p4p800-e and promise controller problems

Edward

I have the P4P800-e motherboard. I have two IDE hard drives, a CD
Writer, and an LS120 Floppy drive hooked up on the boards regular IDE
channels. Everything has been working fine.

I bought a 160 gig Seagate IDE drive which I am trying to install on the
Promise controller. I enabled the promise controller in the BIOS and
set it to IDE. I downloaded and installed the IDE promise driver from
the Asus website. The BIOS recognizes the drive (as 149 gig if that
matters), but Windows XP does not see the drive. It is warm, so I assume
it is spinning up. Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong? Thanks for
any help.

Edward

Format the drive if you havn't done so. You also need XPsp1 for the
drive to be recognised above the 137gig barrier.

Locust

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 02:12:42 GMT, Edward <Edward@nospamatall.com>
wrote:

>I have the P4P800-e motherboard. I have two IDE hard drives, a CD
>Writer, and an LS120 Floppy drive hooked up on the boards regular IDE
>channels. Everything has been working fine.
>
>I bought a 160 gig Seagate IDE drive which I am trying to install on the
>Promise controller. I enabled the promise controller in the BIOS and
>set it to IDE. I downloaded and installed the IDE promise driver from
>the Asus website. The BIOS recognizes the drive (as 149 gig if that
>matters), but Windows XP does not see the drive. It is warm, so I assume
>it is spinning up. Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong? Thanks for
>any help.
>
>Edward

Edward

When I said the drive was recognized by the BIOS, I meant it showed up
correctly while booting. However, when I go into the BIOS, it does not
appear as a master or slave drive that I can configure. It is
configured as a master with the jumpers on the drive.

Edward wrote:
> I have the P4P800-e motherboard. I have two IDE hard drives, a CD
> Writer, and an LS120 Floppy drive hooked up on the boards regular IDE
> channels. Everything has been working fine.
>
> I bought a 160 gig Seagate IDE drive which I am trying to install on the
> Promise controller. I enabled the promise controller in the BIOS and
> set it to IDE. I downloaded and installed the IDE promise driver from
> the Asus website. The BIOS recognizes the drive (as 149 gig if that
> matters), but Windows XP does not see the drive. It is warm, so I assume
> it is spinning up. Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong? Thanks for
> any help.
>
> Edward

ggs

Distinguished
May 28, 2004

In news:uwlEd.15653$ho.12404@fe2.texas.rr.com,
Edward <Edward@nospamatall.com> typed:

> I have the P4P800-e motherboard. I have two IDE hard drives, a CD
> Writer, and an LS120 Floppy drive hooked up on the boards regular IDE
> channels. Everything has been working fine.
>
> I bought a 160 gig Seagate IDE drive which I am trying to install on
> the Promise controller. I enabled the promise controller in the BIOS
> and set it to IDE. I downloaded and installed the IDE promise driver
> from the Asus website. The BIOS recognizes the drive (as 149 gig if
> that matters), but Windows XP does not see the drive. It is warm, so
> I assume it is spinning up. Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong?

My Computer Right-click , Manage , Disk Managament , then do what U want.
*
*P4 3.0E,QC-80Cu,P4C800-Dlx/Wi-Fi,1024MB/400,Sapph9600P/128bB*
*HercFortissimo GS 7.1,CT-InspireP580,LTV878-FBKMN,HyundaiIQ790*
*2x40GB+1x80GB/7200,SD-M1712/CRW-5232AS,GPS-350BB-101L*