P4P800 Bios Chip

Looking for method to remove the bios chip from this board and replacing it
with a new one, how do they come out?

Paul

Splendid

In article
<rRBlc.383924$2oI1.93757@twister01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>, "Just
Asking" <redrider@rogers.com> wrote:

> Looking for method to remove the bios chip from this board and replacing it
> with a new one, how do they come out?

If it is a PLCC, use one of these. I seldom had access to one of
these, and uses a thing like a dental pick to ease a PLCC out of
a socket. The main idea, is not to bend the pins on the device
or the pins in the socket. The following tool grips the device
via diagonal corners, allowing the device to be pulled straight
out. If you rock the device, to pull it out, or to insert it,
there is a small chance you could distort the pins. (That used
to happen to me occasionally, and a pair of pliers can be used
to bend the pins back if you mess them up.)

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=276-2101

To push it in, you don't use the tool. Just push down on all four
sides, and try to push it in on all sides equally.

Make note of the position of the alignment "dot" on the device
you are about to remove, so you can insert the new one in the
correct position. If you insert it wrong, the reversed power
supply pins on the EEPROM can get so hot, that two of the pins
will glow. (That happened to someone in this group, who bought
some motherboards that had been refurbished by an idiot. The idiot
put new EEPROMS in the sockets, only inserted them the wrong
way before shipping them.)

HTH,
Paul

Gman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

In article <rRBlc.383924$2oI1.93757@twister01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>, "Just Asking" <redrider@rogers.com> wrote:
>Looking for method to remove the bios chip from this board and replacing it
>with a new one, how do they come out?

Why remove it? Unless it is physically dead, just use the recovery mode built
into the system to reflash the bios. Just booting with the CD that came with
the MB will allow you to reflash the chip.

Maximus

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2003

"Just Asking" <redrider@rogers.com> wrote in message
> Looking for method to remove the bios chip from this board and replacing
it
> with a new one, how do they come out?

You can see 2 small gaps in diagonal line, one with right corner the other
is not.
Using a very small screw driver, and slightly lift a little bit on one
corner and next
on the other corner but DO NOT lift too high, paying attention to the ANGLE
of
the Bios chip.

Then, at one point, you can lift them from the corner with *triangular* gap.

When you put it back, push down with some controlled force, not too strong,
untill you here a light sound or feel it already levels itself deeply
enough.

HTH

Maximus

Gman, seems that I erased the current bios, and I can't the board to boot to
anything, no devices at all, thanks maximuns for the suggestion, and Paul I
like the idea of your tool suggestion.

Anyone have an idea what they cost to replace?

"Just Asking" <redrider@rogers.com> wrote in message
> Looking for method to remove the bios chip from this board and replacing
it
> with a new one, how do they come out?

Thanks again Maximus....will check these out

"Just Asking" <redrider@rogers.com> wrote in message
> Looking for method to remove the bios chip from this board and replacing
it
> with a new one, how do they come out?

Maximus

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2003

You can buy the BIOS chip from Asus; probably somewhere
between USD$25.- to USD$30.- Plus shipping charge. It may take
about few days or a week, if you live in US. In other country, you
need to check with the site.

Search on Google for BIOS chip will get you a picture about
taking out the chip:

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/image/10920/

You can also look for a company selling BIOS replacement.
I do not remember the name of that company or computer shop,
but it seems they have a lot of types.

HTH

Maximus