Question Packet loss on 100ft ethernet connection

Bobman108

Honorable
Aug 16, 2016
I live in a rental home that was constructed in 2020, but with no ethernet because "wifi is the future". Anyways, I need to reduce my ping for online gaming as wifi isn't cutting it. Since I rent this house, I cannot make a bunch of holes in the house. However, I can lead a wire up to my bedroom from the router's one and only allowed spot according to our hoa (downstairs living room). The problem is that when I go into games, I experience packet loss. My friend told me to try and do "ping www.google.com -t" in cmd and every once in a while I get "request timed out". Then I tried packetlosstest.com and same thing, some test are perfect, other get packet loss. I read in a bunch of forums that the wire may be the issue and to me that made sense. I got another wire. one that was built for outdoors use and pretty pricey. Same results. I got another ethernet cable, one with a bunch of 5 star reviews... same thing. Now I have three 100ft ethernet cables I still haven't returned and poopy ping.

Problem is you are reading the reviews from idiots.
I strongly suspect you bought that flat cable does meet the standards for a ethernet cable. Real ethernet can go 100 meters but the fake stuff is lucky many times to be able to go 10ft.

You only need cat5e since it can do 1gbit at 100 meters. Key though is the cable must be pure copper (no CCA) and it must have wire size 22-24 those flat cables are 30 or even 33 which is much too thin. You want to search for ads that clearly state these details. Repuitble vendor know all about the fake cable being sold and make it a point to show their product meets standards. This is all because of the price of copper metal, the fake cables are cheaper because they have less metal but they also do not work as well.

Bobman108

Honorable
Aug 16, 2016
Problem is you are reading the reviews from idiots.
I strongly suspect you bought that flat cable does meet the standards for a ethernet cable. Real ethernet can go 100 meters but the fake stuff is lucky many times to be able to go 10ft.

You only need cat5e since it can do 1gbit at 100 meters. Key though is the cable must be pure copper (no CCA) and it must have wire size 22-24 those flat cables are 30 or even 33 which is much too thin. You want to search for ads that clearly state these details. Repuitble vendor know all about the fake cable being sold and make it a point to show their product meets standards. This is all because of the price of copper metal, the fake cables are cheaper because they have less metal but they also do not work as well.
I figured cable matters was a reputable brand. My third/current cable attempt is from DbillionDa

There is no such thing as cat6e. The cable is cat6a and is used for 10gbit connections it does not run better than cat5e when you connect it to a 1gbit port.
Cat8 cable is extremely expensive and only used in data centers. This makes it even more likely it is a fake cable.

Bobman108

Honorable
Aug 16, 2016
Max length for Cat5 is 100 meters. If this one is only 100 feet, should be fine (length-wise). Cat6 won't resolve that.
I know cat 5 and up are more than capable of 100ft. I'm just unsure why three cables
There is no such thing as cat6e. The cable is cat6a and is used for 10gbit connections it does not run better than cat5e when you connect it to a 1gbit port.
Cat8 cable is extremely expensive and only used in data centers. This makes it even more likely it is a fake cable.
I don't see how it could be a fake. The cable was about $80 and DbillionDa seems pretty well respected from a quick google search. Regardless, what brand would you suggest.

Which cable did you buy. You will notice when they put in test results they are only testing 65ft on their so called cat8.

They also sell lots of cable that has only 26awg. That is only allowed for short patch cords.

Read the specs you need pure copper wire with AWG 22-23. Anything else is not a ethernet cable it is just a piece of fancy wire. Amazon allows them to sell this crap but they don't allow fake purses or fake watches. The standard is very clear as to what a ethernet cable actually is.

I am not so sure about dbillionda, they appear to one of those companies that only really exist on amazon. They manufacture in china and ship directly to amazon warehouses.

So the best cable you have is the first one. That one clearly states it uses AWG24 pure copper.

The second is a fake because it uses copper clad.

A real cat8 cable is limited to 30 meters running 25gbit, not sure what it is rated to for slower speeds since nobody uses them . The ones I see on DAbillion cat8 are all AWG26

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I am not so sure about dbillionda, they appear to one of those companies that only really exist on amazon. They manufacture in china and ship directly to amazon warehouses.

So the best cable you have is the first one. That one clearly states it uses AWG24 pure copper.

A real cat8 cable is limited to 30 meters running 25gbit, not sure what it is rated to for slower speeds since nobody uses them . The ones I see on DAbillion cat8 are all AWG26
I concur with bill001g. The first cable is the best and should be fine for the stated use. Have you run speedtest to see how it performs?

Bobman108

Honorable
Aug 16, 2016

Ok. Maybe my first cable matters was damaged. I'll try and buy another one from them and return the others.

Not sure what to recommend since a meter that can actually test cables meet certified parameters cost more than most people are willing to pay. The first cable should work but any cable can be damaged or defective.

I would ping your router IP rather than things on the internet. Likely not see anything different but it shows it is inside your house rather than something outside. You might see something in the event log if the port is actually going down.

I would also check your motherboard and maybe the router to ensure there are no stupid "green" power settings turned on.

Bobman108

Honorable
Aug 16, 2016
Not sure what to recommend since a meter that can actually test cables meet certified parameters cost more than most people are willing to pay. The first cable should work but any cable can be damaged or defective.

I would ping your router IP rather than things on the internet. Likely not see anything different but it shows it is inside your house rather than something outside. You might see something in the event log if the port is actually going down.

I would also check your motherboard and maybe the router to ensure there are no stupid "green" power settings turned on.
I don't think any "green" power setting is turned on. Never touched the settings since setting it to "high performance mode" in the power settings. In my previous appartment, I was wired and didn't have any packet loss with the same router and pc. Hell, I even had cheap ethernet cables (granted they were only 2 feet long).

Bobman108

Honorable
Aug 16, 2016
I concur with bill001g. The first cable is the best and should be fine for the stated use. Have you run speedtest to see how it performs?
Yeah, I'm giving his suggestion a shot and got another CableMatters cable. The speed test looks fine. In game is where the problem arises. When I get packet loss, every player controlled character stops moving for a moment because my computer is temporarily unable to communicate with the game server.

Bobman108

Honorable
Aug 16, 2016
Is there more than one router in this config? Yours and one on the property?
There was the isp provided router, but I swapped it out completely. As well as the modem. I had it configured and it should be in working order according to my router's simple looking diagnostics and Spectrum's setup page from when I first set it up.