P3 P800 IDE Config

I have the P4 P800S m.b and just wondering if someone of mb knowledge could
tell me something about the IDE Configuration function? When I clik on it, it
gives me a Enhanced ( for XP and etc. ) or Compatibilty for Win 95,98. How does
that work? I have 2 OS on one hd in different partitions. One is win98se and
the other is XP Home. I have 3 hd's and 1 cd rom in my system.The latter two
are master and slave. That is the hd that has both OS'.s. The other 2 are just
data files..and yet I made one master and the other slave. Is that okay, or
should I make both of them slaves too? Here is the rub. When i set the ide
config to compatibility * for win98 use, the drive that has the 2 os's does
not get detected, just the 2 data drives and yet I can't boot them because
they
> don't have os. When I change the ide to enhanced then all is well. I see all
of
> them. What purpose is that ide config for? I was under the assumption that it
> would change to one or the other automatically , but apparently it
doesn't.

Paul

Splendid

In article <20040501190908.26386.00000638@mb-m28.aol.com>, t009@aol.com
(T009) wrote:

> I have the P4 P800S m.b and just wondering if someone of mb knowledge
> could tell me something about the IDE Configuration function? When I
> clik on it, it gives me a Enhanced ( for XP and etc. ) or Compatibilty
> for Win 95,98. How does that work? I have 2 OS on one hd in different
> partitions. One is win98se and the other is XP Home. I have 3 hd's and
> 1 cd rom in my system.The latter two are master and slave. That is the
> hd that has both OS'.s. The other 2 are just data files..and yet I made
> one master and the other slave. Is that okay, or should I make both of
> them slaves too? Here is the rub. When i set the ide config to
> compatibility * for win98 use, the drive that has the 2 os's does
> not get detected, just the 2 data drives and yet I can't boot them
> because they don't have os. When I change the ide to enhanced then
> all is well. I see all of them. What purpose is that ide config for?
> I was under the assumption that it would change to one or the other
> automatically , but apparently it doesn't.

Older Windows operating systems only understand PATA interfaces
and IRQ 14 and 15 are the resources allocated for those functions.
When you want to use a SATA drive with an older Windows operating
system, there is a hardware option that makes the two SATA drives
take up the same resources as one of the PATA cables. That is so
the operating system can be fooled into supporting a SATA drive,
when otherwise it wouldn't be able to.

Normally, two PATA cables support four disk drives, while the
two SATA interfaces allow two more drives to be connected. When
you select the Enhanced setting, you can connect all six drives
and they will work in WinXP. If you want to use Win98 and use
two of the SATA drives, then you need to use the Compatible
setting, and only one of the two PATA cables will work. That
is because the resources needed to control the other PATA cable
are now being used to control the SATA drives. Thus, in Win98
you can have four drives in Compatibility mode, versus six
drives in Enhanced WinXP mode.

I think some of this is explained in the ICH5 Southbridge
datasheet from Intel. (The terms in the datasheet, are "legacy
mode" and "native mode".) Apparently, the PATA interfaces either
have a fixed I/O address or they are enumerated as a PCI device.
It is like a hardware block is being moved around in the internal
architecture of the Southbridge.

This is a 7.6MB (671 page) datasheet:
http://developer.intel.com/design/chipsets/datashts/25251601.pdf

HTH,
Paul

>Normally, two PATA cables support four disk drives, while the
>two SATA interfaces allow two more drives to be connected. When
>you select the Enhanced setting, you can connect all six drives
>and they will work in WinXP. If you want to use Win98 and use

HI, thanks for your response, but i am a little confused by it. Excuse my
ignorance but isn't SATA referred to serial hd connection? I thought I made my
post clear by stating IDE connections. Of course what you said is important and
good to know, if i intend to in the future purchase a serial hd.My subject was
a typo...its a P4 P800S m.b.not P3. If you could respond to my post in regard
as such as I wrote, it would be appreciated. Thanks

Paul

Splendid

In article <20040502213658.15096.00000735@mb-m10.aol.com>, t009@aol.com
(T009) wrote:

> >Normally, two PATA cables support four disk drives, while the
> >two SATA interfaces allow two more drives to be connected. When
> >you select the Enhanced setting, you can connect all six drives
> >and they will work in WinXP. If you want to use Win98 and use
>
> HI, thanks for your response, but i am a little confused by it. Excuse
> my ignorance but isn't SATA referred to serial hd connection? I thought
> I made my post clear by stating IDE connections. Of course what you
> said is important and good to know, if i intend to in the future
> purchase a serial hd.My subject was a typo...its a P4 P800S m.b.not
> P3. If you could respond to my post in regard as such as I wrote, it
> would be appreciated. Thanks

Sigh. I was trying to explain why there is a setting called
Enhanced or Compatible. Even if you are not using the SATA
interface, you still have to understand what those two options
are for.

SATA0 = <unused>
SATA1 = <unused>
Primary IDE Master = Hard drive with two OS (Win98/WinXP)
Primary IDE Slave = CDROM
Secondary IDE Master = Hard drive with data
Secondary IDE Slave = Hard drive with data

Best setting (called Configuration C in the manual):
"Onboard IDE Operate Mode" [Compatible]
"IDE Port Settings" [P-ATA Ports Only]

Give that a try with your two OS choices and see if it works.

As for your plan to add SATA drives, in reading the manual, it
suggests there would be a problem with more than four drives
under Win98. I don't know if there is a solution for that or
not (i.e. some way to have drivers under Win98, while mode
is set to Enhanced). In any case, I suggest you solve the
problem sooner, rather than later - try to use settings
consistent with your final desired configuration, as it will
make setting up the disks easier and less work.

