yilmazkartal13579

Prominent
Dec 12, 2017
Hello so for about a week now I've realised when playing online games that I was lagging eventhough my ping was good (around 30) and I use an ethernet cable. I called up my ISP they said we see a problem, so the engineers came over and replaced the router and cables yet I still have the problem. So after doing a lot of research as to what could be causing this, I realised that my PC had quite a lot of packet loss. I used cmd to ping google 100 times and it would say Request Timed Out every 8 pings and I realised that as it said so that my streams and videos would also lag. So I'm pretty sure the problem is packet loss but I cannot see anywhere how I could solve this issue.
Anyone please help.
Short question --> How to get fix packet loss.
Thanks!!!

Solution
Don't worry about blanking out IP its not like the ISP care...they gave them to some unkown guy like you. The only one that has any risk would be the IP on your WAN port even the IP of your ISP router does not tell much other than what router you happen to connect to in your ISP network.

Besides you did not blank out the name and I can look the IP up with that. :)

The problem with tracert is you would have to get lucky and the failure happen while it is running and even then it would have to be testing the proper router in the path also at that time.

Your tracert actually shows no problems at all.

You can try tools like pathping but they sometime are confusing. Your best option is to ping the routers in the path yourself to...

yilmazkartal13579

Prominent
Dec 12, 2017
Yeah. I would just blank out your computer name and any private ip address (10.x.x.x or 172.x.x.x, or 192.168.x.x) and the first public IP address.

Tracing route to google.com [deleted this]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 * * * Request timed out.
2 13 ms 8 ms 8 ms hari-core-2b-xe-813-0.network.virginmedia.net [deleted this]
3 * * * Request timed out.
4 15 ms 12 ms 9 ms tcl3-ic-2-ae4-0.network.virginmedia.net [deleted this]
5 16 ms 15 ms 18 ms [deleted this]
6 * * * Request timed out.
7 13 ms 16 ms 16 ms [172. deleted this]
8 15 ms 12 ms 11 ms [172 deleted this]
9 15 ms 15 ms 13 ms lhr48s08-in-f14.1e100.net [172 deleted this]

This request time out thing is what I believe is causing this insane lag in games and streams. Thank you for your time btw!

You are timing out on your first hop which is from your computer to your router. That is never good to have timeout. Then right after from your router it is timing out to the next step. Having 3 timeout over 9 hops isn't good and would be a huge cause of your lagging.
I was off on my private address range for 172. It is 172.16.x.x to 172.31.x.x anything outside that range is public IP.

yilmazkartal13579

Prominent
Dec 12, 2017
You are timing out on your first hop which is from your computer to your router. That is never good to have timeout. Then right after from your router it is timing out to the next step. Having 3 timeout over 9 hops isn't good and would be a huge cause of your lagging.
I was off on my private address range for 172. It is 172.16.x.x to 172.31.x.x anything outside that range is public IP.
Hmm yeah it does suck still cant play anything. What can I do to solve this problem? Its not hardware related im sure because an engineer came yesterday. Thanks.

Don't worry about blanking out IP its not like the ISP care...they gave them to some unkown guy like you. The only one that has any risk would be the IP on your WAN port even the IP of your ISP router does not tell much other than what router you happen to connect to in your ISP network.

Besides you did not blank out the name and I can look the IP up with that. :)

The problem with tracert is you would have to get lucky and the failure happen while it is running and even then it would have to be testing the proper router in the path also at that time.

Your tracert actually shows no problems at all.

You can try tools like pathping but they sometime are confusing. Your best option is to ping the routers in the path yourself to find the first router that has issues.

What is very strange is the first hop which should be your router is configured to not respond to tracert and maybe ping. Just makes things harder.

Still the process is the same you just keep ping higher and higher hops until you find the one that causes the loss. You just have to ignore the ones that are configured to not respond. You really hope the problem is in the connection between your house and the ISP....generally hop2 but I am unsure in your case.

There will be nothing you can do if the problem is say in googles network, its not like you can call up tech support at google and open a ticket since you are not their customer.

Solution