Question Pairing a 10th gen I7-10700 with a budget B460 board ?

HarryGRGamer

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2014
Hey and Happy New Year

Basically, I've asked a similar question but with an i9 instead of an i7 and I understand it's a bad idea due to the Motherboard's bad VRM. an I9 is out of the picture however what about the 10700, I think it has the same TDP with the i5-10400F and it's surprisingly cheap in my country

My only main question is, will my motherboard throttle the CPU in tense situations? Also, I'm not interested in overclocking. I'll probably get the F or non-F version.

It will be the last CPU upgrade on this motherboard before I move on. I still think the 10700 is a capable CPU for what I want it to do, plus some games don't utilize 8 cores anyway, I obviously don't want to get a Z490 motherboard just to stay on this gen.

Thanks in advance!

PC- Specs
I5-10400F
RX6700XT
32GB RAM
MSI-B460Pro
Gigabyte P650B (will change, it's fine for now)

Lutfij

Titan
"Gigabyte P650B (will change, it's fine for now)"

How old is this PSU? I wouldn't hold onto anything Gigabyte make unless it was from the Aorus range of units.

Intel went sideways with the power draw on their processors and the lack of a VRM heatsink does not inspire me to recommend anything beyond your i5. You could mitigate that concern by adding on some heatsinks onto the VRM area and make sure you have a fan blowing across it.

The best and definite way you could move forward with an upgrade is not buying a new processor and swapping the motherboard, cpu and ram in one go to get the best out of your investment.

TRENDING THREADS