P4 3.2 Prescott , problem with speed.-Advice

colinm1

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have just upgraded my system from Pentium 4 1.8 Ghz to Pentium 4 3.2Ghz 1mb Cache 800mhz FSB

Problem is Windows System Information shows processor as being rated at 2.8Ghz.
Also when checked with Si Soft Sandra it shows that it is recognized as a P4 3.2Ghz but states that processor speed is 2.8Ghz.

Have checked the bios where again it is recognized as P4 3.2 with 1mb Cache 800FSB but states that it's frequency is only 2.8Ghz.

Is this normal? or have I done something wrong in setup?.Is this CPU under performing for some reason?

Bios configuration is set to default.

I would be very grateful for any advice on this matter.

Sys. Specs:

Asus P4P800E Deluxe Mobo
Pentium P4 3.2Ghz 1mb Cache 800FSB
1Gb of Dual DDR 400 Ram (PC3200)
NVidia FX 5900 XT 128Mb Graphices Card
1x Maxtor 80Gb 7200 Hard Drive
1x IBM Deskstar 60GB Hard Drive
Windows XP Pro/Corporate O/S

Thanks

Rules are for the guidance of the wise and the obedience of fools.

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
Probably an heat issue. Intel CPU automatically throttle down when they run too hot! You chose a Prescott, you have to deal with heat. Prescott are the WORST CPU in terms of heat dissipation on the market right now.

<A HREF="http://www.panopsys.com/throttlewatch.htm" target="_new">http://www.panopsys.com/throttlewatch.htm</A>

Install this application to see if your Prescott is effectively victim of is own heat!

-
A7N8X / <font color=green><b>Sempron 2800+</b></font color=green> <- <i>Is this affecting my credibility?</i>
Kingston DDR333 2x256Megs
<font color=red>Radeon 8500 128Megs</font color=red> @ C:275/M:290 <- <i>It's enough for WoW!</i>

colinm1

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks for your reply.

Don't think it's a heat problem as current temp is 54C which is apparently normal for 3.2 Prescott , I have read of quite a few posts that other 3.2's are running hotter without chip throttling down.

Thanks

peteroy

Distinguished
BANNED
Jun 14, 2004
Did you try updating the BIOS?

===========================
<A HREF="http://www.intelreviews.com" target="_new">Intelreviews.com</A>

RichPLS

Champion
I have read that some mobo's display processor incorrectly, but run at correct speed.
Update your bios, and check w/mobo man. to see if this issue affects your board.

<font color=red><pre>\\//__________________________________
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

colinm1

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Have upgraded top latest bios 1019.005. as posted on ASUS web site but still getting same proble, BTW thnx for replies, much appreciate the help.

Forgive my ignorance but who or what is mobo man?

Rules are for the guidance of the wise and the obedience of fools.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by colinm1 on 11/28/04 09:38 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
And I thought he meant MOBO Manuel,

Oh well, at least we can all agree MOBO Man is vauge to say the least. A very good question what is MOBO Man.

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart.

RichPLS

Champion
Sorry bout the confusion, but did you figure it out and are now at 3200?

So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Aww, and here I thought that Mobo Man was a demented superhero.

<font color=red><b>I am ... MOBO MAN, champion of semiconductors, and defender of downtrodden CPUs!</b></font color=red>

No?

<pre><b><font color=red>"Build a man a fire and he's warm for the rest of the evening.
Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life." - Steve Taylor</font color=red></b></pre><p>

RichPLS

Champion
LMAO

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
try installing Sisoft Sandra, its a utility that will give you all kinds of information about your computer and operating system. It will also show what clock speed and temps you have

-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>
Brand name whores are stupid!

sparky853

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
You mustn't have read the first post properly. He DID use SiSoft Sandra, and it reported his CPU as a 3.2GHz, running at 2.8GHz.

XP2800+, Abit NF7, 1GB Dual-Channel DDR333, ATI R9800PRO 128MB, TT PurePower 420W, LG DVD+-R/RW
:redface: <font color=red>My wife says I suffer from premature ejaculation...I don't remember suffering<font color=red> :wink:

endyen

Splendid
What is your fsb? Some mobos do not like to run the fsb faster than the rating of the memory. If your memory is running at pc2700 speed, it may be slowing your fsb down.

colinm1

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
No, memory running ok 400mhz (PC3200) still having same trouble.

Have latest bios (10019.005) whhich is posted on ASUS site, does anyone know of a later version somewhere?

Rules are for the guidance of the wise and the obedience of fools.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by colinm1 on 11/29/04 09:02 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

colinm1

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Multiplier showing 14x I think this is the problem, does not seem to be a way to change this configuration, can this be done and if so how?

thnx for everybodies help.