This shorter document, tries, but doesn't completely succeed
at explaining the issues. The terminology is not exactly
the same as that used by Asus.

"ICH5 SATA Programmers Reference Manual"
http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets/manuals/25267102.pdf

The only hope of using Win98 with more than four drives, is
if native mode drivers are available. (That would make the
SATA drivers show up as SCSI in the OS - as in SCSI
emulation drivers.) It is either that, or invest in a separate
disk controller card, that is known to have native drivers for
Win98. Perhaps one of the storage related newsgroups or
Google would be better able to answer that question.

HTH,
Paul

Primary IDE Master = Hard drive with two OS (Win98/WinXP)
Primary IDE Slave = CDROM
Secondary IDE Master = Hard drive with data
Secondary IDE Slave = Hard drive with data>>>

I hope i haven't offended you. As you could see I have a lot to learn. Just out
of curiousity, I quoted your suggestion above to show you how I have my 4
drives setup...
Primary ide master=HD with data only.
Primary ide slave= HD empty.
Secondary ide master= Win98SE, XP
Secondary ide slave= cd rom
I had no choice in the matter due to limitation of location and ribbon cables.
That is why I was asking about the enhanced and compatibility modes. Under
these conditions with the IDE Configured to enhance mode, I see all 4. With
Compatibility mode , I do not see my OS's hd and cd rom, just the data hd's. So
I always have to have the enhanced mode on. As far as serial hd, I have no
intentions going that route, but its good to know with the info you gave me.
Thanks for your very informative replies:)
Tony

Paul

Splendid

In article <20040503192958.11380.00000850@mb-m18.aol.com>, t009@aol.com
(T009) wrote:

> Primary IDE Master = Hard drive with two OS (Win98/WinXP)
> Primary IDE Slave = CDROM
> Secondary IDE Master = Hard drive with data
> Secondary IDE Slave = Hard drive with data>>>
>
> I hope i haven't offended you. As you could see I have a lot to learn.
Just out
> of curiousity, I quoted your suggestion above to show you how I have my 4
> drives setup...
> Primary ide master=HD with data only.
> Primary ide slave= HD empty.
> Secondary ide master= Win98SE, XP
> Secondary ide slave= cd rom
> I had no choice in the matter due to limitation of location and ribbon cables.
> That is why I was asking about the enhanced and compatibility modes. Under
> these conditions with the IDE Configured to enhance mode, I see all 4. With
> Compatibility mode , I do not see my OS's hd and cd rom, just the data
hd's. So
> I always have to have the enhanced mode on. As far as serial hd, I have no
> intentions going that route, but its good to know with the info you gave me.
> Thanks for your very informative replies:)
> Tony

I'm not offended, just puzzled at how best to answer the question.

Based on the symptoms, it sounds like when you selected [Compatible],
you must have set the "IDE Port Settings" to [Sec. P-ATA+S-ATA]. That
setting causes the Primary IDE cable to be turned off, leaving the
Secondary IDE cable and the two SATA drive cables operational.

Instead, do what I suggested, which is [Compatible] and
[P-ATA Ports Only]. That is supposed to make the Primary and
Secondary cables work, but leaves the S-ATA unavailable.
And I think that setting will work with both operating systems.

So, did you use [Compatible] and [P-ATA Ports Only] for the
test that failed ?

If not, what exact setting are you using for your two
test cases ?

Maybe this is a driver issue, but first we have to agree on
what settings you are using.

HTH,
Paul

So, did you use [Compatible] and [P-ATA Ports Only] for the
test that failed ? >>>

I don't know how to set up P-ATA ports. It dawned upon me this morning that if
I leave all as is, just copy my secondary master that has both OS's to my
primary master with Drive Image, the results would make my primary ide hd the
one that has the os's. Then I'll delete the other and make that my data hd.

Paul

Splendid

In article <20040504191445.16549.00000684@mb-m04.aol.com>, t009@aol.com
(T009) wrote:

> So, did you use [Compatible] and [P-ATA Ports Only] for the
> test that failed ? >>>
>
> I don't know how to set up P-ATA ports. It dawned upon me this
> morning that if I leave all as is, just copy my secondary master
> that has both OS's to my primary master with Drive Image, the
> results would make my primary ide hd the one that has the os's.
> Then I'll delete the other and make that my data hd.

Do you know how to enter the BIOS setup screen at powerup ?

Read the manual, and it will say this:

"Press <Delete> during the Power-On Self Test (POST) to
enter the Setup utility. Otherwise, POST continues with
its test routines."

When the BIOS setup screen comes up, you should be in the
"Main" page. Use the tab key, to highlight the "IDE Configuration"
item. Press Enter.

When the "IDE Configuration" screen comes up, use the keys listed
on the right of the screen, to maneuver to the "Onboard IDE Operate
Mode". Set it to [Compatible Mode]. A new field should appear on
the screen, called "IDE Port Settings". Set this to [P-ATA Ports only].

Those two settings should look something like

"Onboard IDE Operate Mode" [Compatible]
"IDE Port Settings" [P-ATA Ports Only]

Those settings are supposed to allow both WinXP and Win98
to boot.

When finished, press the <esc> key (upper left corner of
keyboard), to return to the main level of the BIOS setup.
Use a cursor key to move to the "Exit" menu item. The
"Exit" screen should appear.

On the "Exit" screen, select "Exit and Save Changes", assuming
you are happy with your changes. If you are worried about what
you have done, you can select "Exit and Discard Changes".
The computer will POST again, and if you have succeeded in
modifying the BIOS settings, both of your P-ATA IDE cables
and the associated drives, should be working.

HTH,
Paul