS panels that have got really great reviews. AH-IPS came out in 2011, was developed by LG, and has improved color accuracy versus the previous LG IPS panels.

I own the Dell U2711 which is great, and the Dell U2713H is an improvement:
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/60474-dell-ultrasharp-u2713h-27-ah-ips-monitor-review.html

I've never seen the Tempest in person, but based on all the information and reviews on monitors with AH-IPS, I think your statement "looks like <mod edit> next to other IPS panels" is very misinformed especially since you seem to imply AH-IPS in general is crap not just this monitor and that's just not the case.

Zepid

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
That was really articulate of you, I mean seriously I couldn't stop laughing at how cleaver Gaymur is. Is this your day-job or are you just like this on accident? They compared it to the monitors it was competing with, and if you read the article it also provides analysis on how it stack against other IPS panels. Try harder next time

Muphry's law at work here. The article merely states, in passing, that the panel performs similarly or better to similar IPS panels - and shows no data to back that up. Face it, it was intentionally pitted against inferior panels to make it shine, and it still fell short in many respects. This whole article reads like a paid advertisement, and you look as asinine as my original remark and your spelling of "cleaver" for sticking up for it.

Zepid

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
Not sure you are quite correct there. There are several AH-IPS panels that have got really great reviews. AH-IPS came out in 2011, was developed by LG, and has improved color accuracy versus the previous LG IPS panels.

I own the Dell U2711 which is great, and the Dell U2713H is an improvement:
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/60474-dell-ultrasharp-u2713h-27-ah-ips-monitor-review.html

I've never seen the Tempest in person, but based on all the information and reviews on monitors with AH-IPS, I think your statement "looks like <mod edit> next to other IPS panels" is very misinformed especially since you seem to imply AH-IPS in general is crap not just this monitor and that's just not the case.

My coworker has two Tempest panels in his office and they look awful next to my Viewsonic VP2770. One of his has a permanent yellow tint to it and the other is forever stuck on the cool side of the spectrum with a blue tent. We work in a mastering lab and have access to calibration tools, his crummy C- grade panels are forever stuck that way, it is the most accurate color uniformity he can achieve.

If you read Overlord's own support forums you will see similar results. This is a paid advertisement, not a study on a potential alternative product.

jeff-fai

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2008
The website lists this monitor for preorder. Is there any info on when they would ship it? I'm not comfortable with giving my money for something and not knowing when or IF I will get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.