[SOLVED] Packet loss only on one computer on the same network

n9neman

Honorable
Aug 2, 2014
So, really weird issue here. I've been getting bad packet loss while gaming on my desktop for quite some time now. All this time, I assumed it was my ISP's fault, but I'm starting to think i was wrong. I used another laptop in my house to ping to the router to test packet loss, and i get NO packet loss on the laptop while pinging. Not a single packet. I ping from my desktop at the exact same time as my laptop is going, and i see packet loss on my desktop but none on my laptop still. So, I figured, maybe it was my wireless adapter on my desktop. So, I used an old wireless adapter I had lying around to try that instead. Still packet loss. Next step, I thought, maybe its my computer, not the adapters? So I plugged one into my laptop and disabled the laptops internal adapter and made it use that one. No packet loss still. So it can't be the adapter. Im at a complete loss as to what's happening as it seems like its the pc itself doing it somehow and not the adapters or the router.

(And please don't click this just to comment "Use ethernet." As if I hadn't already thought of that. I would if I could.

Solution
Ideally, you'd want to benchmark this against a wired connection in the same system, but since you can't I would boot a linux live cd/usb and see if you get packet loss there. If not, it's simply a windows issue. If you do--it is some sort of network issue and not a problem with the computer itself per se.

Ralston18

Titan
On the desktop computer look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for any errors that correspond with the times of bad packet losses.

Reliability History is much more user friendly so start there.

Update the desktop's network adapter drivers just as a matter of elimination.

Manually download the drivers via the applicable manufacturer's website(s). Reinstall and reconfigure.

Try running the built in Windows Troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Since two adapters were affected it could be a Windows file problem (versus drivers).

Try "sfc /scannnow" and "dism" via the Command Prompt.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

https://www.howtogeek.com/222532/ho...-system-files-with-the-sfc-and-dism-commands/

So, really weird issue here. I've been getting bad packet loss while gaming on my desktop for quite some time now. All this time, I assumed it was my ISP's fault, but I'm starting to think i was wrong. I used another laptop in my house to ping to the router to test packet loss, and i get NO packet loss on the laptop while pinging. Not a single packet. I ping from my desktop at the exact same time as my laptop is going, and i see packet loss on my desktop but none on my laptop still. So, I figured, maybe it was my wireless adapter on my desktop. So, I used an old wireless adapter I had lying around to try that instead. Still packet loss. Next step, I thought, maybe its my computer, not the adapters? So I plugged one into my laptop and disabled the laptops internal adapter and made it use that one. No packet loss still. So it can't be the adapter. Im at a complete loss as to what's happening as it seems like its the pc itself doing it somehow and not the adapters or the router.

(And please don't click this just to comment "Use ethernet." As if I hadn't already thought of that. I would if I could.
it actually can be your anti virus if have any installed on the desktop,
if you dont have anti virus it sounds like something isn't agreeing with the drivers/components themselfs. you make sure they were compatible with your system fully?

Ideally, you'd want to benchmark this against a wired connection in the same system, but since you can't I would boot a linux live cd/usb and see if you get packet loss there. If not, it's simply a windows issue. If you do--it is some sort of network issue and not a problem with the computer itself per se.

Reactions: white.a.drew
Solution