P5B-Deluxe - won't recognize more than 2.5 GB RAM

AP-123

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2006
P5B-Deluxe won't recongnize more than to chips at a time.

Using Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 Model TWIN2x2048-6400c4

I have 4GB ram total and have tried 2 and then the other 2 both in different slots. Bios has no problem recognizing 2 sticks just not all four together.

Asus forum member recomended I enable memory remapping but manual says enable this option only for 64-bit systems. I tried and still no luck.

AP-123

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2006
Strange thing is that the bios shows only 2496 mb ram or something close to that.

Asus is cross shipping me a new board - I'm not sure this is the answer.

Another strange thing is that the splash screen for the P5B stays on the screen for a really long time now. Maybe there is another problem I'm not aware of.

Another strange thing is that the splash screen for the P5B stays on the screen for a really long time now. Maybe there is another problem I'm not aware of.

Press TAB during the splash screen. That will allow you to see what is going on with the POST. I have an idea that it might be the HDD detection. A lot of people have complained about some HDD's taking 8-13 seconds to detect behind the splash screen. I had this problem with a Seagate 7200.10. The fix for this is to update to the latest Intel Matrix Storage Manager (I'm using 6.2.0.2002) found at Intel's website (they traditionally have more update drivers than the Asus site). This fixed the problem for me.

Here's a related thread from Asus' website:

AHCI boot issue

I hope this helps.

lexluthermiester

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
I don't mean to be insulting in any way, but the choice of ASUS was a poor one. I work for PC Club as a tech and nearly 50% of all the ASUS boards we sell comeback defective. This has been a trend for ASUS over the past year and a half. I'd recommend trading that ASUS board for a Gigabyte, EVGA or DFI mobo. You'll have all of your memory and none of the headaches...

AP-123

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2006
Appreciate the info - hope the new board works. ASUS has always been a good choice for me in the past. Last purchase was over 2 years ago.

ASUS was difficult to get through to and still has not processed my RMA. Said warranty covered repairs only.

NEWEGG was fantastic. Processed an RMA overnighted a replacement and covered the cost.

WAY TO GO NEWEGG!

RichPLS

Champion
I don't mean to be insulting in any way, but the choice of ASUS was a poor one. I work for PC Club as a tech and nearly 50% of all the ASUS boards we sell comeback defective. This has been a trend for ASUS over the past year and a half. I'd recommend trading that ASUS board for a Gigabyte, EVGA or DFI mobo. You'll have all of your memory and none of the headaches...

Interesting... I have had a trouble free experience with my Asus P5B Deluxe WiFi mobo, using 2x1gig Corsair and an E6600.
Also have 6 HD's, 2 WD Raptors are RAID0, and boot drive is Raptor 150gig.

kwalker

Distinguished
May 3, 2006

Interesting... I have had a trouble free experience with my Asus P5B Deluxe WiFi mobo, using 2x1gig Corsair and an E6600.
Also have 6 HD's, 2 WD Raptors are RAID0, and boot drive is Raptor 150gig.
I agree
Although Asus has had its problems the P5B Deluxe has been a very good board and Asus has been prompt on bios updates.
He's probably referring to the NVIDIA based chipsets. (They were a nightmare for awhile)

Just like any other mainboard they all have had their problems.
It’s a matter of preference.
I’ve personally had bad luck with Abit but still use them. :mrgreen:

AP-123

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2006
As usual - tech support was quick to replace. The new board had the same issues.

There are several posts on the net relating to 4GB RAB and 32bit OS.

If 64bit OS then you must enable memory remapping in the bios. If not you're out of luck.

My system shows 2431MB RAM - as some of the RAM gets used for your cards (GPU - I have two).

jethrodesign

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2004
I'm also curious about this as I'm thinking of getting the same MOBO.

I've read some posts about 32 bit OS's not being able to use the top amount of memory if using the maximum amount (4GB).

- I'm curious to know if it's recommended, then, to get 3GB of ram for 32bit OS instead of 4GB (ie, will the same resources or processes that 'decrease' the amount of ram available when you have 4GB, also decrease the 'available' amount of RAM if you get 3GB)?

I was thinking about just getting 3GB or ram for now, until I upgrade someday to Vista 64. But I don't want to end up with only 2 or 2.5GB of 'usable' RAM.

AP-123

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2006
I'm no expert but as I mentioned there are plenty of references to this on the net. I do know that there is some advantage to adding RAM in pairs.

good luck